Best networking solution from first to 3rd floor in house

connbob

Hi, I've just moved from the first floor, with a direct line to the router, to the third floor of the house with my computer. I would like to know the best solution for getting the best of my speeds up here. With some testing of both my brother and I's laptop, we discovered I'd get around 2/3  of the speed (300mbps) we are being provided using 5GHz, and about a 1/3 of the speed on 2GHz. Before I go out and buy a wireless card for my computer, are there any other solutions you could suggest, or are there any cards you'd recommend? I also believe that powerline adapters do not work in our house after a rewire of the electrics, unless 4 homeplugs broke.

Cheers, Conn

EDIT: I'm currently bridging connections from my laptop, and getting from 12mbps to 114mbps (2ghz - 5ghz)

Power Line adapters? Probably the best sollution.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

Wire a cable up the side of the house

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

If the house is brick there will be a cavity between the outside wall and the inside will, drop an Ethernet cable down it (this is the best way but not the cheapest or quickest solution)

5 hours ago, connbob said:

Hi, I've just moved from the first floor, with a direct line to the router, to the third floor of the house with my computer. I would like to know the best solution for getting the best of my speeds up here. With some testing of both my brother and I's laptop, we discovered I'd get around 2/3  of the speed (300mbps) we are being provided using 5GHz, and about a 1/3 of the speed on 2GHz. Before I go out and buy a wireless card for my computer, are there any other solutions you could suggest, or are there any cards you'd recommend? I also believe that powerline adapters do not work in our house after a rewire of the electrics, unless 4 homeplugs broke.

Cheers, Conn

EDIT: I'm currently bridging connections from my laptop, and getting from 12mbps to 114mbps (2ghz - 5ghz)

Here are your options in order from Best to shit

Ethernet 

MOCA

Powerline

WiFi 

If running Ethernet is an issue, maybe your lucky and your home is already wired up for Coax, MOCA can get anywhere from 400 Mbps to 800 Mbps real world. If power line doesnt work as you said, then you may have to stick to WiFi. If so, 5Ghz is your friend and you will have to settle for what it can provide. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.