Overclock Ryzen 1600 w/ Stock Cooler?

So, would I be able to overclock the Ryzen 5 1600 with the stock cooler easily enough? I'm trying to decide between it and the 1600X, and I have no experience overclocking, so would it be too difficult with the stock cooler to get it near the clock of the 1600X? If not the stock cooler, which other cooler, or is the 1600X worth it for only $30 more? I really appreciate your help.

Just now, Spartemex said:

So, would I be able to overclock the Ryzen 5 1600 with the stock cooler easily enough? I'm trying to decide between it and the 1600X, and I have no experience overclocking, so would it be too difficult with the stock cooler to get it near the clock of the 1600X? If not the stock cooler, which other cooler, or is the 1600X worth it for only $30 more? I really appreciate your help.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. As far as I've been able to figure - people say the stock cooler with the 1600 is good enough but obviously not the best. I've seen reviewers such as Hardware Unboxed have massive temps when overclocked. If you find you have that issue I'd suggest something from Cooler Master's 212 Series or some of the BeQuiet or Cryorig coolers. One thing I would say is that since you plan to OC, don't bother with the 1600X.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

1 minute ago, Inversion said:

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. As far as I've been able to figure - people say the stock cooler with the 1600 is good enough but obviously not the best. I've seen reviewers such as Hardware Unboxed have massive temps when overclocked. If you find you have that issue I'd suggest something from Cooler Master's 212 Series or some of the BeQuiet or Cryorig coolers. One thing I would say is that since you plan to OC, don't bother with the 1600X.

Alright, so if I do plan to overclock, maybe pick up a better cooler? I have no experience with it, so is it terribly difficult to overclock? And thank you for the suggestions.

AFAIK the 1600X doesn't come with the stock cooler.

And you can OC to about 3.7-3.8GHz with the stock cooler.

Only the 1600 comes with stock cooler, nothing for X. Its fine for a mild OC, dont expect to get everything out of your chip though. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Stock cooler is okay for mild overclocks the X and none X have the same overclocking capabilities.
Comes down to the silicone how high you can overclock the chip.

If you want to overclock the only reason to get the X is when you are going over 3,8 so you would need an aftermarket cooler anyway.

I just bult a system with a 1600. Stock cooler is meh, i thought i could live with this but it a no go, bone stock i was idlying at 45-50C. Reseated the cooler same thing after i checked the voltages i saw that in auto the CPU spiked at 1.42V. I OC'd @ 3.8 but with stability issues am trying to work em although now i reduced voltage down to 1.38V fixed I idle at 40C (and reseated + repaste the cooler with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut) . Ram also is finicky cant make em work at 3000 mhz without crashing. 

TL:DR: get an aftermarket cooler.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W