Building NAS For Father <Need Advice>

Just now, mrbilky said:

I just finished my build and used an old pre built HP Envy with a i7 6700 and 16gigs of DDR4 a total of 5 drives using unRAID but I'm using NAS drives I would think those drives you chose at 7200rpm might see a lot of heat unless the os has a good gui with the option of spin down not familiar with that os but I guess it should be able to do that.

That kind of build would be waayy overkill for this guy. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157494&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

This would be a suitable motherboard. 

1 minute ago, computer1up said:

I agree an i7 6700 deserves better but it was just lying around without a mission in life I was leading to the idea that if he could find a nice pre built for the kinda budget he has it would be something to consider add a couple drives and an os and its golden doesn't sound like he's trying to fire up the whole house with a network if so $300 is cutting it short

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

Just now, mrbilky said:

I agree an i7 6700 deserves better but it was just lying around without a mission in life I was leading to the idea that if he could find a nice pre built for the kinda budget he has it would be something to consider add a couple drives and an os and its golden doesn't sound like he's trying to fire up the whole house with a network if so $300 is cutting it short

While that's true, there are much better and more reliable ways to do it. It fully recommend against using a prebuilt system. If it worked for you, that's fine. But I get the idea that the OP is still rather novice in this area and something simpler would be a better start, definitely if he's building it for someone else. I mean, that's not to insult him but I think that if he wants to actually build, install, troubleshoot, and repair his own system, he'd be better off if he had a bit more experience. Though I might be wrong, that's the impression I get. 

19 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

For you I see your point and I was only taking about raid 01 because I am pretty sure the case I found only has space for 3 3.5" drives and an ssd slot. And I will take all this infor into account and correct the page. Thank you.

If I were to give you my suggestion about RAID 01 vs RAID 10 w/ 3 HDD's:

I would go RAID 1 instead, and use the third drive as a "Hot Spare". Basically, it's plugged in and connected to the computer/OS. When the RAID array is created, you add the third drive as a Hot Spare. When one of the other drives die, the RAID software will then automatically start rebuilding the array using the spare drive.

You can then replace the dead drive as time permits, and the replacement becomes the new Hot Spare.

Keep in mind, you'll have to find out if the OS/RAID Manager you intend to use actually supports using a Hot Spare.

If you want to use more than 2 drives, get a case that can handle 4 drives, and do RAID 10 or RAID 5.

I would quite simply avoid RAID 01 completely.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If I were to give you my suggestion about RAID 01 vs RAID 10 w/ 3 HDD's:

I would go RAID 1 instead, and use the third drive as a "Hot Spare". Basically, it's plugged in and connected to the computer/OS. When the RAID array is created, you add the third drive as a Hot Spare. When one of the other drives die, the RAID software will then automatically start rebuilding the array using the spare drive.

You can then replace the dead drive as time permits, and the replacement becomes the new Hot Spare.

Keep in mind, you'll have to find out if the OS/RAID Manager you intend to use actually supports using a Hot Spare.

If you want to use more than 2 drives, get a case that can handle 4 drives, and do RAID 10 or RAID 5.

I would quite simply avoid RAID 01 completely.

I like this idea I'll update the post when I get information from my father since he's the one providing the funds.