System won't power on

Go to solution Solved by lfcvfddvredline,

Well in the process of removing the CPU from the tray it's come out of the holder and damaged pins on the motherboard.

Time to start again.

Hi everyone,

Currently stumped on why my system won't turn on.

I've just built it over the past 2 days with the following specs:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x

Motherboard: Asus Zenith Extreme X399

PSU: Corsair AX860

RAM: 64gb G-Skill 3200mb DDR4 (8 * 8gb sticks CAS 14)

The RGB lights on the motherboard light up along with the on board power/reset lights but all the other LED indicators stay blank. I know the ones next to the 2 CPU 8 pins work as I have turned the PSU on without them plugged in and they lit up. The GPU LED (Asus Strix GTX 970 being used until a 1080ti is delivered during the coming week) lights up white but was red when I disconnected the PCI-e power cable.

Have also tried with 1 ram stick in 

Wondering if the CPU is damaged or the lanes around it as I did have to put a lot more force onto the board than I would've liked to get the No.1 screw to screw in. The no 2 & 3 aren't screwed in as they won't reach. Or could it be because of 2 & 3 not being screwed in. Not really wanting to touch this bit as it took nearly 3 hours just to get the 1st to catch so it could screw in. Have seen others posts regarding this as well.

Any suggestions?

Well in the process of removing the CPU from the tray it's come out of the holder and damaged pins on the motherboard.

Time to start again.

1 hour ago, lfcvfddvredline said:

Wondering if the CPU is damaged or the lanes around it as I did have to put a lot more force onto the board than I would've liked to get the No.1 screw to screw in. The no 2 & 3 aren't screwed in as they won't reach.

That sounds like the CPU wasn't aligned in the socket properly.

Asus used a similar mounting tool to guide CPUs into sockets on some of the LGA2011v3 X99 boards, small defects in the mounting bracket often resulted in incorrect mounting pressure and made it more difficult to install the CPU. I would not have expected TR4 to have these issues, but it could be a similar problem.