2 psus 1 computer

so i have a pc with an i5 4460 and an rx 480 (undervolted) running on a 350w psu. 
my brother wants to overclock, so i decided to go loot some of my dead pcs. i found a 375w psu in a computer that had a pentium 4... so very old.
im just wondering, with a molex to pcie adapter, could the gpu run off that power supply alone and the mobo, ram and cpu run of the 350w psu i have now? or would that be dangerous and stupid. 

Thanks

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

you should be able to run  everything off 1 PSU  since the cpu is practically free in the usage.

but yeah, you can run dual PSUs if you want.  I have an AX1200i doing nothing but powering hard drives for my storage server.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Don't use molex to PCIe, I've seen way too many horror stories of those catching fire. If you get a slightly better secondary PSU you can.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

you should be able to run  everything off 1 PSU  since the cpu is practically free in the usage.

but yeah, you can run dual PSUs if you want.  I have an AX1200i doing nothing but powering hard drives for my storage server.

no, i cant. even with an undervolt it shuts down sometimes. its only rated at 350w for a short amount of time, and the 480 has a 150w tfp. sure, its lowered with ther undervolt but its still taking a lot of power

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Don't use molex to PCIe, I've seen way too many horror stories of those catching fire. If you get a slightly better secondary PSU you can.

well we already are using that on it, as the 350w doesnt have a 6 pin either. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Nickathom said:

well we already are using that on it, as the 350w doesnt have a 6 pin either. 

Oh...

Buy a better power supply.

Spoiler

In theory you could use two, highly inadvisable though.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Oh...

Buy a better power supply.

Hide contents

In theory you could use two, highly inadvisable though.

haha, yeah, thats the plan. this is only going to be a temporary solution. though could old power supplies damage my pc?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

I'd really recommend checking the PSU list and getting something with enough wattage and fits an acceptable price range for you.

MacGyvering PSU's into one system is doable, but likely to cause more issues than they alleviate.

Check my signature for the list.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

I'd really recommend checking the PSU list and getting something with enough wattage and fits an acceptable price range for you.

MacGyvering PSU's into one system is doable, but likely to cause more issues than they alleviate.

Check my signature for the list.

i know, i know, we plan to upgrade. 
what are some of the problems?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

3 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

haha, yeah, thats the plan. this is only going to be a temporary solution. though could old power supplies damage my pc?

Possibly, but if it's temporary (a month or less) you'll be fine.

✨PC Specs✨

Possibly, but if it's temporary (a month or less) you'll be fine.

what could go wrong? 

that wasnt sarcasm it was an honest question lol

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

what could go wrong? 

Well worst case scenario is that it catches on fire.

✨PC Specs✨

Well worst case scenario is that it catches on fire.

i see... what are some... less worst case scenarios? 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

Individual parts dying, like the PSU, GPU, CPU, Motherboard, etc.

✨PC Specs✨

3 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

your GPU just dies i guess, or the PSU goes pop and kills the entire system

do not ever cheap out on PSU's!

Just now, RollinLower said:

your GPU just dies i guess, or the PSU goes pop and kills the entire system

do not ever cheap out on PSu's!

how would they die?

Individual parts dying, like the PSU, GPU, CPU, Motherboard, etc.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

what could go wrong? 

Just the fact that they're two separate power feeds going into one system can (it's rare) give issues, uneven power flow is just asking for random reboots lol. Mainly it's the practicality, where are you putting the second PSU? How are you going to turn it on? And then you'll end up with power supplies starting up independently of one another etc. So you're mobo and cpu will boot then a second later the GPU? Again, if it's all you have for now and you want to mess around go for it. But personally I wouldn't bother. There's nothing quite like an old PSU to crap our and kill a GPU.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

how would they die?

Probably something like too much voltage or incorrect power delivery.

✨PC Specs✨

1 minute ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Just the fact that they're two separate power feeds going into one system can (it's rare) give issues, uneven power flow is just asking for random reboots lol. Mainly it's the practicality, where are you putting the second PSU? How are you going to turn it on? And then you'll end up with power supplies starting up independently of one another etc. So you're mobo and cpu will boot then a second later the GPU? Again, if it's all you have for now and you want to mess around go for it. But personally I wouldn't bother. There's nothing quite like an old PSU to crap our and kill a GPU.

wouldnt it turn on automatically?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

wouldnt it turn on automatically?

nope, you would need to jumpstart it through the 24pin connector. that's how they normally start too, but then the circuit closes through the mobo to start the system :P

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

nope, you would need to jumpstart it through the 24pin connector. that's how they normally start too, but then the circuit closes through the mobo to start the system :P

oh... damn. how would i turn it on that way? and would it shock me? would the power going to the parts at different times cause damage?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

oh... damn. how would i turn it on that way? and would it shock me? would the power going to the parts at different times cause damage?

Use a paperclip to connect 2 pins on the 24pin connector, look it up.

And no that thing specifically shouldn't damage your parts.

✨PC Specs✨

well, normally a system won't boot when the power cables to the GPU arn't properly connected (debug code 99 i believe), so you would need to have the power going to the GPU on before starting the system. (atleast, that's my experience!)