Did I damage my NVme drive? Samsung EVO 960 M.2

Stargazer13

Greetings,

When I installed my Samsung NVme EVO 960 M.2 drive on my motherboard, I forgot to put in the stand off screw and started to screw the M.2 drive onto the board. I realized this and unscrewed it and put in the stand off screw and then screwed the M.2 drive to that. Now did I potentially dmg the M.2 drive or the motherboard (M.2 slot on the motherboard) when I screwed on the M.2 drive to the motherboard without the standoff screw? Because it wasn't straight/flat, and the M.2 drive was screwed on at an angle. I'm thinking I could have overextended the M.2 slot on the board when I did this and dmged the M.2 drive itself, or the M.2 slot on the motherboard. Any information would be appreciated

1 minute ago, Stargazer13 said:

Greetings,

When I installed my Samsung NVme EVO 960 M.2 drive on my motherboard, I forgot to put in the stand off screw and started to screw the M.2 drive onto the board. I realized this and unscrewed it and put in the stand off screw and then screwed the M.2 drive to that. Now did I potentially dmg the M.2 drive or the motherboard (M.2 slot on the motherboard) when I screwed on the M.2 drive to the motherboard without the standoff screw? Because it wasn't straight/flat, and the M.2 drive was screwed on at an angle. I'm thinking I could have overextended the M.2 slot on the board when I did this and dmged the M.2 drive itself, or the M.2 slot on the motherboard. Any information would be appreciated

Radical idea: Turn it on, test it, and find out.

If you killed it, testing it won't kill it more.  If you didn't kill it, then it's fine.

We can't really answer this question for you.

The computer is running fine. I just notice the system stuttering when I was entering my password when I booted my computer. This doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes. So I was wondering maybe if it was the NVme drive.

Depends If you screwed it in super tight or just like half way and stopped. However, if you run a drive stress test or benchmark (Samsung Magician or CrystalDiskMark) and everything seems okay without anything abnormal with the speeds or anything, then it should be fine. The stuttering when booting up could just be windows being windows.

It's still something we can't answer for you, unless we had the computer in front of us. 

Take out the m.2 drive,  does the computer still stutter?  Yes?

It wasn't the m.2 drive causing the issue

no?

Insert the M.2 drive again,  does it stutter?

Yes?  Its the m.2 drive

No... etc.