Is AngularJS compatible with Linux?

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

And the slightly more involved answer is that Angular is a javascript framework that runs in the browser, so you can use it on any operating system you like; for programming it it, you can use any text editor, though an IDE with angular support or a plugin for it might make things slightly easier, with autocomplete and features like that. Compatible IDEs are available on all platforms; Visual Studio Code is an example that has support built in and runs on the major platforms (Win, Mac and Linux).

Just now, Dat Guy said:

No, why? The C standard is perfectly portable. Which one feature from which recent C standard is not available on Windows?

It seems you know what C is and you would perfectly agree if I say it is not a blasphemy that it is just not going to be "that portable" with big projects on other operating systems even with the same compiler (that are not identical anyway) unless you are used tp just program in C with an hello world printf.

Just no one develops C programs unironically on Windows anyway, not only because compilation performs poorly, and the environment are unsuitable (windows shell, IDEs lmao)

So my guess but it seems you are just trolling, or maybe just hate linux that from some reason (I don't like that much anyway, but still I'm not considering it worse than Windows especially for programming)

Just now, Dat Guy said:

You are free to choose whether this is a lie or simply a misinformation on your side. Of course System V Unix still exists, both in commercial (AIX, HP-UX, Solaris) and free (illumos) flavors. No, it is not "made by the (dissolved) Bell Labs" anymore, but I sincerely hope that this is not the only thing that you consider to be essential for "a Unix".

Dude maybe the "original unix" which I meant initially exists because a guy illegally distributed in form of binaries on the internet but since it was proprietary it doesn't technically exists anymore because neither the source code is stored somewhere anymore and the owners don't sell it anymore, of course I do not meant the one mades from the unix war ages
Still, I have not intended to discuss just on names anyway, I'm not a native speaker but I think it's clear that's not what I intended.

I still see some companies in my country using SCO UNIX with full of proprietary customization but I won't call that just "Unix" anyway.

14 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Just no one develops C programs unironically on Windows anyway

I do - and I test them on Unix then. Guess whether they work. (Spoiler: They do. Perfectly.) Some compiler specialties can be circumvented with #ifdefs if you absolutely need platform-specific code (which I cannot advise).

not only because compilation performs poorly, and the environment are unsuitable

I disagree.

IDEs lmao

Why do you think Emacs or Acme on Windows are worse than on toy OSs?

my guess but it seems you are just trolling, or maybe just hate linux that from some reason

Neither is correct. I use Windows, UNIX (illumos) and BSD side-by-side and I usually try to port all of my applications to each of them (except if they specifically target one OS for some reason). I fail to understand why anyone would want to use Linux, but I especially disagree with your claim that Windows was unusable for C development. Just don't use the Microsoft compiler and IDE for it and you'll be fine. Neither do I.

maybe the "original unix" which I meant initially exists because a guy illegally distributed in form of binaries on the internet

Unix (the pre-AT&T versions, of course...) had always been open source (but commercial) software. There was no "proprietary code" when it was initiated.

neither the source code is stored somewhere anymore

Here you go: https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl

but I won't call that just "Unix" anyway.

Why not?

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Why do you think Emacs or Acme on Windows are worse than on toy OSs?

I don't, it is just masochism to run that software on Windows judging from the amount of effort needed instead of just using linux and install them (if by acme you meant the plan9 editor) like using Linux instead for gaming or when having driver or strange issues 

Compilation speed are just going to be faster in any case on Linux, do you even tried to do that? Couldn't think anything else unless you use specific GPU accelerated libraries. 

Well, just do what you want I guess

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Unix had always been open source (but commercial) software. There was no "proprietary code" when it was initiated.

Here you go: https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl

source code =/= open source =/= commercial =/= 

Still the legal owner of that code sue you, and that happened

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Why not?

Just in my experience by "unix" people always meant the original version before the whole "war", not the variants that are present today, or just a generic "unix-like" OS but not just a specific certified one, the certification thing is just a name

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

it is just masochism to run that software on Windows

Running Emacs on Windows is basically "download, unzip, start the .exe". What's masochist about this? I agree with the Acme part though, but it was fun to set up, honestly.

2 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Compilation speed are just going to be faster in any case on Linux, do you even tried to do that?

Please show me the cross-platform code that compiles faster on Linux than on Windows. I'm happy to help you out with benchmarks.

3 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Still the legal owner of that code sue you, and that happened

The legal owner of Research Unix, the (now defunct) Caldera Ltd., has released it under a BSD license in 2002. I highly doubt that anybody will sue you for sharing BSD-licensed code. Please update your facts.

6 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Just in my experience by "unix" people always meant the original version before the whole "war"

I don't.

6 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

the certification thing is just a joke 

I agree.

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

It was fun to set up, honestly.

Good for you, for me fun is not wasting time on productivity tbh

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Please show me the cross-platform code that compiles faster on Linux than on Windows. I'm happy to help you out with benchmarks.

Well the first result I can find on google in the first 3 seconds was

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=2

But basically just anything related to raw CPU performance compared to windows you can find on Phoronix, it's not just my impression when I run or compile software on Linux compared to Windows, not just on the sh*tty bloated GCC, not counting on the number of optimizations. 

Or just because Windows background activity would just ruin my tests anyway

Just now, Dat Guy said:

The legal owner of Research Unix, the (now defunct) Caldera Ltd., has released it under a BSD license in 2002. I highly doubt that anybody will sue you for sharing BSD-licensed code. Please update your facts.

This is not how it works, legal rights can be claimed even for dead software and companies, not going to be more specific on that

Just now, Dat Guy said:

I don't.

For most people could be just an alias of unix-like and that's just what I intended to be because of the stupidity of the certification

Edited by Guest

fun is not wasting time on productivity tbh

You're still writing here!

legal rights can be claimed even for dead software and companies

Caldera had legally acquired what was left from the Bell Labs assets.

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

You're still writing here!

I'm just with a friend on vocal chat while lurking this forum tbh

7 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Well the first result I can find on google in the first 3 seconds...

So no code by you, just "I have read that one certain code compiles faster on Linux"? I understand.

You really shouldn't do that.

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

So no code by you, just "I have read that one certain code compiles faster on Linux"? I understand.

I actually wrote more than that

Just now, Lukyp said:

Well the first result I can find on google in the first 3 seconds was

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=2

But basically just anything related to raw CPU performance compared to windows you can find on Phoronix, it's not just my impression when I run or compile software on Linux compared to Windows, not just on the sh*tty bloated GCC, not counting on the number of optimizations. 

Or just because Windows background activity would just ruin my tests anyway

I could search more deeply to confirm this but just do it for yourself if you want, I don't need confirms 

EDIT: just posting the first results I can find in the first minute

https://forum.qt.io/topic/20584/speed-performance-of-deployed-application-linux-vs-windows

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6916011/how-do-i-get-windows-to-go-as-fast-as-linux-for-compiling-c

https://www.quora.com/Is-Linux-faster-than-Windows-To-be-precise-is-a-program-run-in-Linux-faster-than-that-of-Windows-given-the-same-hardware-specification

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=488453.0

https://discuss.gradle.org/t/why-is-gradle-so-much-slower-on-windows-ntfs/20108

https://blog.segger.com/comparing-performance-on-windows-linux-and-os-x/

Except some stupid arguments they made, I don't see anything different on other sites.

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Linux is just better because it is not Microsoft and allow you to do literally whatever okay? Plus, it's open sourced. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

14 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Linux is not a Unix, it does not even try to be one. I am not interested in playing with a toy OS, I prefer the real deal. You can keep it, thank you.

OMG! linux is big boy OS, why? it runs on worlds most powerful supercomputers and scientists can write tough, monstrous number crunching codes that model the evolution of the entire cosmos or do an intensive fluid simulation on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercomputer_operating_systems

when windows breakaway from the nontechie consumer crowds and enter the realm of scientific experts and crunch big numbers, it can join the big boy OS club too. Right now, however, have fun with your toy. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Linux is just better because it is not Microsoft and allow you to do literally whatever okay? Plus, it's open sourced. 

Are you even trying? 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

OMG! linux is big boy OS

Does your mother know that you're using her computer? 

Write in C.

26 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Does your mother know that you're using her computer? 

She is using my computer which unlike yours, it is not a toy?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Mine is a tool, that's why I won't install colorful toys like your little wannabe Windows ("Linux") on it. 

Write in C.