Should I get a computer?

Hardfishing
5 hours ago, Hardfishing said:

I am 14 years old and I have been watching a lot of videos on building computers. I want to build one myself. However the big question here is should I? I am looking at almost 600 dollars to get an entire setup (computer, monitor, etc). So I figure i'd come on here to ask you and see what you think. I plan on using it for gaming, school work, and eventually if I decide to do it go into cad design. Please help and give me an honest answer. 

I would hold off for now and wait a couple of years. There are multiple benefits to this.

A. The CPU war that just began. It will be interesting to see what will happen. 

B. 600 isn't really "that" much, and you'll be at the bottom tier of gaming/CAD design if you are going for it. You will find yourself quickly wanting within a year or two. 

C. You are near the age where you might be able to get a summer job. Try to get one next summer, or hell, even a job mid school if you think you can handle it (not advised). You can easily get enough from a 20+ hour job across 2+ months to get a much better PC, when combined with your 600. 

2 hours ago, Hardfishing said:

Now say the ryzen 3 1200. Since it is unlocked i could over clock it and make it faster. That is 109.00 at newegg. Then as long as  i make sure all the components work with it wouldn't it be a bit better than the pentium?

single threaded performance will probably be slightly less, but you'll have a much larger upgrade path. With ryzen ram speed is pretty important, if you can get 3000 mhz it's a pretty good spot for price/performance. Also once you choose the mobo you're gonna get check their website for their qvl for ram compatibility, corsair vengeance tends to be on most.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W