RX Vega 56 & 64 are HERE! Are they HOT or NOT?

19 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

vega FE has double the vram, more driver choices such as dedicated compute or workstation firepro drivers. Firepro has more vram and ECC though, so the cards have their places. If you were going to consider a gtx 1070 instead of a titan for your workstation or compute needs that basically means budget performance, different from getting a budget quadro or firepro. AMD has brought compute to the low end for quite a while, giving you 4 tiers to choose from if doing professional or compute work. Budget pro card, budget performance card, workstation performance card and pro performance cards. Im not sure if AMD has mid end firepro cards though like quadro has. Its very similar to choice with nvidia but with a big twist - budget card (gtx cards), budget pro cards, workstation class cards (like titans), pro performance cards. Both brands have server cards too. So unlike nvidia AMD doesnt strip anything from their gaming cards making them a budget choice for professional workloads that require performance but not the drivers, extra vram or even ECC or perhaps the display features the pro cards offer whereas on the same level from nvidia, the cards dont really perform well at compute or professional work or even CAD compared to their AMD equivalent as its not only the DFP and HFP that nvidia nerfs but also the bus and cache too.

So even though AMD didnt win in gaming for this generation, they still provided to the market something that nvidia didnt fill since they strip their gaming cards.

these are GAMING CARDS, why are you talking about using them as WORKSTATION cards? that was my point from the beginning.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

these are GAMING CARDS, why are you talking about using them as WORKSTATION cards? that was my point from the beginning.

first and foremost, they are graphics cards, so they apply to any graphical application. You could use an nvidia tesla for gaming if you wanted to, theres no  card specific to gaming or compute or anything else, only the card that is best for a specific purpose.

Just now, System Error Message said:

first and foremost, they are graphics cards, so they apply to any graphical application. You could use an nvidia tesla for gaming if you wanted to, theres no  card specific to gaming or compute or anything else, only the card that is best for a specific purpose.

yeah but when people tested the gaming performance of the Frontier Edition Vega cards all the fanboys where saying "wait for the GAMING CARDS, this is NOT a GAMING CARD", now the ACTUAL GAMING CARDS come along and you are ignoring the GAMING performance and focusing on the types of workloads you would use a Frontier Edition for.

You can't have it both games, you can't scream "this is not a gaming card", then ignore the gaming aspect of the GAMING CARDS, just because they are good at other things, people buy gaming cards for GAMING.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

yeah but when people tested the gaming performance of the Frontier Edition Vega cards all the fanboys where saying "wait for the GAMING CARDS, this is NOT a GAMING CARD", now the ACTUAL GAMING CARDS come along and you are ignoring the GAMING performance and focusing on the types of workloads you would use a Frontier Edition for.

You can't have it both games, you can't scream "this is not a gaming card", then ignore the gaming aspect of the GAMING CARDS, just because they are good at other things, people buy gaming cards for GAMING.

im not ignoring the gaming side of it, its good but apparently too many care about whats the fastest and fame. So im saying a different side the cards excel on too if they arent the fastest at gaming.

28 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

im not ignoring the gaming side of it, its good but apparently too many care about whats the fastest and fame. So im saying a different side the cards excel on too if they arent the fastest at gaming.

fastest for the money is important tho especially at the 400-700 dollar price point

Vega 64 Liquid is at the price of a 1080ti Founders Card, that 1080ti will absolutely smoke Vega 64 as exampled by the regular 1080 beating the absolute crap out of the Vega 64 air in BitWit's video. making the Liquid model an absolutely STUPID buy.

also the MINIMAL performance difference between the Vega 56 and 64 Air cards makes Vega 64 a VERY VERY BAD BUY, especially with the $100 markup being instituted over MSRP, making Vega 64 50% more then Vega 56 even at normal pricing it's 25% more for 8% more performance, just a VERY BAD buy, the cards are TO CLOSE together in the performance for such a large price difference.

and if you are spending 400+ dollars on a GPU another 100 bucks to get a 1080 over the 56 is a MUCH better buy from a Frames Per Dollar perspective once you factor in overclocking like done in BitWit's video, FPS per DOLLAR is important, that is part of what made the RX480 such a great value at the 200 dollar price point, it was a little more then half the performance of a 1080 for a FRACTION the price, unfortunately once you get away from stock clocks Vega just get's it's but handed to it in gaming from the Frames Per Dollar perspective.

would you pay 400-700 dollars to get something that gives you WORSE performance then the competition?

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

fastest for the money is important tho especially at the 400-700 dollar price point

Vega 64 Liquid is at the price of a 1080ti Founders Card, that 1080ti will absolutely smoke Vega 64 as exampled by the regular 1080 beating the absolute crap out of the Vega 64 air in BitWit's video. making the Liquid model an absolutely STUPID buy.

also the MINIMAL performance difference between the Vega 56 and 64 Air cards makes Vega 64 a VERY VERY BAD BUY, especially with the $100 markup being instituted over MSRP, making Vega 64 50% more then Vega 56 even at normal pricing it's 25% more for 8% more performance, just a VERY BAD buy, the cards are TO CLOSE together in the performance for such a large price difference.

and if you are spending 400+ dollars on a GPU another 100 bucks to get a 1080 over the 56 is a MUCH better buy from a Frames Per Dollar perspective once you factor in overclocking like done in BitWit's video, FPS per DOLLAR is important, that is part of what made the RX480 such a great value at the 200 dollar price point, it was a little more then half the performance of a 1080 for a FRACTION the price, unfortunately once you get away from stock clocks Vega just get's it's but handed to it in gaming from the Frames Per Dollar perspective.

would you pay 400-700 dollars to get something that gives you WORSE performance then the competition?

depends on the programs you use. I noticed some interesting differences in some games especially at different settings. For example the vega FE was slower than a titan xp in watch dogs 2, and when i turned off AA and set extra details to 100% which significantly reduces the titan's fps, the vega FE lost only a couple of fps. Both cards handle different settings differently.

10 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

EVERYTIME, like clock work, first it's "Wait for Vega", now it's "Wait for Drivers", they've had the better part of a YEAR to get there drivers straight, look at how long ago they where showing off Vega, they had demos at CES which was over 8 MONTHS AGO, are you telling me they haven't fixed there drivers in 8 months?

They were prob still on pre-alpha drivers which only work with some games.

you do know it takes a lot of time to make sure the GPU drivers will run most common games and not crash flat at the stock speeds

it been the same situation with the RX480/580 GPUs which was comparing against the GTX1060

day 1 drivers, the RX480 was behind the GTX1060 in some games and maybe win a few other games.

and now fast forward months later

the RX580/480 not only able to close the gap against the GTX 1060 and other games widen the gap and left the GTX1060 for dust.

if not for the coin miners ruining the market

I would have suggest the RX580 to my buddy who is in need of a GPU upgrade from the puny GTX950 which his desktop has paired with the Acer Prebuilt gaming which has the i7 6700

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

So is the 56 not or sale yet? I can't even find listings for it

I honestly hope that if Nvidia has an issue with Volta, that AMD fanboys will remember the leniency given towards Vega. 

Also, that'd a good-looking card with two fans rather than a blower. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 8/14/2017 at 4:38 PM, Exprima said:

Eyyy I was in that intro. Line up for autographs, folks. On the real tho while I'm happy I went with a 1080 Ti it's nice to see Vega 56 be very competitive with the 1070.

I was in one ages ago.

LinusSnorax.png.4dc793c345418e296bc6115b3df19621.pnglinusDaniel.png.f90147931642e770f11a3b35af4f4428.png