Do you guys in the world ever get more Internet speed than you paid for ?

usually cable ISPs dont like giving you upload. Still for 300/20 your upload ratio is worse than BT like ISPs. With VDSL on BT infrastructure you get 25% upload to download compared to virgin media but the speeds you get are restricted by the technology. With cable they boast their docsis speeds but uploads actually suck compared to downloads.

This is a big deal to me too and not only that, virgin media gives you a crappy router, BT like ISPs give you a decent router.

The other thing is traffic bias, virgin media will cap you if you download or upload too much within an hour. So while you can get higher speeds you are also capped if you accidently use it all too quickly.

1 hour ago, System Error Message said:

usually cable ISPs dont like giving you upload. Still for 300/20 your upload ratio is worse than BT like ISPs. With VDSL on BT infrastructure you get 25% upload to download compared to virgin media but the speeds you get are restricted by the technology. With cable they boast their docsis speeds but uploads actually suck compared to downloads.

This is a big deal to me too and not only that, virgin media gives you a crappy router, BT like ISPs give you a decent router.

The other thing is traffic bias, virgin media will cap you if you download or upload too much within an hour. So while you can get higher speeds you are also capped if you accidently use it all too quickly.

Its not that they dont like giving. Originally the cable system was not setup to have an up direction. Also, the Docsis standard tends to have less upload channels then download. Though Cable Labs is working on a full duplex version of Docsis 3.1. It should be able to theoretically do speeds up to 10 Gbps down and 10 Gbps up. Though Im not sure when the standard will be ready. Comcast has already said they are committed. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

45 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Its not that they dont like giving. Originally the cable system was not setup to have an up direction. Also, the Docsis standard tends to have less upload channels then download. Though Cable Labs is working on a full duplex version of Docsis 3.1. It should be able to theoretically do speeds up to 10 Gbps down and 10 Gbps up. Though Im not sure when the standard will be ready. Comcast has already said they are committed. 

comcast is american, virgin not only is an isp but operate transport and many more things and they suck at transport too. their trains are always late and over crowded, stuff is unhelpful and they dont kick people off who sit in the seat you booked despite asking. its a horrible experience. i can onlt imagine how bad their flight service is. virgin media has the chance of offering decent uploads like some cable isps in america but they dont.

9 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

comcast is american, virgin not only is an isp but operate transport and many more things and they suck at transport too. their trains are always late and over crowded, stuff is unhelpful and they dont kick people off who sit in the seat you booked despite asking. its a horrible experience. i can onlt imagine how bad their flight service is. virgin media has the chance of offering decent uploads like some cable isps in america but they dont.

Yes, but Docsis is Docsis. Its a standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS Heres some info on it. There is a European standard as well, which is slightly different then our standard here. Trust me, Comcast only can provide 35Mbps up on their 1Gbps down service. So your cable providers are not the only ones screwing you on upload. 

Comcast is not only a ISP/ Cable provider they also own NBC and Universal Studios. As well as just started offing Cellular Phone service (Heavily dependent on WiFi and the Verizon Network). While Virgin might have late trains, Comcast has a 1TB cap shittier if you ask me. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I've never seen anything as much as 80 higher, but on a usual day I get about 20-30 Mb/s higher. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2