Adjust fan speed without PWM?

Xdrone
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
2 minutes ago, Xdrone said:

Ok cool, so if I go through with this purchase of fans and mobo, I will successfully be able to adjust a fan speed curve even if the fans are not PWM using the mobo BIOS?

Yes you'll have the option to vary it within the BIOS. 

I will be getting six Corsair SP120 RGB fans for my PC, but they aren't PWM.

The Msi z270 gaming m5 motherboard has fan speed control in the BIOS:

IMG_2260.PNG.bfc7a19959a1694a88033d995e2cbe47.PNGIMG_2261.PNG.061c642b4846c7df46ffce128bf67ba8.PNGIMG_2262.PNG.31ffd37e9fc614b7c440018195248948.PNG

The fans are not PWM, so I'm guessing they are DC because they have 3 pins.

So will I be able to manage the fan speeds of my non-pwm, three pin fans? Does PWM really matter?

Just now, Xdrone said:

I will be getting six Corsair SP120 RGB fans for my PC, but they aren't PWM.

The Msi z270 gaming m5 motherboard has fan speed control in the BIOS:

The fans are not PWM, so I'm guessing they are DC because they have 3 pins.

So will I be able to manage the fan speeds of my non-pwm, three pin fans? Does PWM really matter?

Yes that motherboard allows for you to switch between the option for DC voltage control or PWM, where 3 pin fans will require DC voltage control for you to vary the speeds.

As for PWM the main benefit I see from it is being able to do large group controlled fans from a single motherboard header using externally power fan hubs where DC voltage control is limited by the amperage output of the header and the number of fans. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Yes that motherboard allows for you to switch between the option for DC voltage control or PWM, where 3 pin fans will require DC voltage control for you to vary the speeds.

As for PWM the main benefit I see from it is being able to do large group controlled fans from a single motherboard header using externally power fan hubs where DC voltage control is limited by the amperage output of the header and the number of fans. 

Ok cool, so if I go through with this purchase of fans and mobo, I will successfully be able to adjust a fan speed curve even if the fans are not PWM using the mobo BIOS?

2 minutes ago, Xdrone said:

Yes you'll have the option to vary it within the BIOS.