Connecting Case Fans

thedons1983
Go to solution Solved by thedons1983,

As an update, I've decided to keep the two pre-installed FN V2's as exhausts, and will be connecting them directly to the PSU via a molex to 3x 3pin 7V connector.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-alchemy-molex-to-3pin-x3-fan-adaptor-7v-20cm-red-cm-106-bx.html

This allows both fans to be run in tandem at a set voltage of 7V, straight from the PSU.  Hopefully the FN V2's are quiet enough at this level, but if not the same cable comes in a 5V version as well.

I've also bought two BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm DC fans to act as intakes in the front.  They will connect to the one remaining available header on my MB, via a splitter cable, and I will then control them in tandem using Speedfan and DC voltage control.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/rhinocables-Quality-splitter-Computer-extension/dp/B01FWBQM1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502566170&sr=8-1&keywords=rhinocables+High+Quality+30cm+Braided+Fan+splitter+3+pin

If all goes to plan, this should be give me exactly what I wanted to achieve, and the only concern for me now is whether the included fans are any good or not, and also whether the Pure Wings 2 are any good or not either!  I'd have preferred Silent Wings 3, or some other more premium fan, but considering I got both Pure Wings fans for the same price of a single Silent Wings 3 fan, hopefully they'll be good value at least.  If not, they can always be returned!

As an aside, the Corsair SP120s are very definitely being returned.  I'm well without the return period, but the vendor (Very.co.uk) is willing to accept a return and refund anyway, which is awesome!  Honestly the SP120s are just plain awful.  They are noisy and whiny and although performance wise they work just fine, they offend my ears a lot!

Thanks to all posters for giving me advice, I know I didn't follow much of it, but the back and forth helped focus my mind on what I wanted to achieve, and hopefully I've finally done so.  We shall see!  Cheers

I need some advice please on how best to go about sorting out my fan setup, as I'm going around in circles trying to work everything out!  I've just bought an NZXT S340 Elite and when it arrives I will be transplanting my current Mini-ITX build into it.  Here's the component list from pcpartpicker, if that helps:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pMmfTH

In my current Node 304, I have two 92mm fans as intake and a single 140mm exhaust.  All three are connected to the cases' built in 3 position (high, medium, low) fan controller, and are powered by molex.  They are therefore not controllable by software or the BIOS, but I prefer it this way as I set them at "medium" and just leave them there permanently.  My CPU cooler, however, is connected to the MB CPU fan header and is controlled by temps via speedfan.  This works very well for me, and I would like to achieve a similar setup in the S340.

The S340 has one rear and one top mounted fan both acting as exhausts (NZXT FN V2 120mm - 3pin), both of which are expected to be connected straight to the PSU via molex.  That idea obviously stinks as the fans will just run full RPMs constantly.  As the S340 has no intake fans out of the box, I'll be adding two Corsair SP120 3pin fans that I have lying around.  My CPU cooler has one fan which will be plugged into the CPU fan header and controlled by speedfan as before.  That leaves four fans, but only one other free fan header.  However the fans are connected I will be running them at a constant speed, probably in the 50% RPM or 7V range.  The fans running 100% is not an option and I do not want them to be temperature controlled either.  The system fan header is 4 pin and can run in PWM or DC mode by switching it in the BIOS, if that's relevant.

Therefore, in order to achieve this, can I:

1. Use a simple splitter or hub for the four fans and attach them to the one fan header?  I would use a splitter or hub that is powered either by SATA or molex, as I don't want to overload the header. 
  2. If so, is it okay to use two different kinds of fan on the same splitter?  Or is that gonna lead to funky behaviour due to different RPM range, etc?
  3. If the four fans cannot be controlled all together, is it possible to attach one matching pair of fans direct to the PSU, but also retain some sort of manual voltage control?  I've thought of low noise adapters, but can only find Noctua ones, and they say that they may work with other fans but that they can't guarantee anything, blah, blah...
  4. All four fans will be replaced in time, as I don't like the SP120's (too loud) and don't hold much hope that the FN V2's will be any better either.  If I do go down this route, should I buy four fans that are all the same make and model?

I think that covers it, so if anyone has any advice please, that would be awesome! Cheers

You can run 3 fans from single mobo header. Powered hub is one option or just getting physical controller like Sentry or Mesh. Or is it Sentry Mesh. You get the point.

There are lot more lna equivalents. Usually they are called voltage regulators which might have been your issue when searching for one. As for Noctua ones, as long as you have one per fan (not one per splitter) and don't try to use PWM on 3pin, they will work.

But overall I would suggest getting hardware controller if case doesn't have one.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

or you can just put the fans on the fan headers, with splitters and set them in the bios to run at a constant 50%

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Cheers for the input!

So if I run three fans to one header, does it matter if the fans are different specifications? 

Mmm, I'd rather not have a dedicated fan controller and would rather rely on cables as it's just so much cheaper, and I don't need to be able to vary them, just set and forget.

I'll search for voltage regulators and see if I have better luck.

5 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

or you can just put the fans on the fan headers, with splitters and set them in the bios to run at a constant 50%

That would be easier, but the other poster above says three fans to a header, so where does the fourth fan connect to?

1 minute ago, thedons1983 said:

That would be easier, but the other poster above says three fans to a header, so where does the fourth fan connect to?

well, that's a small problem than. i'd say, get rid of one fan. i have the same case, got the nzxt fans both as intake and put a 140mm as exhaust on top to help my cpu cooler.

my temps are max 80 degrees celcius, with 1.305V @5Ghz and a 1070 oc'ed fully with temps max 74. so you dont need to have max fans in your case.

otherwise you'd have to get a fan controller i guess

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Id prefer four, but that is an option I guess.  The two NZXT fans IMO won't be any good as intakes though as they aren't pressure optimised AFAIK, and the front is so restrictive, so that isn't going to work for me.  Also I'm not going for max fans, just a balanced set up.  Eventually dual 140s will go in the front, 120 in the rear, and either a 120/ 140 in the top.  Overall positive airflow, with all fans operating as quietly as possible. Cheers

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You can run 3 fans from single mobo header. Powered hub is one option or just getting physical controller like Sentry or Mesh. Or is it Sentry Mesh. You get the point.

There are lot more lna equivalents. Usually they are called voltage regulators which might have been your issue when searching for one. As for Noctua ones, as long as you have one per fan (not one per splitter) and don't try to use PWM on 3pin, they will work.

But overall I would suggest getting hardware controller if case doesn't have one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-Grid-Fan-White-LED/dp/B00D2ZK2VW/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1502458625&sr=1-1&keywords=NZXT+10+channel+hub#Ask

Do you reckon something like this would fit the bill?  It's a blooming bargain!

3 minutes ago, thedons1983 said:

It should.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It should.

I'm doing some more research right now, but it seems promising, cheers

2 hours ago, thedons1983 said:

The two NZXT fans IMO won't be any good as intakes though as they aren't pressure optimised AFAIK.

i dont have any problems with them and when i stick my hand into it, it feels pretty cold, so it moves enough air for me. but when you don't like the idea, than that's fair enough

As an update, I've decided to keep the two pre-installed FN V2's as exhausts, and will be connecting them directly to the PSU via a molex to 3x 3pin 7V connector.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-alchemy-molex-to-3pin-x3-fan-adaptor-7v-20cm-red-cm-106-bx.html

This allows both fans to be run in tandem at a set voltage of 7V, straight from the PSU.  Hopefully the FN V2's are quiet enough at this level, but if not the same cable comes in a 5V version as well.

I've also bought two BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm DC fans to act as intakes in the front.  They will connect to the one remaining available header on my MB, via a splitter cable, and I will then control them in tandem using Speedfan and DC voltage control.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/rhinocables-Quality-splitter-Computer-extension/dp/B01FWBQM1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502566170&sr=8-1&keywords=rhinocables+High+Quality+30cm+Braided+Fan+splitter+3+pin

If all goes to plan, this should be give me exactly what I wanted to achieve, and the only concern for me now is whether the included fans are any good or not, and also whether the Pure Wings 2 are any good or not either!  I'd have preferred Silent Wings 3, or some other more premium fan, but considering I got both Pure Wings fans for the same price of a single Silent Wings 3 fan, hopefully they'll be good value at least.  If not, they can always be returned!

As an aside, the Corsair SP120s are very definitely being returned.  I'm well without the return period, but the vendor (Very.co.uk) is willing to accept a return and refund anyway, which is awesome!  Honestly the SP120s are just plain awful.  They are noisy and whiny and although performance wise they work just fine, they offend my ears a lot!

Thanks to all posters for giving me advice, I know I didn't follow much of it, but the back and forth helped focus my mind on what I wanted to achieve, and hopefully I've finally done so.  We shall see!  Cheers