Fly went inside my PSU ??

Lyetnel

Yes. You saw the title right. 

While i was shutting my computer last night i heard a buzzing noise. I knew it was a fly but i thought it got stuck in the corners. But nope..

This psychopath went inside the psu and tried to escape like crazy hitting the fan.

I am not sure about opening psu. It seems dangerous to me and i dont want to fry my other pc parts. And the thing is, i dont even hear it anymore. Not sure if it got stuck and died down there or escaped which is a possibility. 

Need every opinion i can get guys. Because i've never heard or live something through this. Thanks.

You're fine. Don't worry about it. Just don't open the PSU.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, sazrocks said:

You're fine. Don't worry about it. Just don't open the PSU.

So even if its dead, isnt there a risk of short circuit ? 

Yeah you should be fine, as said above don't bother going in the PSU it's pretty dangerous

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

It could cause malfunction or damage to the PSU I would think, since it could potentially short certain components, or corrode them with acid (idk how flys work, they have acid in them don't they?)

That said, yeah, do not take it apart unless you know what you are doing, you could die.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, jools said:

take psu apart, just don't have power on and wait 30mins for caps to discharge OR send in the spiders

Even then there's no guarantee they will have fully discharged, and assuming they would have could be deadly.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Open it and make sure you clean every part with your bare finger. /sarcasm

On a serious note: You could remove it from your pc and shake it abit see if you hear/see anything.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

I once found a fly in my macbook.......Its unlikely to do any harm, but to prevent it from happening again you could put a dust filter over the vent and intake....

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

1 minute ago, Lyetnel said:

Even if there is a %0.01 chance of risk opening the PSU i am not doing it guys sorry. I am fine it being there unless it corrodes the components inside it

reminds me of the time i saw a spider shoot out my exhaust fan. little tough dude bounced off the wall and ran away.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, fixitnow said:

I once found a fly in my macbook.......Its unlikely to do any harm, but to prevent it from happening again you could put a dust filter over the vent and intake....

Well i use really old Lancool case. I had to remove the side panel to fit PSU and its been like that for years. I will try to find a one over PSU

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

can of compressed air?

Read it somewhere and people had troubles shooting air into the psu directly. And even if i do it will probably get stuck in the corners.

2 minutes ago, Lyetnel said:

Read it somewhere and people had troubles shooting air into the psu directly. And even if i do it will probably get stuck in the corners.

A powerful vacuum cleaner, lol.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

3 minutes ago, Lyetnel said:

You don't wanna be all up in the PSU or you'd be blasting it with liquid, I'd try with a decent distance and see if anything blows out. That said, I've had worst in PSUs so one fly isn't that bad all things considered.

Well if we can get anything from this post it's that the fly is dead.

Don't open the power supply though, you could end up with the fly.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Well if we can get anything from this post it's that the fly is dead.

Don't open the power supply though, you could end up with the fly.

Well i don't care that the fly being there. What if it corrodes the components and fry the whole computer. Thats what i am scared of. 

And there is still a chance that this guy escaped. It was hitting all the corners of the PSU yesterday and today there isnt a single buzzing.

Just now, Lyetnel said:

Well i don't care that the fly being there. What if it corrodes the components and fry the whole computer. Thats what i am scared of. 

And there is still a chance that this guy escaped.

Then buy a new PSU, not much you can do about it.

Do not take it apart.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

You could shake it around and see if you hear anything inside it.

✨PC Specs✨

3 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Thats what i will do for now. Will let you guys know.

unplug the psu take out of case and shake see if the fly fell   from the holes of the psu you dont need to take apart if that dont work  in the worst case scenario the fly will short circuit your psu.

but dont hit the psu you can break someting inside

12 minutes ago, Lyetnel said:

What if it corrodes the components and fry the whole computer.

Oh man, I had the best time this morning reading this post. And some replies are just...let's say "out of this world". I ain't no electrician but I got my logics with me and goes like this: a simple fly won't corrode your PSU. It's like putting a syringe drop of water on a tank and wait for it to corrode and get it's turret stuck. Also considering the temps inside the PSU (over 25-30 for sure) my best bet would be that the fly would dry out, so no risk here.

41 minutes ago, jools said:

OR send in the spiders

Mate, your answer it's just awesome. The best reply to a question I ever read on the forum. You just made my day. Thank you.

20 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I would guess there are more chances to damage the PSU this way.

Bottom line: Doesn't worth to take out the PSU and disassembly it. Unless you got a lot a spare time and really bored or you just want do some PC maintenance.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz