GPU Shortage Firsthand Experience

Today, I went to Best Buy to buy a Founders Edition 1080 that I will be water cooling. I knew that there was a GPU shortage due to cryptocurrency mining but I thought stock in stores was rising. I walked to the GPU aisle and was greeted by bare shelves. The boxes to the bottom right were PSUs and a RX 580. The box to the left was a 1080 box used as a placeholder. I asked a person who worked there if there was any stock in the back. He went off to check. He came back and informed me that there was nothing. According to him, there hasn't been a shipment for a month or two. However, today wasn't that bad as I was able to order one online and have it delivered to my house. 

So, I guess, today was just a real eye opener.

20170810_162706[1642].jpg

Ehhhhh its Best Buy. I would've been more surprised to see it in stock even without any rumored shortage.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Just now, Daveeede said:

Ehhhhh its Best Buy. I would've been more surprised to see it in stock even without any rumored shortage.

Yeah. Shopping at Best Buy was my first mistake.

2 minutes ago, Cgomolak said:

Yeah. Shopping at Best Buy was my first mistake.

At least you didn't go to Staples, where they're selling 6 year old graphics cards--mid-range at the time of their creation--for ~$100.

Just now, Navbryce said:

At least you didn't go to Staples, where they're selling 6 year old graphics cards--mid-range at the time of their creation--for ~$100.

Lol. I didn't even know they sold GPUs. Apparently for good reason.

Remember the pc is dead. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/