My hotspot and wireless bridging to router...

Jerochy

Hey guys,

So basically I'm stuck in a pretty stupid situation for a little while that will only leave me with a hotspot for my internet. It is a decent hotspot with unlimited data, no throttling, and speeds in the 80mbps down, 10mbps up. I noticed that it did have slight issues with ping in gaming if someone else started using a lot of bandwidth though. I figured I could get a cheap router and bridge wirelessly to it to increase range of the signal, QoS my ass to the top, have a wired connection as the ping would increase the farther away I was from the hotspot, and help with the network management as I feel a router would do a better job with that than just a hotspot.

I set up a wireless bridge on my pc and I have a wired connection no prob. I'm not that good when it comes to networking, so I was a bit surprised when I saw that the bridge was just connecting the hotspot and my PC through the router. I kinda wanted to have the signal of the hotspot JUST going to the router, and then the router broadcasting the signal throughout the house. Is there anyway to do this? 

I have a at&t united explore ac 815s as my hotspot and I was able to pick up a netgear n600 dual band wndr3400 for 3 dollars at goodwill yesterday. The hotspot can USB tether and the router does have a USB 3.0 port on the back and I'm wondering if that might help.

Any insight at all would be appreciated. Thank you!

5 hours ago, Jerochy said:

Hey guys,

So basically I'm stuck in a pretty stupid situation for a little while that will only leave me with a hotspot for my internet. It is a decent hotspot with unlimited data, no throttling, and speeds in the 80mbps down, 10mbps up. I noticed that it did have slight issues with ping in gaming if someone else started using a lot of bandwidth though. I figured I could get a cheap router and bridge wirelessly to it to increase range of the signal, QoS my ass to the top, have a wired connection as the ping would increase the farther away I was from the hotspot, and help with the network management as I feel a router would do a better job with that than just a hotspot.

I set up a wireless bridge on my pc and I have a wired connection no prob. I'm not that good when it comes to networking, so I was a bit surprised when I saw that the bridge was just connecting the hotspot and my PC through the router. I kinda wanted to have the signal of the hotspot JUST going to the router, and then the router broadcasting the signal throughout the house. Is there anyway to do this? 

I have a at&t united explore ac 815s as my hotspot and I was able to pick up a netgear n600 dual band wndr3400 for 3 dollars at goodwill yesterday. The hotspot can USB tether and the router does have a USB 3.0 port on the back and I'm wondering if that might help.

Any insight at all would be appreciated. Thank you!

What you want is called a repeater. They tend to such balls. Any thing connected to the repeater will have its speeds cut in half. What you might consider is a router that allows you to connect your hotspot via USB. This way you dont use the hotspot for WiFi and only cellular data. Not sure what AT&T will allow, but their are routers that have SIM card slots as well. So you could throw the SIM card in and just use the router as an all in one device. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.