Questions about NZXT H440 fans

xagonyx

Hello community, just a quick couple of questions:

I want to improve the temps of my H440 by changing the default fans, planning on getting 1xCorsair AF140 (Back/Exhaust) 3xCorsair SP120 (Front/Intake) and 3xCorsair SP120, two of them will be used on H110i V2 Radiator (Top/Exhaust), so, my questions are:

1. Are SP fans better on this particular case? I've read that on a couple of forums.
2. At this moment, the first slot on top of the case is empty, It would be a good idea if I go 3x120mm on top? Or it would create a "battle" between the first fan on top and the top fan on front? Currently I'm using the "card trick" on that slot (saw that on Reddit, supposedly it helps with airflow, not sure about it tho) Check the image link here HisZ4dD.jpg

Thanks for your answers!

1. Yes static pressure fans are better in front of a radiator or a thick fan filter.

2. There will not really be a 'battle' as you say (unless you have no intake at all). The reason why the card trick works is because it keeps the pressure in the case slightly positive, which helps with dust management and forces more air trough the rad. But, this is only valid if you have a neutral/positive pressure in your case to begin with, i.e.: equal or more intake fans than exhaust fans.

I wouldn't go with those corsair fans if I were you.  I have two SP120 Quiet Edition fans and they're pretty loud and unpleasant sounding to be honest.  There are far better options available for the money.  A decent Noctua or Bequiet fan is only £5 more per fan, than two SP120s are in a dual pack, at least here in the UK.  And the Bequiets look decent too IMO.

If you like Corsair though, I'd recommend checking out the ML120/ ML140 Pro's, and the slightly cheaper non pro version.  They are supposed to be miles ahead of the SP120s and look much better too.  There are LED versions when it comes to the PRO versions, but no RGB.  If LEDs aren't your thing then the ML120/ 140 non Pro versions might be better and are actually cheaper in a dual pack than the SP120s are.  The non Pro MLs don't have rubber vibration mounts and are non LED, but seem pretty good value all in all.  Tempted myself actually.  Oh and all of the ML series fans are static pressure optimised, so are perfect for using with a radiator.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 5:16 AM, thedons1983 said:

If you like Corsair though, I'd recommend checking out the ML120/ ML140 Pro's, and the slightly cheaper non pro version.  They are supposed to be miles ahead of the SP120s and look much better too.  There are LED versions when it comes to the PRO versions, but no RGB.  If LEDs aren't your thing then the ML120/ 140 non Pro versions might be better and are actually cheaper in a dual pack than the SP120s are.  The non Pro MLs don't have rubber vibration mounts and are non LED, but seem pretty good value all in all.  Tempted myself actually.  Oh and all of the ML series fans are static pressure optimised, so are perfect for using with a radiator.

ML's are good if performance is prioritized over acoustics. There are plenty of quieter options available if that's the goal.

@xagonyx Do you have the original H440 or the V2? The original has a very restrictive front and static pressure optimized fans would fare better.

The top of the H440 isn't well ventilated and fans placed at the top wouldn't make much of a difference.

What are your specs and temps? Corsair's AF and SP fans perform alright but there are usually cheaper alternatives that do a similar job. Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.