1080 ti founder's or one of the 1080 OC editions

kerradeph

I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card. I'm looking around the $1000 CAD range, in this range is the 1080 ti founders edition cards and the higher end 1080 OC edition cards like the Twin Frozr IV. 

Is there any decent comparison between these for real world use rather than straight numbers?

I'm thinking the 1080 ti would be nice since it has more vram which is handy since I'm moving towards a 4k setup and I would like to build a custom watercooling loop so the founder's edition would be easier to find a waterblock for. However because of the blower fan it will be a little louder as well as it won't be as fast as it could be. 

The 1080 OC edition would be closer to the founder's 1080 ti, it would be quieter because of the larger fans. However it would have lower vram which might become an issue as I try to get higher resolutions from it. 

Right now I'm running a 4k monitor for my main screen for gaming as well as I would be running two 1080P screens off of it as well and I would like to replace both of those with 4k eventually. I'm currently running a 770 and a 750ti with the 770 running the main monitor with the 750 running the two 1080p ones. However I'm running into thermal issues with the 750 suffocating the 770 so I would like to move to a single card.

Think about it this way, a really high OC on a 1080 will get 5% or so max increase performance.  A stock 1080 ti beats a stock 1080 by 30% or so meaning it will still be about 25% better than a really high OC 1080.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card. I'm looking around the $1000 CAD range, in this range is the 1080 ti founders edition cards and the higher end 1080 OC edition cards like the Twin Frozr IV. 

Is there any decent comparison between these for real world use rather than straight numbers?

I'm thinking the 1080 ti would be nice since it has more vram which is handy since I'm moving towards a 4k setup and I would like to build a custom watercooling loop so the founder's edition would be easier to find a waterblock for. However because of the blower fan it will be a little louder as well as it won't be as fast as it could be. 

The 1080 OC edition would be closer to the founder's 1080 ti, it would be quieter because of the larger fans. However it would have lower vram which might become an issue as I try to get higher resolutions from it. 

Right now I'm running a 4k monitor for my main screen for gaming as well as I would be running two 1080P screens off of it as well and I would like to replace both of those with 4k eventually. I'm currently running a 770 and a 750ti with the 770 running the main monitor with the 750 running the two 1080p ones. However I'm running into thermal issues with the 750 suffocating the 770 so I would like to move to a single card.

if you're in a full or mid tower go non-reference for better thermals and the better overclock-ability (should get about 2ghz out of it) could always keep the 750 for PhysX but the card is powerful enough to handle it tbh

Yeah, trying to use the 750 for Physx would neuter the 1080. And the 770 is showing signs of memory failure that I'm guessing is because of thermal issues from being suffocated. 

3 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Ummn,the 1080 for sure can handle 4K,not sure how much,but the 1080ti Founders just straight up isnt worth it,might sound like a good card for cheap,but the founders design is absolute b*l*s*i* since one fan to cool the entire thing,and that also a small fan which will make it suffocate.the 1080 OC should be a nice card when oc'ed even more,perhaps equal to a 1080TI? probably no but good enough for 4K,but for running 3 4K displays It just straight up isn't worth it the 1080 Probably.Really depends on you.Would you like a faster card that might suffocate or do you want a slower,but still great card with good cooling which might not be able to drive 3 4K displays easily and might not be the best.What would you pick?

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

1080ti easily beats even a heavily OC'd 1080.

What kinda case do you have? If its an ITX/small form factor a founders edition card would be better, if you have a mid/full tower case with decent airflow i'd recommend against a founders edition.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I doubt VRAM is going to come into the equation at all other than very select use cases. At 5120x2880 I couldn't get most games to use more that about 7GB, at that resolution in demanding games you'll run out of GPU power far sooner than you'll fill up the 8GB buffer of a 1080 anyway, so it's kind of pointless to worry about.

Anyway an OC'd 1080, aftermarket or not, will never match a 1080Ti. Unless noise levels are super important to you just get the 1080Ti, it's great for 4K.

3 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

the 1080 OC should be a nice card when oc'ed even more,perhaps equal to a 1080TI?

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Think about it this way, a really high OC on a 1080 will get 5% or so max increase performance.  A stock 1080 ti beats a stock 1080 by 30% or so meaning it will still be about 25% better than a really high OC 1080.

See, this is why I was asking if there were good benchmarks comparing the two since I would like to know the performance. 

Also, I know that performance wise the 1080 will do fine with 4k. but on one 4k monitor low textures is maxing out the 2GB on my 770. If I wanted to run reasonably high textures I could see 4-6GB being used which would make the 8GB insufficient when I get around to replacing my two 1080P monitors. 

8 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Ti its in a completely different league to a 1080... Its basically a Titan X Pascal but rebranded (not to be confused with the Titan Xp - fuck Nvidia)

This is pretty much why I'm asking. At the $1000 range is the 1080 OC editions and the lower end 1080 Ti which is mostly Founders editions. I was considering the founders for potentially being able to water cool it without an annoying search for a compatible waterblock later on. 

Just now, kerradeph said:

I was considering the founders for potentially being able to water cool it without an annoying search for a compatible waterblock later on. 

That is exactly why I bought my 1080Ti founders. The power delivery on it is a beast, if you put it on water it will be able to overclock like the much more expensive cards can and also run cooler because water <3

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

1080ti easily beats even a heavily OC'd 1080.

What kinda case do you have? If its an ITX/small form factor a founders edition card would be better, if you have a mid/full tower case with decent airflow i'd recommend against a founders edition.

Why would you stay away from the Founders in a larger case? I've got a significant amount of airflow in the case. I'm running in an R5. 

1 minute ago, kerradeph said:

Why would you stay away from the Founders in a larger case? I've got a significant amount of airflow in the case. I'm running in an R5. 

Blower coolers are only really good for mini itx/small cases where they can't get much airflow. In larger cases they still run hot even with alot of airflow due to only having the one fan sucking in air and blowing it out the back of the card.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I got the Asus strix OC one.

it just rock.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

25 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Ummn,the 1080 for sure can handle 4K,not sure how much,but the 1080ti Founders just straight up isnt worth it,might sound like a good card for cheap,but the founders design is absolute b*l*s*i* since one fan to cool the entire thing,and that also a small fan which will make it suffocate.the 1080 OC should be a nice card when oc'ed even more,perhaps equal to a 1080TI? probably no but good enough for 4K,but for running 3 4K displays It just straight up isn't worth it the 1080 Probably.Really depends on you.Would you like a faster card that might suffocate or do you want a slower,but still great card with good cooling which might not be able to drive 3 4K displays easily and might not be the best.What would you pick?

No 1080 can beat a stock 1080ti, plus he said he might be watercooling it later down the line.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

Just get the FE, the single fan isn't that bad when paired with the exellent engineering on the vapor chambers.  Besides, watercooling will push it even farther.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious