How do I get a Internship or something here.

LegendOfZirkle

Alright so I'm still in high school but I'm going to be graduating in less than two years so what I really want to know is if there is any way possible to get a job at Linus' warehouse because I really like building computers and you guys get to build pc's and get sent a whole lot of cool pc stuff. I have no clue where the building is but once I graduate this would be a dream job for me... and ya I know thats all this is a dream but its still worth a shot right?

4 minutes ago, LegendOfZirkle said:

Alright so I'm still in high school but I'm going to be graduating in less than two years so what I really want to know is if there is any way possible to get a job at Linus' warehouse because I really like building computers and you guys get to build pc's and get sent a whole lot of cool pc stuff. I have no clue where the building is but once I graduate this would be a dream job for me... and ya I know thats all this is a dream but its still worth a shot right?

First off:

There are literally thousands of kids just like you that watch the show that he could hire for a warehouse job. Why choose you over any of them? What sets you apart?

Next: Don't just randomly beg on the forums for a job. Linus is probably not even gonna see this thread (It's possible, as LMG employees do lurk and occasionally post, but highly unlikely that they'll see this thread in particular).

If they post a job ad, apply for it. Simple as that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

There are literally thousands of kids just like you that watch the show that he could hire for a warehouse job. Why choose you over any of them? What sets you apart?

Also, and this is super important, unpaid internships are illegal in British Columbia unless they met a very narrow and specific criteria under the BC's ESA.

1) internships that provide “hands-on” training as part of a formal educational program (called a “practicum” in the Act);

2) internships that provide training for certain professions (e.g. architecture, law, chiropractory, engineering, real estate);

And for more specific clarifications from the Mistry of Labor

“An “internship” is on-the-job training offered by an employer to provide a person with practical experience. Often internships are offered to persons who have completed a diploma or degree program and are seeking employment. Completing an internship does not itself result in an academic certificate or diploma. If the duties performed by interns fall within the definition of  “work” contained in the Act, the intern falls within the definition of “employee”, and the agency using the services of an intern falls within the definition of “employer”, internships will be considered “work” for the purposes of the Act.”

...Yeah... When you start organizing your workplace for unionization, you start learning a lot about labor law. >_>;;;

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

First off:

Next: Don't just randomly beg on the forums for a job. Linus is probably not even gonna see this thread (It's possible, as LMG employees do lurk and occasionally post, but highly unlikely that they'll see this thread in particular).

Like I said it was literally an impossible dream job. Although I am taking classes at a trade school for computer repair and networking for my final two years in highschool

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Also, and this is super important, unpaid internships are illegal in British Columbia unless they met a very narrow and specific criteria under the BC's ESA.

And for more specific clarifications from the Mistry of Labor

...Yeah... When you start organizing your workplace for unionization, you start learning a lot about labor law. >_>;;;

I kinda thought internships were just like training during colledge that could lead to a job depending on how you do thats actually kind of helpful... since im still in highschool i have absolutely no idea how jobs work

Not to be "that guy", but for more conventional job experience, I'm sure you can find something in your area! Many local colleges and universities offer internships to high school students. If your lucky, you might even live near a research center. 

Also if you're into that sort of thing, some doctor's offices and hospitals also offer internships.

Just now, LegendOfZirkle said:

I kinda thought internships were just like training during colledge that could lead to a job depending on how you do thats actually kind of helpful... since im still in highschool i have absolutely no idea how jobs work

An internship can have a pretty wide definition where you live.  As an example, here in Ontario where unpaid internships are legal, it's a frequently abused system by a lot of employers to get free labor out of individuals.  Instead of learning, the 'interns' are doing menial tasks where they learn nothing such as office errands or other work without being paid but it'll be 'Good experience' they say.  This is illegal but it's not uncommon.  Internships have to provide the individual with some kind of TRAINING.  It has to be giving them new skills relevant to their education stream.

Just now, Navbryce said:

Not to be "that guy", but for more conventional job experience, I'm sure you can find something in your area! Many local colleges and universities offer internships to high school students. If your lucky, you might even live near a research center. 

Also if you're into that sort of thing, some doctor's offices and hospitals also offer internships.

Ya thanks for the advice it would probably be more wise to do that theres just not much around me

And also what I really meant was if there would be job availability for me in the future when I'm in college

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

First off:

You think they would need any programmers over there? 

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

24 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

First off:

And well I also didnt want to seem like I was begging for a job I was more asking for advice

1 minute ago, This kid builds pc said:

You think they would need any programmers over there? 

Not at all. But you could check for a job posting of course.

Though Float Plane Media might (That's the subsidiary that is developing Float Plane Club). They were hiring before, it was all over LTT videos and the WAN Show for a while.

I assume you've missed the application deadline though. But you could check.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, LegendOfZirkle said:

And well I also didnt want to seem like I was begging for a job I was more asking for advice

My advice would be to look for a real job.

1. Don't wait until after you graduate High School (or god forbid, College) to get a job. Get one now while still in school. Just get a shitty part time job (Well get a good one if you can, but generally all you can get is shit jobs that young). Trust me, having a job now will significantly help you getting one later - even if the one now has nothing to do with your career.

2. Don't hold out for some impossibly unlikely job. If LMG ends up hiring while you're looking for a job? Cool! Apply, if you meet the requirements. Otherwise, focus on realistic goals that are attainable.

3. While in College, take advantage of any Co-Op or Intern placement programs. They'll often help you find a placement, and it'll help your resume.

4. While in College, get a part time job. Even if you only work once a week, etc.

Don't be that guy who graduates College or University but has never had a job before. That guy ends up living in his parents basement.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

My advice would be to look for a real job.

1. Don't wait until after you graduate High School (or god forbid, College) to get a job. Get one now while still in school. Just get a shitty part time job (Well get a good one if you can, but generally all you can get is shit jobs that young). Trust me, having a job now will significantly help you getting one later - even if the one now has nothing to do with your career.

2. Don't hold out for some impossibly unlikely job. If LMG ends up hiring while you're looking for a job? Cool! Apply, if you meet the requirements. Otherwise, focus on realistic goals that are attainable.

3. While in College, take advantage of any Co-Op or Intern placement programs. They'll often help you find a placement, and it'll help your resume.

4. While in College, get a part time job. Even if you only work once a week, etc.

Don't be that guy who graduates College or University but has never had a job before. That guy ends up living in his parents basement.

Thanks having two years left of being a legal child is terrifying 

well, first be out of highschool. then get 2-3 years experience in a related field of study.

then refer to http://www.linusmediagroup.com/jobs/

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

With all due respect, and not to sound like Grandpa, but I've been working since I was ten. I see no reason you can't go get a paying job right now. I recommend food service.

Make some bank, dude.

Totally agree that getting some job, whichever one you can find, will look good on your resume. Just being able to prove that you know how to handle a job (get there on time, take orders, do your job etc) is worth a lot in the eyes of an employer.

But don't throw your childhood away either. The older you get the more responsibilities you will have, and the less time for other stuff.

When I was in high school one of my friends started working the weekends in a store. He thought it was cool but what he didn't realize was that he spent less and less time with his friends. Not to be rude to the guy or anything but in the end he seemed fairly miserable. He made money to upgrade his PC all the time, but was too busy working to actually enjoy it. last time I saw him he was looking for new jobs but because he never went to college his only options are jobs which doesn't require any special knowledge, and those are not really any better than his job at the store.

I think it's a fine line you need to walk.

Don't focus too much on getting a job when you're young, because you will miss an important part of your life if you do. But if you want to get a head start then getting a simple job which doesn't take up too much of your time is a good idea.

Getting internship at LMG seems like a bad idea though. Not only because they are probably flooded with requests for it already, but also because I don't think you would get that much experience from it. A job which requires talking to customers, with strict times is a lot more valuable both for experience and on your CV.

15 hours ago, LegendOfZirkle said:

And also what I really meant was if there would be job availability for me in the future when I'm in college

There might be, there might not be. You need to make that choice, whether to go for something which has higher probability of having open positions, or going for something you really like doing for the rest of your life (well, almost). Don't loose hope on getting your dream job. But also don't go forward assuming that when you are ready for it, there will be something.

Like with LMG. Last few new people they've hired are writers, editors and coders. I don't know if they've actually hired anyone just for building stuff. It might be that one guy's part-job (is it Jake or Tyler, not sure). But its only one guy. Others do mainly other things like write or benchmark or something like that.

You might get lucky. But it will be overall better to get a taste of working before going for place which requires really high stress resistance, flexibility and maturity. If you've watched the latest "behind the scenes" style video sponsored by Lenovo, you know that because of nature of business, they need every worker to be over 18 for legal reasons. You would most likely be signing non-disclosure agreement for everything going on behind the doors. I have worked for places where its unwritten rule. But you can't legally sign one unless your guardian is present. Which makes things way too complicated to be worth it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv