DIY Intel Optane w/ Samsung 960 Pro?

Would it be possible to use one Samsung 960 Pro to cache multiple drives? With the 512gb model you could cache up to 8 hard drives drives with roughly 64gb each, or 6-7 if the true capacity is lower like it is with typical even capacity drives (500/750/1tb/etc...). I'm guessing there would be some kind of performance decrease if you were to have each hard drive actively being cached at the same time, pushing the read/write transfer speeds of the 960 Pro to the limit. Latency could be an issue too. This review here from storagereview.com on the 2tb version of the 960 Pro reports a write latency of around 25.5 microseconds compared to the Intel Optane 32gb model's 16 microsecond write latency which I found on Newegg. If it can be done at all and have comparable performance it could be a really cost effective way to cache multiple drives. To cache the same 8 drives you would need 8 Intel Optane modules and therefore 8 m.2 slots (good luck finding that lol) or 8 pcie ports that can do 4x minimum each. Probably not a practical setup but I think it would be interesting to see if it was possible.

Why not just use the SSD as an SSD, and put the stuff you never use on the HDD? And I don't think it'd work, doesn't Optane require and Intel CPU and software, along with the actual Optane drive?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Why not just use the SSD as an SSD, and put the stuff you never use on the HDD? And I don't think it'd work, doesn't Optane require and Intel CPU and software, along with the actual Optane drive?

The idea was to use a single high capacity high performance ssd as a cache for multiple drives, rather than have one Optane module per drive. It's not necessarily practical, I was just curious if it would work well enough to be an alternative to Intel Optane. If it did work, it would have the added bonus of not being bound to a specific platform like Optane.

Also, some LSI RAID controllers have this functionality built in (license required I believe). The Facebook method is mostly good for read performance in my experience (I've only used Flashcache for one day on a single server 5+ years ago).

-KuJoe

18 minutes ago, acsemler said:

The idea was to use a single high capacity high performance ssd as a cache for multiple drives, rather than have one Optane module per drive. It's not necessarily practical, I was just curious if it would work well enough to be an alternative to Intel Optane. If it did work, it would have the added bonus of not being bound to a specific platform like Optane.

Yeah, but what do you need the cache for? Why not just run your apps and stuff of the SSD, using the HDDs for mass storage.

That's what I was trying to say. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

20 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

This is what Facebook did many many years ago, they even open sourced the software: https://github.com/facebookarchive/flashcache

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah, but what do you need the cache for? Why not just run your apps and stuff of the SSD, using the HDDs for mass storage.

That's what I was trying to say. 

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info.