PC booting from a laptop

rony59turbo

I have a Lenovo Yoga 710 which is fine for school work and light gaming but i would like to do some more heavy gaming. This laptop doesn't have thunderbolt so a Razer core is out of the question. But im wondering if i could buy a PC with a dedicated GPU and when i come home, boot the PC off of the laptop ssd which has all my games and such. I dont want to run the GPU on the laptop screen, just want to use the laptop as a boot device. 

1 minute ago, rony59turbo said:

I have a Lenovo Yoga 710 which is fine for school work and light gaming but i would like to do some more heavy gaming. This laptop doesn't have thunderbolt so a Razer core is out of the question. But im wondering if i could buy a PC with a dedicated GPU and when i come home, boot the PC off of the laptop ssd which has all my games and such. I dont want to run the GPU on the laptop screen, just want to use the laptop as a boot device. 

No, because the laptop's boot drive is configured for the laptop, which won't work so well when you plug it into the desktop.

Plus Windows will throw a (small) fit because it's on a different computer.

Windows won't like that as the license is tied to the motherboard of the PC.  Also there will be some driver issues since the laptop has different hardware than the PC.  Can you just transfer the games to the hard drive of the PC?

Well i would like to not have to bother with having different files and such on multiple computers. Its convinient having it all synced.

18 hours ago, rony59turbo said:

Well i would like to not have to bother with having different files and such on multiple computers. Its convinient having it all synced.

That is super easy to solve. With something like Resilio Sync for example. Just select folders you want to keep in sync. For games Steam, Origin and such sync savefiles anyway to cloud.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv