Thoughts and suggestions on my build before I start buying (more)

USA in $USD
The aim of this setup is to run several emulators at once, plex media servers 24/7 and some gaming.

Here is the PCPartPicker list of my stuff, it says what I have purchased and what I will be buying.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fv69D8

Please give me suggestions on what is left to buy.

I do have some specific questions about case fans. I'm looking at getting a fan controller and was wondering if I need to get fans that are 3pin or 4pin, does it matter when it's not for the CPU? Also, my plan is to make a positive pressure environment inside my case. That being said, my goal is to use all 8 case fan slots and have 5 intake and 3 exhaust (2 being on my Corsair AiO radiator on the top of the case), mainly for 2 reasons, to help keep dust out and to help force more air through my radiator for CPU cooling. Any who, my last question about what kind of fans that help create pressure and currently I have picked the CM Sickleflow green LED fans because I love green and they move a lot of air, are there any better fans out there I can use that will work better for the around the same price (less than $10 per fan)? I'm also not married to having green LEDs but if not green then no LEDs because it will mess up my case colors

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit

Ryzen will give you more cores, but I don't remember if it likes virtualization or not.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Ryzen will give you more cores, but I don't remember if it likes virtualization or not.

I have considered ryzen and it just doesn't suit my needs but thank you though

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit

Just now, Spart0n said:

I have considered ryzen and it just doesn't suit my needs but thank you though

Other than that, it's a great build. The 7700K is really the only high-end Intel CPU that makes sense at a reasonable price, and everything else is solid (except the Razer peripherals, but you already got those). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, xxMega11xx said:

Always get 4 pin it really helps with control

The sickleflow I have comes with 3 to 4 Pin Adapter included, is that just as good?

Tempus Fugit

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Other than that, it's a great build. The 7700K is really the only high-end Intel CPU that makes sense at a reasonable price, and everything else is solid (except the Razer peripherals, but you already got those). 

Yeah I am by no means a razer fanboy BUT the stuff I have bought from them has never let me down, so far on my 3rd razer mouse and 2nd keyboard, all of which are still working, I just had friends/family want a keyboard/mouse like mine so I give it to them and buy myself new ones and so far none have died. When they let me down I'll switch brands.

Tempus Fugit

Great build, however it seems like Coffee Lake is just around the corner and won't be compatible with Z270 so keep that in mind. However, IF Intel mess it up just like X299 then Kaby Lake would be a better choice. I would wait until it comes out before making any purchase decision just to see.

1 minute ago, light-v said:

Great build, however it seems like Coffee Lake is just around the corner and won't be compatible with Z270 so keep that in mind. However, IF Intel mess it up just like X299 then Kaby Lake would be a better choice. I would wait until it comes out before making any purchase decision just to see.

Yeah that is a good point but I've been ready to upgrade from my old i5 non-k for a good while. 

Tempus Fugit

5 minutes ago, Spart0n said:

Yeah that is a good point but I've been ready to upgrade from my old i5 non-k for a good while. 

I seriously consider you get a different AIO or even air cooler. The H100i v2 to what I have heard has a really bad pump that is DOA or dies in a few months. If you want to stay AIO maybe check out the X62 or if you want to go to air cooling the Deep Rock 3 Pro is a really good choice for overclocking.

"I'm not really that old, I'm just 18 + shipping" -Unknown

Please tell me why you aren't on dark theme already.

Herro my dark theme brothers.

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

Phone: iPhone 7 Plus that is patiently waiting to be jailbroken.

3 minutes ago, Spart0n said:

What games do you play? I can't think of many games where an i5 would be a major bottleneck unless you're talking Nehalem era. My friend's 2500K was running GTA V fine at stock speeds (his mobo was faulty and crashed under any form of o/c)

11 minutes ago, xDyl said:

I seriously consider you get a different AIO or even air cooler. The H100i v2 to what I have heard has a really bad pump that is DOA or dies in a few months. If you want to stay AIO maybe check out the X62 or if you want to go to air cooling the Deep Rock 3 Pro is a really good choice for overclocking.

I haven't read any negative reviews like that on newegg, amazon or pcPartPicker. Where are they coming from?
And what would be your suggested AIO for $100 or less, I just don't like the huge looking air coolers, I currently have a cryorig h7 in my old rig and it does an amazing job, but looks horrible in my case.

10 minutes ago, light-v said:

What games do you play? I can't think of many games where an i5 would be a major bottleneck unless you're talking Nehalem era. My friend's 2500K was running GTA V fine at stock speeds (his mobo was faulty and crashed under any form of o/c)

I play anything and everything from a super modded skyrim to Just Case 3, but my old hardware and really old sapphire GPU can't keep up anymore.

Edited by Spart0n
add info

Tempus Fugit

17 minutes ago, Spart0n said:

Apparently it comes out august 21st so I would wait. 

Just now, Spart0n said:

I haven't read any negative reviews like that on newegg, amazon or pcPartPicker. Where are they coming from?
And what would be your suggested AIO for $100 or less

I play anything and everything from a super modded skyrim to Just Case 3, but my old hardware and really old sapphire GPU can't keep up anymore.

They are all over newegg... let me fetch a couple of reviews and some good AIOs.

I'd say go for the DeepCool 240 EX ($99 USD on newegg) much better as of what I've heard.

IMG_1298.PNG

IMG_1299.PNG

IMG_1300.PNG

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

Just now, Spart0n said:

I see, but then I'd recommend upgrading the GPU first then see how it goes. If you find major bottlenecks, upgrade the rest. I'll probably won't see a noticeable difference between my i5 4590 and an i7 7700K if I was to pair it with a 1070 since it'll exceed 60fps at ultra 1080p and at 1440p the GPU start to be a bottleneck anyways  unless you're getting a 144Hz monitor which isn't on your list. I know upgrading the whole platform is tempting but quad i5s are still kinda relevant for a least an extra year or two

1 minute ago, light-v said:

I see, but then I'd recommend upgrading the GPU first then see how it goes. If you find major bottlenecks, upgrade the rest. I'll probably won't see a noticeable difference between my i5 4590 and an i7 7700K if I was to pair it with a 1070 since it'll exceed 60fps at ultra 1080p and at 1440p the GPU start to be a bottleneck anyways  unless you're getting a 144Hz monitor which isn't on your list. I know upgrading the whole platform is tempting but quad i5s are still kinda relevant for a least an extra year or two

If all I was doing was gaming, you'd be right, but as it stands now, my old rig can't do anything unless I close all emulators and shut down my media servers, then I can play games, surf the web, do other stuff. I need to do that all together and faster than it's doing it now.

Tempus Fugit

1 minute ago, Spart0n said:

If all I was doing was gaming, you'd be right, but as it stands now, my old rig can't do anything unless I close all emulators and shut down my media servers, then I can play games, surf the web, do other stuff. I need to do that all together and faster than it's doing it now.

If you are going to go 144Hz 1440p your best bet is 1080ti and Acer Predator/Asus ROG Swift. Personally I am going to do a build with the ROG Swift.

Spoiler

Well in this case you actually need more cores since you're a heavy multitasker whether it comes from Intel or AMD

1 minute ago, xDyl said:

If you are going to go 144Hz 1440p your best bet is 1080ti and Acer Predator/Asus ROG Swift. Personally I am going to do a build with the ROG Swift.

I would but that just isn't in the budget, I wish it was, but sadly not yet.

Tempus Fugit

I would but that just isn't in the budget, I wish it was, but sadly not yet.

So are you thinking about sticking with the 1070 or going with a 1080(ti) for the future? Just because you don't have the 1440p 144Hz monitors yet doesn't mean it won't work as a graphics card.

Spoiler

Just now, xDyl said:

So are you thinking about sticking with the 1070 or going with a 1080(ti) for the future? Just because you don't have the 1440p 144Hz monitors yet doesn't mean it won't work as a graphics card.

My goal is to get 4k @60Hz on a 1080ti but that just isn't in my budget yet. My end goal is to have a 4k TV in my bedroom and use it for gaming as well as TV.
Currently I'm using a HUGE L desk for my PC setup and the bedroom TV, so I'd love to use both together. As of now my current GPU only supports 2 monitors, so I can't use my current 720p TV BUT with the 1070 I could easily game on my monitors or TV or use them all the time, either way I'd be happy. Then down the road I can just buy a 4k tv and a 1080ti or better GPU and not worry about anything else.

Tempus Fugit

Just now, Spart0n said:

My goal is to get 4k @60Hz on a 1080ti but that just isn't in my budget yet. My end goal is to have a 4k TV in my bedroom and use it for gaming as well as TV.
Currently I'm using a HUGE L desk for my PC setup and the bedroom TV, so I'd love to use both together. As of now my current GPU only supports 2 monitors, so I can't use my current 720p TV BUT with the 1070 I could easily game on my monitors or TV or use them all the time, either way I'd be happy. Then down the road I can just buy a 4k tv and a 1080ti or better GPU and not worry about anything else.

That's the great thing about GPUs, usually don't need a new mobo to upgrade them. Check out this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - CAPTAIN 240 EX 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($128.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (Purchased For $105.00) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($136.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $109.00) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($112.49 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  (Purchased For $250.00) 
Case: DIYPC - Skyline-07-G ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $78.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.69 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master - SickleFlow 69.7 CFM  120mm Fan  (Purchased For $6.99) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master - SickleFlow 69.7 CFM  120mm Fan  ($5.29 @ SuperBiiz) 
Fan Controller: NZXT - Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller  ($29.88 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus - VX238H-W 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor  (Purchased For $125.00) 
Monitor: Asus - VX238H-W 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor  (Purchased For $125.00) 
Keyboard: Razer - BlackWidow Ultimate 2016 Wired Standard Keyboard  (Purchased For $68.00) 
Mouse: Razer - DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Headphones: Razer - KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA 7.1 Channel  Headset  (Purchased For $65.00) 
Speakers: Logitech - Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers  ($36.99 @ Best Buy) 
External Storage: Seagate - Backup Plus 5TB External Hard Drive  (Purchased For $95.00) 
External Storage: Seagate - Expansion 5TB External Hard Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Kingwin KW525-3U3CR Super Speed USB 3.0 Supports Up to 5 Gbps of Bandwidth Components Other  ($26.61 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2293.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-08 13:14 EDT-0400

Spoiler

1 hour ago, xDyl said:

where did you hear that? it's got 4 out of 5 stars on Newegg reviews and I've had one on my desktop for almost a year now (granted I don't use the machine very much) with no problems, I suspect many people just don't know how to set it up properly, it's important to give the pump full power from the fan header for the CPU by setting things correctly, if the pump is getting a PWM signal from the CPU fan header it is being exposed to constantly varying voltages instead of the full 12 volts it was designed for and that can cause it to fail. It also makes the pump noisier when the PWM voltages fluctuate in my experience (I figured out what was happening early on and corrected it)

Just now, Daniel644 said:

where did you hear that? it's got 4 out of 5 stars on Newegg reviews and I've had one on my desktop for almost a year now (granted I don't use the machine very much) with no problems, I suspect many people just don't know how to set it up properly, it's important to give the pump full power from the fan header for the CPU by setting things correctly, if the pump is getting a PWM signal from the CPU fan header it is being exposed to constantly varying voltages instead of the full 12 volts it was designed for and that can cause it to fail.

If you read the Newegg reviews and don't just look at the eggs then a majority of people rate 2 or 3 eggs because of good RMA but bad product (pump). Glad you know how to set it up right, then maybe OP will consider it. 

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

where did you hear that? it's got 4 out of 5 stars on Newegg reviews and I've had one on my desktop for almost a year now (granted I don't use the machine very much) with no problems, I suspect many people just don't know how to set it up properly, it's important to give the pump full power from the fan header for the CPU by setting things correctly, if the pump is getting a PWM signal from the CPU fan header it is being exposed to constantly varying voltages instead of the full 12 volts it was designed for and that can cause it to fail. It also makes the pump noisier when the PWM voltages fluctuate in my experience (I figured out what was happening early on and corrected it)

16 minutes ago, xDyl said:

If you read the Newegg reviews and don't just look at the eggs then a majority of people rate 2 or 3 eggs because of good RMA but bad product (pump). Glad you know how to set it up right, then maybe OP will consider it. 

I honestly believe that it isn't build quality, (I'm sure it's not awesome quality like EK, but it gets the job done) it's that it wasn't setup properly on those reviews. And there still isn't as big of a ratio on them as there are on the deep cool one that was suggested earlier (a full 1/4 out of 98 gave 1egg).
This is exactly why I take an entire day to build a rig and take my time and NEVER rush it. My current old rig took me and my dad 9 hours to put together, it was my first non-used PC that I was getting and my father wanted to make sure I knew how to build them. By that point in my life I probably could have but I did not want to do it alone, it's nice having someone who knows exactly what they're doing and them watching over your shoulder :)

This is why when it's all ordered I will take an entire day off work and have my dad come visit for a cook out and have him help me out.

Edited by Spart0n
add info

Tempus Fugit