Liquid metal thermal paste without delid

4790k with custom watercooling loop in my system, will it benefit from liquid metal thermal paste without deliding?

My old IC diamond is getting a bit worse since last i applied it was 2-3 years ago, so i wanted to get something that would help even more. I know the drawbacks of 

Liquid Metal thermal pastes. I dont care about the price of it, already have Thermal grizzly conductonaut 5g at home.

Is it necessary to delid or will i benefit also without deliding from the liquid metal thermal paste?

Loop:

swiftech pump mcp655

360mm+180mm rads with push-pull config (thats 8 fans total)

GPU is also in the loop (cant use liquid metal on GPU since gpu waterblock is aluminium)

EK-Supremacy EVO - Copper Acetal CPU block

200ml reservoir

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

Short answer: yes

Slightly longer answer: The difference would be small depending on what you're already using, less than a 5 degree difference if your existing paste was applied correctly.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Short answer: yes

Slightly longer answer: The difference would be small depending on what you're already using, less than a 5 degree difference if your existing paste was applied correctly.

i have a small doubt that i used a little more than ideal, but other than that it should be applied correctly. 

If i get 5 degrees difference its worth to me :) With delit it would be probably twice as much right?

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

Just now, bughtoo said:

i have a small doubt that i used a little more than ideal, but other than that it should be applied correctly. 

If i get 5 degrees difference its worth to me :) With delit it would be probably twice as much right?

It should, yes. For reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-8.html

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Against IC diamond its 3-4 degrees better on GPU, will see :) when its not good enough ill go for delid probably, the CPU has already 3 years, so in the WORST case scenario i would get new CPU, MOBO :) 

24 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

4790k with custom watercooling loop in my system, will it benefit from liquid metal thermal paste without deliding?

My old IC diamond is getting a bit worse since last i applied it was 2-3 years ago, so i wanted to get something that would help even more. I know the drawbacks of 

Liquid Metal thermal pastes. I dont care about the price of it, already have Thermal grizzly conductonaut 5g at home.

Is it necessary to delid or will i benefit also without deliding from the liquid metal thermal paste?

Might as well delid. Then you'll see the full effects of Liquid metal. 20C drop is possible maybe a bit more. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I delid my 7700k with the liquid ultra and had a 15c drop useing that and the grizzly on the ihs/aio didn't trust myself putting it on ihs invasebi did too much and shorted it out lol worked really well for me though

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

2 hours ago, Brett_Bst said:

I delid my 7700k with the liquid ultra and had a 15c drop useing that and the grizzly on the ihs/aio didn't trust myself putting it on ihs invasebi did too much and shorted it out lol worked really well for me though

Sorry, but from the part of the sentence Grizzly i didnt quite understand what you tried to say :D 

14 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Might as well delid. Then you'll see the full effects of Liquid metal. 20C drop is possible maybe a bit more. 

Just to be sure, time to buy Mobo, delid guard i guess :P 

9 hours ago, bughtoo said:

Just to be sure, time to buy Mobo, delid guard i guess :P 

delid guard is only needed if you plan to run direct die. Not really something to recommend since there's a risk of the die cracking. Since the mounting pressure is focused on the rather smaller Kaby Lake die. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

59 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

delid guard is only needed if you plan to run direct die. Not really something to recommend since there's a risk of the die cracking. Since the mounting pressure is focused on the rather smaller Kaby Lake die. 

Thats the reasing i want to buy delid guard and Thats what the delit guard is there for isnt it? :) To prevent the pressure from cracking ur die if u apply too much of it. And also since i have ek supremacy i already have bought the precision mounting(1 year ago) just in case. 

On 09/08/2017 at 6:16 AM, bughtoo said:

Sorry, but from the part of the sentence Grizzly i didnt quite understand what you tried to say :D 

I ment I used the liquid metal on the die/ihs then used the thermal grizzly on the ihs and cpu cooler

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

22 minutes ago, Brett_Bst said:

I ment I used the liquid metal on the die/ihs then used the thermal grizzly on the ihs and cpu cooler

oh right, so delid, new paste, relid, new paste, i think i might do that

Yh you can use the liquid metal on the cooler but you have to be super careful not to get any of the metal to spill over the edges or it will short out probley killing the cpu l, but the way I did it did wounders for the temps. Also make sure you use the proper delid tool so u don't brake the cpu 

23 hours ago, bughtoo said:

Thats the reasing i want to buy delid guard and Thats what the delit guard is there for isnt it? :) To prevent the pressure from cracking ur die if u apply too much of it. And also since i have ek supremacy i already have bought the precision mounting(1 year ago) just in case. 

Yeah the delid guard is supposed to help against that.

I don't think that you can use a delid guard and the precision mounting at the same time.

4 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Yeah the delid guard is supposed to help against that.

I don't think that you can use a delid guard and the precision mounting at the same time.

why not? if u think about it the delid guard isnt higher or anything else than the base that holds the cpu down, it directly replaces it :)

IMG_5288-300x200.jpg

this replacement can be done on almost all Mobos

54 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

why not? if u think about it the delid guard isnt higher or anything else than the base that holds the cpu down, it directly replaces it :)

IMG_5288-300x200.jpg

this replacement can be done on almost all Mobos

idk. I just never really looked at it since it doesn't really seem worth the extra 3C temp drop. 

It can be done on every mobo. Just need to remove the LGA mounting bracket and rely on cooler pressure. 

9 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

idk. I just never really looked at it since it doesn't really seem worth the extra 3C temp drop. 

It can be done on every mobo. Just need to remove the LGA mounting bracket and rely on cooler pressure. 

Mount on dye, with liquid metal thermal paste would yield more than a 3C delta i am sure. Firstly though i will try delid, replace thermal paste, relid, again liquid metal paste and normal assembly if that yields a big drop in temp i dont need to continue going directly on the die