Intel Petabyte SSD for server racks

Go to solution Solved by NinJake,

Ditching the "legacy" form factor of 2.5" and 3.5" SSDs, Intel has announced the "Ruler" form factor. Optimized for maximum storage capacity and cooling for the right environments (enterprise storage), this tech will have the option of using Intel's Optane tech or traditional 3D NAND.

What I find the most interesting from this article is that it will feature dual sockets... so that the SSD can be connected to 2 systems at once. There's many possibilities of what businesses can do or even enthusiast home users can do with a shared SSD. These also come with up to 7.68TB of storage on each drive!

Sauce: https://hothardware.com/news/intel-launches-new-ruler-ssd-form-factor-to-push-1tb-enterprise-storage

intelRuler.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Right, should have been in response to @NinJake ?

Never know until you try! If I have 2 pcs with sata interfaces there would be nothing stopping me from installing linux on the drive and then trying to power on both pcs.

13 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Never know until you try! If I have 2 pcs with sata interfaces there would be nothing stopping me from installing linux on the drive and then trying to power on both pcs.

Would definitely be interesting :D 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

Would definitely be interesting :D 

Dedicated gaming rigs for when friends visit? 1 HDD with rocket league, each player gets their own dedicated graphics card/cpu/monitor! Would be awesome and a lot less work than virtualizing everything.

Just now, NinJake said:

Dedicated gaming rigs for when friends visit? 1 HDD with rocket league, each player gets their own dedicated graphics card/cpu/monitor! Would be awesome and a lot less work than virtualizing everything.

Just don't save anything at the same time! Lol

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I'd love to see consumer hardware support this form-factor in the near future. Not because it makes sense, in fact it's like building a rackmount gaming PC except much, much harder to actually do and justify, but rather because I'd just love to see it.

Though honestly I have my doubts. It's highly optimized for servers, in fact its only advantages are for a high-density server environment. The drives aren't even that big, only 8TB.
(Good god I just said 8TB wasn't big...)

And this. Look at this. This thing's adorable. Now I just want to see someone stick it into a normal, ATX motherboard's PCIe slot.

intc_ruler_1.jpg

@MrMcMuffinJr@NinJake

It's 325.35mm long. About 12.8in.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Great! Now I can get one of this and have a legit answer to those "the object to your right" memes!

3c8.jpg

intc_ruler_0_575px.jpg

On 8/8/2017 at 9:07 AM, SaltanSupreme said:

That's freaking nuts! It makes me want to get a server rack at home to make a multi-petabyte storage server just for fun lol. I'd imagine they aren't cheap though.

No, they will probably start at a low and competitive price. They need to stand out among all the other OEMs making one petabyte SSDs.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD