XFX RX 480 gtr flashed

Rofty

Hi guys.

I flashed my XFX RX480 GTR (non BE) bios to XFX RX580 GTR-S custom bios as per this thread. My original clock went up from 1288 to 1400 core and memory 2000 to 2020 totally stable in everything i tested, Valley, unigine superposition, ME andromeda, BF1 and a couple of other games. No artifacts or crashes. The only deference i can see is a nice bump in performance in benchmarks and core temp jumped from 70c max (stock) to 77c (flashed).

My concerns is, will it negatively affect my vrm getting too hot? Also, I noticed the XFX RX580 GTR-S have two power connectors, 8+6 pin and my card only gave a 8 pin. Will this somehow pull to much power from the pcie slot not getting enough power from one 8 pin and kill my motherboard?

Can i leave it like this or should i just flash it back to stock bios? Thanks!

The 150W trough the 8 pin is per ATX spec, it can do muuuuuuuch more than that. Your VRM can operate safely at 120ºC if it wants to, but it has airflow and a heatsink so it won't get that hot at all.

Your only issue right now would be not getting drivers from AMD since their drivers have a bios signature check and you'd have to find your way around the drivers doing that. Google it, more people have done it before.

Ye ole' train

10 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The 150W trough the 8 pin is per ATX spec, it can do muuuuuuuch more than that. Your VRM can operate safely at 120ºC if it wants to, but it has airflow and a heatsink so it won't get that hot at all.

Your only issue right now would be not getting drivers from AMD since their drivers have a bios signature check and you'd have to find your way around the drivers doing that. Google it, more people have done it before.

Thanks for the input. I did not however have any problems installing the latest AMD relive drivers for RX 580 cards. I will do some further research into this.. 

40 minutes ago, Rofty said:

Hi guys.

I flashed my XFX RX480 GTR (non BE) bios to XFX RX580 GTR-S custom bios as per this thread. My original clock went up from 1288 to 1400 core and memory 2000 to 2020 totally stable in everything i tested, Valley, unigine superposition, ME andromeda, BF1 and a couple of other games. No artifacts or crashes. The only deference i can see is a nice bump in performance in benchmarks and core temp jumped from 70c max (stock) to 77c (flashed).

My concerns is, will it negatively affect my vrm getting too hot? Also, I noticed the XFX RX580 GTR-S have two power connectors, 8+6 pin and my card only gave a 8 pin. Will this somehow pull to much power from the pcie slot not getting enough power from one 8 pin and kill my motherboard?

Can i leave it like this or should i just flash it back to stock bios? Thanks!

8 pin + PCIE connector give you at least 225Watts of power. If you were ever to use more power, the power cables would simply run above spec with more than their rated Wattage, which can affect the PSUs or power cables lifetime

37 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

By the way how much did your performance in games increase?

Have not checked the numbers in games yet, but haven valley extreme went from 1250 to 1450 and superposition 1080p high settings 6200 to 6500 if i remember correctly. I did the tests last night.

25 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

8 pin + PCIE connector give you at least 225Watts of power. If you were ever to use more power, the power cables would simply run above spec with more than their rated Wattage, which can affect the PSUs or power cables lifetime

Thanks man. I think the rx 580'ts is rated @ 150w if i'm not mistaken.

Edited by Rofty
correction