ARM Arch Linux Eclipse

brandon1407
Go to solution Solved by Azgoth 2,

I'm a big fan of Geany as an editor.  It's a pretty light IDE, but it lacks some of the features that bigger programs like Visual Studio or JetBrains' stuff does (granted, they're all features I instantly turn off, so I love it).  I've run it on my original Raspberry Pi B+ without issue.  It's basically a fancy text editor--syntax highlighting, automatic indentation, code folding, project directory navigation--but it's designed to work with any language you can dream of and lets you specify shell commands to compile and run your program.  That last point is a bit of a quirk at first, but it's nice to be able to do pretty much all my programming in a single program, no matter the language, which is a bit more friendly than Vim/Emacs.  It should detect Java by default and have the right build/run commands configured out of the box, I'd imagine.

I've just installed Arch Linux ARM onto my Samsung series 3 Chromebook and have installed the XFCE4 DE with it. As I do plan on learning Java with this setup I planned on installing Eclipse, but I found that it isn't in the default Arch repo to download. Does anyone know how to install Eclipse SE on ARM Arch Linux? If not, does anyone know of a compatible, lightweight, java IDE to use besides Netbeans and IntelliJ (both are slow on my Chromebook).

Does intellij run slow on arch? IMO its the best java IDE.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

5 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

What I don't recommend is using vim or emacs to program in. I have spent considerable time in these programs due to working over ssh connections on limited environments and they're not something anyone should willfully choose to inflict upon themselves.

That I don't agree with. He is on Linux and Vim/Emacs are the most powerful editors you can get. Sure Vim is really hard to get into, but with some patience and a few plugins to suit your programming language will save a lot of time during your life. 

8 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

He's running an ARM processor. It's not completely unsurprising that JetBrains stuff is too heavy on his system.

---

You could try running Sublime Text 2 or BBEdit  or some other text editor and then compiling from the command line. I'd stay away from electron apps like Atom and Visual Studio Code. They're cool, but also electron apps, which come with significant performance overhead.

What I don't recommend is using vim or emacs to program in. I have spent considerable time in these programs due to working over ssh connections on limited environments and they're not something anyone should willfully choose to inflict upon themselves.

Thanks, I'll try Sublime Text, didn't know it was compatible with ARM architecture before. And I've tried Vim before, it is definitely a pain to have to use the keyboard all the time without a mouse.

I'm a big fan of Geany as an editor.  It's a pretty light IDE, but it lacks some of the features that bigger programs like Visual Studio or JetBrains' stuff does (granted, they're all features I instantly turn off, so I love it).  I've run it on my original Raspberry Pi B+ without issue.  It's basically a fancy text editor--syntax highlighting, automatic indentation, code folding, project directory navigation--but it's designed to work with any language you can dream of and lets you specify shell commands to compile and run your program.  That last point is a bit of a quirk at first, but it's nice to be able to do pretty much all my programming in a single program, no matter the language, which is a bit more friendly than Vim/Emacs.  It should detect Java by default and have the right build/run commands configured out of the box, I'd imagine.

1 hour ago, Erik Sieghart said:

It doesn't seem like Sublime Text actually supports ARM

Yeah, found that out on my own. Tried downloading from their website and executing the executable that came with it, also tried installing from AUR.

1 hour ago, Azgoth 2 said:

I'm a big fan of Geany as an editor.  It's a pretty light IDE, but it lacks some of the features that bigger programs like Visual Studio or JetBrains' stuff does

I'm aware of Geany, just didn't know that it even had support for Java. I'll give that a try until I can possibly get Sublime Text working.

7 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

That's right, Geany turned up as the best solution presently. Thanks @Azgoth 2 for suggesting it.

Yep, after a little research on how to compile and execute java sources from the terminal I was able to start using it for Java effortlessly. Though, it did take me a little while to figure out how the project system works in Geany.

18 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

The mouse exists as a dominant peripheral for a reason. You're crippling yourself by not using it and memorizing keyboard shortcuts that aren't standard for any other text program. These editors should never be used as a standard programming platform, and only exist as a vestigial of dark times before modern interfaces were introduced.

An excuse would be if the platform (restricted environments) requires it, at which point you can get out your cheatsheet and do most of the work you need to there, assuming it's easier to edit the file in the limited space and not simply copy over from your professional environment with a scp. In most cases your limited environments will not support vim and only run vi, not support your plugins, and be too limited to install it without a lot of trouble.

If you want to use vim or emacs or spacemacs or whatever that's your decision, but the industry isn't not dominated by it and will not expect you to use it. I have nothing against the command line -- I exclusively use git on the command line. I have everything against arcane and enigmatic user interfaces that only cater to users who have heavy experience in them to get it to do anything.

The mouse is inefficient though, you move around X times faster with the jump keys. You just have to memorize the key combinations once (which are very intuitive by the way), and use them everywhere, not just in Linux. I do 90% of my work in Visual Studio and I'm running a Vim emulator because it makes my life easier. What if you have to modify 500 lines of code by applying a similar pattern? Well with sed you do that in 10 seconds and move on.

On 8/9/2017 at 4:54 PM, Erik Sieghart said:

There's nothing inefficient about being able to point exactly on screen where you want to edit and be there instantaneously.

Switching between and edit and command mode isn't intuitive to a file you've already opened to edit. Just because it's the workflow you've grown accustomed to doesn't mean it's the most efficient workflow and how fast you can edit a file is irrelevant to how productive a programmer is.

If you need to modify 500 lines of code that all have a similar pattern I'd argue your code needs a serious refactor.

Vim is UI design done horribly wrong.

From what I understand you only dislike the fact that's very difficult to learn Vim. Which I agree, it can take months to learn to use Vim properly. But once you learn all the tricks you can't deny the advantages. By relying on the mouse for programming it's like clicking your spells in World of Warcraft, only newbies do that.

Let's presume Vim is stupid and we shouldn't use it. In any random IDE you will still have to learn the hotkeys otherwise you are slow an inefficient. By using the mouse, clicking on menus and submenus you disconnect yourself from what you are doing.

For example, let's say I want to comment this random paragraph of code. I could take the mouse in my hand, right click and drag the piece of text I want to comment and click on the comment code button if it's on the screen, if not, go to Edit > comment. Or I could just use vim to select the current paragraph "vap", Ctrl+K+C and be done with it. You save time and focus on what's important. It's important for all programmers to know their editor to maximize their efficiency. I only see beginners rely on the mouse, more experienced devs focus on using the keyboard extensively.