Opinions on Dragon Ball

Okjoek

Back some years ago I had watched the (new at the time) Dragon Ball Z Kai as my intro to the franchise. I felt kind of lost as to the back story of numerous characters for a while. I stopped watching after Frieza was killed. I regret not watching through the Androids and Cell though because I recently picked the show back up for that recently. I'm also watching the series with Buu right now, but I don't like it as much as Cell because Cell felt like the ultimate conclusion in passing of the torch to Gohan and redemption for Vegeta which actually brings me to one observation, the show doesn't seem to have much character development for the pure-hearted protagonist Goku and instead puts a lot of development into Vegeta and Gohan's characters which I found to be pretty cool especially since that character with his silly "It's over 9000!" meme was the whole reason I considered starting the Kai series when it came out. Another thing about the show after Cell was that it seems to be the last time numerous of the main characters even influence the conflicts because the enemies just seem to keep getting stronger so that many characters simply become obsolete.

20 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Back some years ago I had watched the (new at the time) Dragon Ball Z Kai as my intro to the franchise. I felt kind of lost as to the back story of numerous characters for a while. I stopped watching after Frieza was killed. I regret not watching through the Androids and Cell though because I recently picked the show back up for that recently. I'm also watching the series with Buu right now, but I don't like it as much as Cell because Cell felt like the ultimate conclusion in passing of the torch to Gohan and redemption for Vegeta which actually brings me to one observation, the show doesn't seem to have much character development for the pure-hearted protagonist Goku and instead puts a lot of development into Vegeta and Gohan's characters which I found to be pretty cool especially since that character with his silly "It's over 9000!" meme was the whole reason I considered starting the Kai series when it came out. Another thing about the show after Cell was that it seems to be the last time numerous of the main characters even influence the conflicts because the enemies just seem to keep getting stronger so that many characters simply become obsolete.

The characters do change a lot but I always liked the fact that the battles and story change quite a bit. One minute you're beating Cell or Frieza and the next they just do their op transformation making the battle a lot more fun to watch. 

Show is good and worth watching every bit of it. But as for DB Super..... EH.....

YES! A chance to talk about Dragonball!

The show shined the best in the Namek saga, the frieza battles were pretty cool, but definitely WAY too drug out. I just love the Namek saga. You have Vegeta using stealth and tactics to take on Frieza and his men, we get to learn Piccolo and Vegeta's origin stories, some bad ass Goku moments, and even Krillin and Gohan getting some action! My favorite part of the series no doubt. Also, Frieza is the best villian, hands down, especially in the Kai version. Though I love the Ocean dub.

I know the odds are against me but if there's a way to win I'M GONNA FIND IT!

The Android saga was really cool too, with so many different enemies in play it definitely made it more interesting to watch. You had the three androids and you had Imperfect Cell. Imperfect Cell was an amazing villain too, and he basically does what Vegeta did in the Namek saga and outsmarts the Z fighters to achieve his goals. Semi perfect Cell, BORING. Perfect Cell, very entertaining at times in the original dub, but he's just shallow compared to Frieza, no contest here. The Cell games were entertaining and had its moments, but again, too drug out for me. I also fucking love this saga because Piccolo finally gets his so deserved time in the spotlight. Tien even has his moments! Also, Future Trunks is amazing too. :)

Buu saga, no. No. So much no. While entertaining at times, the whole saga is just fighting Buu. And when you think about it, every battle before the very last was ultimately pointless as Goku ended it all with the spirit bomb. He could have just done that at any time before. So yeah, way too drug out, too goofy and just feels lazy when put next to the rest of the show. THOUGH, Vegeta's character development was neat.

The Saiyan saga is really amazing at times and has its moments, but it kinda feels lazy at times. The Z fighters make quick work of the Saibamen, then Nappa comes and just buries everyone. Too many one sided fights. Don't even get me started on the insane amount of filler. But criticisms aside, this is still an amazing arc. We learn Goku's origins, we learn more about Piccolo, it introduces Gohan and Vegeta, Gohan making Piccolo change, etc etc etc. Also, the animation in this saga is top notch, and the battle scenes are a joy to watch!

Now about Dragonball, started out slow but once it got to the Tao saga it got good, like really good. The battles were so well animated that it just puts Z to shame. The tournament where Tien is introduced and the last tournament are especially perfect arcs. The king Piccolo saga was also amazing. One thing it got right that Z mostly got wrong was the use of all its characters. You didn't have to be an alien to kick ass in this show. Tien and Krillin were just plain awesome.

So, final thoughts, the show is really awesome but has its flaws. The best part of the show is Tao all the way up to Imperfect Cell. After that it does start a slow decline IMO.

PS: Piccolo > all

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

9 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

, but again, too drug out for me.

So yeah, way too drug out,

Don't even get me started on the insane amount of filler.

That's why I love the abridged series and stuff. Oh and to really compact the Namek arc:

I do think that this was a perfect finale.

The Dragon Ball franchise has such an awesome past history, its hard to describe how great and how bad it can be at times without somehow contradicting myself, especially today's saga, DBS.

Dragon Ball Super sadly seems to be a very divided show, old fans cant get along with the new fans and the manga is taking a different route in terms of character growth in power (Goku can fight on par with Merged Zamasu with mastered SSB and can use the Hakai technique from Lord Beerus and other Gods of Destruction, whereas in the anime he can "tank" the Hakai technique from Sidra and use Kaioken with SSB up to x10, so far, but even then he doesnt seem as strong as his manga variant).

Theres a lot of inconsistencies now, but thats not to say that in the past in Dragon Ball, Z and GT there werent any issues with that particular negative point, but one that seems to trick everyone's minds is the Kale incredible power issue.

Broly's first appearance in the movie "The Legendary Super Saiyan" was able to fight MSSJ Goku, MSSJ Gohan, ASSJ Trunks, ASSJ Vegeta and Super Namekian Piccolo like they were simple hares vs an imperial eagle, where it took the combined power of all the Z-fighters present sharing their energy with Goku to defeat him, which he did indeed.

In the next movie, "Broly: The Second Coming", we have SSJ2 Adult Gohan (weakened from the lack of training), SSJ Trunks, SSJ Goten, Videl and Krillin fighting this monster until somehow SSJ Goku shows up thanks to the Dragon Balls wishing powers, but everyone in here seemed to be stronger than before (except Gohan probably) and still managed to beat Broly, albeit with fewer numbers and skilled fighters, but it didnt take a SSJ2, SSJ3 Goku or SSJ Gotenks to win versus the LSSJ Broly (proving how the LSSJ transformation shouldnt be much stronger than seasoned SSJ's).

I dont even like the third movie of Bio-Broly, which is just a Super Saiyan mudman vs Goten, Trunks and Krillin... lol.

Now we see in DB Super what is meant to be the "Legendary Super Saiyan" of universe 6, without any reference to a LSSJ from universe 7, casually stomping a MSSJ2 Goku which is far stronger than what he was as SSJ3 in the Buu saga, kicking her and doing absolutely no damage at all.

The SSB kamehameha with completely no damage to Berserker Kale is yet another story that is so poorly explained and shown, any theories come out inconclusive and seemingly an illusion of the truth which is a transformation that sould not surpass even SSJ2 matching a divine ki SSB character being whom has fought a "SSJ recolour" of Frieza and a crazy fused overpowered evil Saiyan and an immortal Supreme Kai and trained throughout his entirel lifetime with multiple celestial beings and other powerful warriors, losing to a girl who cant keep up her sanity and posture when offended or close to foreign people!?

Dragon Ball is still excellent nonetheless, but in Super i really just watch it because i love the fighting and in general the artistic elements have matched the animation itself. Whenever i want an explanation to what happened, i just read the Manga.