Setting up a Minecraft Server, need some info.

Yes I know, Minecraft. Me and a friend are setting it up because we wanted to start up a server to play on and for others to play on. But I need some info

First, is this good enough for running a minecraft server, possibly 2 (It will be modded):

AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6ghz quad core

12gb ram quad channel

HD 5750 (Possibly r9 270x)

1tb hdd

725w psu

And that's it for the pc.

Second, Can a radeon r9 270x help to take part of the load of running the server for the cpu? Seeing as they're extremely good for calculations and they are the bitcoin choice card, I was thinking it was possible to shift workload

Third, Would it be wise to have a Raid setup, such as raid 0?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

1. Depends on how many players will play on it and if you use modpacks

2. a gpu wont help you

3. raid 0 is just helping if you need faster loading times. a normal hdd is normaly fast enough

2 minutes ago, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

50 to a 100 players

So you aim to be one of the top ~200-250 servers in the world? 

You should think about stronger hardware in that case.....

Otherwise, that hardware is fine though an SSD would be much more preferable for chunk and map generations. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

i would also replace that psu to something more effecient, since you normaly run a server 24/7. Maybe 80+ gold. 

That is far enough specs, the processor speed can affect the game performance but is not as important as having RAM and disk speeds.  If both servers are modded allocate a lot of RAM to each one.  

Raid 0 should only be considered if you have redundant backups.  Have an external drive, if you are running windows then use file history to back these up, on Linux (recommended) use Rsync. 

You should also consider security, how are you going to seperate the servers from your home network? How would you mitigate network attacks? How will you secure remote access?  

In my experience, most gaming communities whether self hosting or not, can be very good at actually administrating and managing servers but developing streamlined policies that provide structure and security to the servers are non existent or at least not understood by everyone. 

Sorry, just trying to give advice.  Good luck. 

6 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

That is far enough specs, the processor speed can affect the game performance but is not as important as having RAM and disk speeds.  If both servers are modded allocate a lot of RAM to each one.  

Raid 0 should only be considered if you have redundant backups.  Have an external drive, if you are running windows then use file history to back these up, on Linux (recommended) use Rsync. 

You should also consider security, how are you going to seperate the servers from your home network? How would you mitigate network attacks? How will you secure remote access?  

In my experience, most gaming communities whether self hosting or not, can be very good at actually administrating and managing servers but developing streamlined policies that provide structure and security to the servers are non existent or at least not understood by everyone. 

Sorry, just trying to give advice.  Good luck. 

The security point is a good reason why you normaly get a server host with ddos protection. These servers can than also be maintained by people that have hardware lying around in case the hdd/cpu etc dies. if you are living in a hot climate your home wont heat up and the room the pc would have been in is quiet.

8 minutes ago, Admiraldeamlich said:

i would also replace that psu to something more effecient, since you normaly run a server 24/7. Maybe 80+ gold. 

15 minutes ago, Admiraldeamlich said:

maybe try to get a ryzen cpu and a 960evo. heres a link to futuremark so you can compare some cpus https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu

Unfortunately not made of money. my PSU is 80 silver, so it should be OK.

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

1 minute ago, Admiraldeamlich said:

The security point is a good reason why you normaly get a server host with ddos protection. These servers can than also be maintained by people that have hardware lying around in case the hdd/cpu etc dies. if you are living in a hot climate your home wont heat up and the room the pc would have been in is quiet.

DDoS protection can be homemade by just having a person sit with a moderator and the moderator verify they seem ok, and then whitelisting them so if the server comes under attack, we can just block out the non-verified Ips and allow the good ones.

Just now, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

DDoS protection can be homemade by just having a person sit with a moderator and the moderator verify they seem ok,a nd then whitelisting them so if the server comes under attack, we can just block out the non-verified Ips and allow the good ones.

if i request your pc with a bot net as fast as i can, than the whitelist wont keep up. Dont forget that your pc has to check every ip in your list

Just now, Admiraldeamlich said:

if i request your pc with a bot net as fast as i can, than the whitelist wont keep up. Dont forget that your pc has to check every ip in your list

If it's about 20 or 30 players on that list, it shouldn't take too long to detect. In addition, my ISP could just block strange traffic or any sort of weird pings.

If it's about 20 or 30 players on that list, it shouldn't take too long to detect. In addition, my ISP could just block strange traffic or any sort of weird pings.

Not detect, check.

back when i hosted game servers they attacked us with 100gb/s. There are no "strange" ips since you have normal pcs in a botnet. Also its detected as normal traffic because they just try to connect to one of your servers over a gameport.

6 minutes ago, Admiraldeamlich said:

back when i hosted game servers they attacked us with 100gb/s. There are no "strange" ips since you have normal pcs in a botnet. Also its detected as normal traffic because they just try to connect to one of your servers over a gameport.

Ok then. How about a limit of 10 requests per second?

Ok then. How about a limit of 10 requests per second?

Than your real players would also be blocked and have to wait till they are first in the list to chek the whitelist

Just now, Admiraldeamlich said:

Than your real players would also be blocked and have to wait till they are first in the list to chek the whitelist

As in all the time.

As in all the time.

when the botnet has about 2000 clients they would have to wait 20 sec. In that time they usually click refresh atleast once or stop reconnecting

I mean by 10 requests per minute 10 people joining or pinging the server, then they have to wait to join. In addition, we could cut internet speed to the server down to lets say 50 mb/s in order to "thin" the tunnel they can go through.

But I've gtg for now.

You can't prevent DDoS on your own. It has nothing to do with the Minecraft whitelist.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

As far as the specs go, the CPU and RAM is good enough for 2 medium servers. That is a relatively high TDP CPU so you'll use a decent amount of power.

You can't offload anything onto the GPU so no sense in even having it in the system if you can avoid it.

And if you can get a cheap 120GB SSD or so in the system that'll help tremendously with chunk generation and keeping TPS high.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro