Static pressure RGB fans with Aura Sync

Jonathan Lemmens

I'd like to get some RGB fans to use with Aura Sync on an Asus ROG Strix Z270 ITX. The NZXT aer RGB seem compatible with Aura, but look very much like regular AF-fans. Will these perform well in front of a rad or fan filter?

I've seen the Thermaltake Riing RGB as well, they are definitely SP-fans, but they come with their own RGB controller. Can I use these with Asus Aura Sync too?

Any other suggestions are welcome, I'm looking for 140mm RGB static pressure fans specifically. Thank you :) 

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

I'd like to get some RGB fans to use with Aura Sync on an Asus ROG Strix Z270 ITX. The NZXT aer RGB seem compatible with Aura, but look very much like regular AF-fans. Will these perform well in front of a rad or fan filter?

I've seen the Thermaltake Riing RGB as well, they are definitely SP-fans, but they come with their own RGB controller. Can I use these with Asus Aura Sync too?

Any other suggestions are welcome, I'm looking for 140mm RGB static pressure fans specifically. Thank you :) 

I made a custom controller to sync corsair SP120 RGB fans to an Aura header. Not sure if there is a 140mm varient made, as there isn't one available where I live :(

The controller should be able to swap between 120 and 140mm fans no prob.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

1 minute ago, unknownmiscreant said:

I made a custom controller to sync corsair SP120 RGB fans to an Aura header. Not sure if there is a 140mm varient made, as there isn't one available where I live :(

The controller should be able to swap between 120 and 140mm fans no prob.

How did you make a custom controller?

I don't see any corsair SP140mm RGB here as well, but maybe I can make a custom controller for the Thernaltake Riing too.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

How did you make a custom controller?

I don't see any corsair SP140mm RGB here as well, but maybe I can make a custom controller for the Thernaltake Riing too.

IDK about the thermaltake fans. but here is a link to a guide I wrote about the SP fan controller.

Be warned, that while it worked for me, it might go wrong for you, and whilst nothing is damaged on any of the hardware, failures might not be covered under warranty, and it does require electronics experience. (Don't blame me if your kitten dies cos of this)

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

5 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

IDK about the thermaltake fans. but here is a link to a guide I wrote about the SP fan controller.

Be warned, that while it worked for me, it might go wrong for you, and whilst nothing is damaged on any of the hardware, failures might not be covered under warranty, and it does require electronics experience. (Don't blame me if your kitten dies cos of this)

Thanks. I'm moderately experienced with electronics, but this Adruino stuff does seem to be a bit over my skill level :| 

Do you maybe have an opinion on the NZXT aer RGB, do they work well in front of a radiator?

21 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Thanks. I'm moderately experienced with electronics, but this Adruino stuff does seem to be a bit over my skill level :| 

Do you maybe have an opinion on the NZXT aer RGB, do they work well in front of a radiator?

You won't be able to sort this without an arduino, or other micro controller, as the LEDs require digital RGB input, rather than the analogue from the aura connectors.

The NZXT fans you are talking about have individually addressable LEDs, so I would look at WS2811/2812 LEDs. Try find someone who has made a custom controller for them, you should be able to amalgamate my post and their info to get something working, but no guarantees.

Also, the NZXT RGB fans look more like a hybrid fan, than fully static pressure optimized. If you want good radiator fans, the EK vardars are really good, and the SP120s are quite good too.

Here is a guide to static pressure vs airflow and how to tell what a fan is:

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/fans-for-liquid-cooling-what-you-need-to-know/

Be very judgmental about fans, choose something with max 1800RPM (ish), as all the numbers they quote for pressure and airflow are always at max RPM, and not many fans scale well at low RPMs. I've been burned by cooler master jetflos. They are utterly crap, as when running quietly, they move next to no air. They do quite well if you let them sound like a jet engine.

Make sure to get something with sweeping, curved blades (when viewed from above) for a radiator (straight balded fans are always airflow,) however you could always do push/pull, with decent fans on one side and RGB on the other.

Feel free to post anything you want me to check, as decent fans cost $$ and getting duds sucks. But make sure to tag/quote as otherwise I won't see it.

edit: if you want NZXT, these look good:

https://www.nzxt.com/products/fx-v2

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

8 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

You won't be able to sort this without an arduino, or other micro controller, as the LEDs require digital RGB input, rather than the analogue from the aura connectors.

The NZXT fans you are talking about have individually addressable LEDs, so I would look at WS2811/2812 LEDs. Try find someone who has made a custom controller for them, you should be able to amalgamate my post and their info to get something working, but no guarantees.

Also, the NZXT RGB fans look more like a hybrid fan, than fully static pressure optimized. If you want good radiator fans, the EK vardars are really good, and the SP120s are quite good too.

Here is a guide to static pressure vs airflow and how to tell what a fan is:

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/fans-for-liquid-cooling-what-you-need-to-know/

Be very judgmental about fans, choose something with max 1800RPM (ish), as all the numbers they quote for pressure and airflow are always at max RPM, and not many fans scale well at low RPMs. I've been burned by cooler master jetflos. They are utterly crap, as when running quietly, they move next to no air. They do quite well if you let them sound like a jet engine.

Make sure to get something with sweeping, curved blades (when viewed from above) for a radiator (straight balded fans are always airflow,) however you could always do push/pull, with decent fans on one side and RGB on the other.

Feel free to post anything you want me to check, as decent fans cost $$ and getting duds sucks. But make sure to tag/quote as otherwise I won't see it.

Thank you. I know a fair bit about fans already, just not the RGB part :P 

I'm very pleased with the Corsair SP-120's and 140's (non RGB) in my current PC, I may as well re-use those for the new rig and only add RGB LED strips for lighting.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Thank you. I know a fair bit about fans already, just not the RGB part :P 

I'm very pleased with the Corsair SP-120's and 140's (non RGB) in my current PC, I may as well re-use those for the new rig and only add RGB LED strips for lighting.

Actually, you might be able to do something like that, just add RGB strips between the fans and radiator. That might look better too, as the SP120 RGB fans I have have slightly 'off' colours compared to the rest of my lighting.Might try that myself actually.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s