6/8 Pin PCIe to 4 Pin PCIe adapter

brytrickgaming

Yes, you read the title right. A friend of mine is needing an adapter that goes from either a 6 or 8 Pin PCIe power supply connector to a 4 Pin PCIe connector. Not a 4 Pin Molex. Does anyone Know Where to get one?  

Case - NZXT GAMMA Classic Series

Motherboard - ASUS M5A97 R2.0 

Processor - AMD FX-6300 @ 3.87Ghz

GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 760 2Gb 

RAM - DDR3 G.Skill Sniper series 8Gb (2 x 4Gb) 

Heat Sink - ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 

Hard Drive - Western Digital 1Tb Green

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

There is no 4 pin PCIe power connector (AFAIK). What card is he trying to power?

It goes to his motherboard 

2 minutes ago, brytrickgaming said:

It goes to his motherboard 

Then it's not a PCIe connector. If it's a 4 pin, it's most likely going to be the EPS/CPU power connector. The PSU should have one, though it may be an 8 pin or 4+4 pin cable. A PCIe connector wouldn't fit. 

Could you post a picture (or tell me the motherboard model) and tell me the PSU he has. Unless he's missing a cable from the PSU (if it's modular) or if the PSU or motherboard isn't using the ATX connector standards, you shouldn't need any additional cables. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Then it's not a PCIe connector. If it's a 4 pin, it's most likely going to be the EPS/CPU power connector. The PSU should have one, though it may be an 8 pin or 4+4 pin cable. A PCIe connector wouldn't fit. 

Okay, and the power supply he has didn't come with one. he just recently replaced the old PSU with the one he has now.

Just now, brytrickgaming said:

Okay, and the power supply he has didn't come with one. he just recently replaced the old PSU with the one he has now.

What PSU is it? And is it the connector towards the top of the motherboard, somewhere around the CPU socket? 

Unless there's a missing cable from a modular PSU, it will have the connector if it's the CPU power connector. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What PSU is it? And is it the connector towards the top of the motherboard, somewhere around the CPU socket? 

Unless there's a missing cable from a modular PSU, it will have the connector if it's the CPU power connector. 

I don't know what PSU it is. Also, yes, it is the connector near the CPU socket, but I do know that it is not a modular PSU. 

Any power supply made in the last ten years is going to have the 4+4 pin power plug. And it's normally hardwired with the primary 24 pin harness on almost every modular PSU I have seen. 

Unless you managed to find some sort of mutant chinese manufactured non standard PSU. I suppose that is possible.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

4 minutes ago, brytrickgaming said:

I don't know what PSU it is. Also, yes, it is the connector near the CPU socket, but I do know that it is not a modular PSU. 

Then it most certainly has the connector. It's required for the system to power on, so all PSUs will have it. 

As I mentioned before, the connector may be an 8 pin connector or 8 pin split into 2x 4pin connectors. If that is the case, he can just plug in 4 of the 8 pins, either side of the 8 pin will work. They're keyed in such a way that makes it impossible to plug it in wrong, so he doesn't need to worry about getting the orientation wrong. If it's not in the correct position, it will not connect. 

EDIT: It will likely look like this. Plug one of the 4 pin sets in. If it's not split, just plug one side in as if they were a split pair. 

CPU-44.jpg

3 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Any power supply made in the last ten years is going to have the 4+4 pin power plug. And it's normally hardwired with the primary 24 pin harness on almost every modular PSU I have seen. 

Unless you managed to find some sort of mutant chinese manufactured non standard PSU. I suppose that is possible.

10 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

The only connectors he has that are free are a 6 pin a 6+2 pin and an 8 pin that does not split into a 4+4 pin, also he has the 20/24 pin connected. Its the connector next to the CPU that he needs the 4 pin for. 

1 minute ago, brytrickgaming said:

The only connectors he has that are free are a 6 pin a 6+2 pin and an 8 pin that does not split into a 4+4 pin, also he has the 20/24 pin connected. Its the connector next to the CPU that he needs the 4 pin for. 

Got some pictures of this setup? My money is on the 8 pin being the one you're looking for; if it fits in thats the one, they're keyed differently from a PCI-E connector.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Just now, ApolloX75 said:

Got some pictures of this setup? My money is on the 8 pin being the one you're looking for; if it fits in thats the one, they're keyed differently from a PCI-E connector.

The only picture I have of the build is of the motherboard, where the 4 pin would go. 

34 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Then it most certainly has the connector. It's required for the system to power on, so all PSUs will have it. 

As I mentioned before, the connector may be an 8 pin connector or 8 pin split into 2x 4pin connectors. If that is the case, he can just plug in 4 of the 8 pins, either side of the 8 pin will work. They're keyed in such a way that makes it impossible to plug it in wrong, so he doesn't need to worry about getting the orientation wrong. If it's not in the correct position, it will not connect. 

EDIT: It will likely look like this. Plug one of the 4 pin sets in. If it's not split, just plug one side in as if they were a split pair. 

CPU-44.jpg

Okay, so turns out that the 8 pin did fit in the slot ( as in one side went in) but it still dis not work, (he did try the other side). So, he said he would just try and find another power supply. 

23 minutes ago, brytrickgaming said:

Okay, so turns out that the 8 pin did fit in the slot ( as in one side went in) but it still dis not work, (he did try the other side). So, he said he would just try and find another power supply. 

It should work fine, I doubt it's on the PSU end. I have an 8 pin in a 4 pin connector on one of my systems, it works fine. Chances are if he changes PSU it still won't work as there's most likely something wrong. 

On 8/7/2017 at 1:11 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

It should work fine, I doubt it's on the PSU end. I have an 8 pin in a 4 pin connector on one of my systems, it works fine. Chances are if he changes PSU it still won't work as there's most likely something wrong. 

Okay, thank's for the help and i will let him know.