I want to upgrade a prebuilt PC's processor. HELP!

This PC currently has a motherboard called: ASUS M4A78LTM_LE

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A78LTM_LE/

It has the processor called: AMD Athlon II X2 250

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X2+250&id=136 

The processor and motherboard have the socket AM3.

I want to know this processor would work: AMD Phenom II X4 955

https://www.amazon.it/AMD-X4-955-3-2-GHz-Quad-Core-processore-HDX955WFK4DGM/dp/B01CQO7XPM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502052218&sr=8-2&keywords=phenom+ii+x4

If there are better processors that are compatible, then let me know. 

IMPORTANT: I'm doing this for someone in Italy so it has to be able to be shipped in Italy which is why that amazon link is in italian.

Thank you!

the X4 955 isnt even supported according to the CPU support list. The fastest you could get would be an X4 945 or an X6 1035T/1045T

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Yea the 4 corer Phenoms are your best bet on that platform, or a 6 core (Phenom X6) if you can get your hands on one. That is providing your motherboard supports it, because I know some AM3 chips were quite power hungry.

I just upgraded from an Athlon X2 255 on a similar boards to an AM4 machine and man it's a big difference. Costs quite a bit more though, than just swapping the CPU.

But if you're gonna look into a new CPU on a different board, you're gonna have to get new memory too and the motherboard might not fit if you're case is non standard and at that point you're just buying a new system.. But if you were thinking about that, you could look into the new Ryzen 3 CPU's. Quite good value IMO.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Yea the 4 corer Phenoms are your best bet on that platform, or a 6 core (Phenom X6) if you can get your hands on one. That is providing your motherboard supports it, because I know some AM3 chips were quite power hungry.

I just upgraded from an Athlon X2 255 on a similar boards to an AM4 machine and man it's a big difference. Costs quite a bit more though, than just swapping the CPU.

But if you're gonna look into a new CPU on a different board, you're gonna have to get new memory too and the motherboard might not fit if you're case is non standard and at that point you're just buying a new system.. But if you were thinking about that, you could look into the new Ryzen 3 CPU's. Quite good value IMO.

I cannot do a mobo swap as that will be too much work with trying to keep the OS the same without doing a fresh install, but thanks a lot for the info! I will keep researching.

Tbh, an AM3 CPU is not worth upgrading imo. If your budget is really tight and will remain so for a while, then maybe it is. But if you can, try to save enough to buy a new platform (mobo, CPU and RAM) if you need an upgrade. 

Just now, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Tbh, an AM3 CPU is not worth upgrading imo. If your budget is really tight and will remain so for a while, then maybe it is. But if you can, try to save enough to buy a new platform (mobo, CPU and RAM) if you need an upgrade. 

It's a workstation so don't need much. Just want to have 4 cores instead of 2 for better multitasking.

1 minute ago, DatBoiWaddup said:

It's a workstation so don't need much. Just want to have 4 cores instead of 2 for better multitasking.

But I'm afraid this mobo does not support anything over a dualcore. If you had an AM3+ mobo then yeah, you could get a decent performace bump. But because its 'just' AM3 and also a prebuilt PC it probably won't support many upgrades.