Upgrade to ryzen worth it?

acon

So I have an older ivy bridge pc with an oem hp motherboard with a core i5 3470 and a gtx1050ti, 8gb of ram. I was wondering if i should get a better case and power supply to put this system in for around $200 or scrap it and go with a ryzen 3 1300x based system with the same gtx 1050ti? Would the upgrade to all the hardware be worth it? Or am i okay for awhile with my ivy bridge chip? Also would put an ssd in it to replace the wd blue 1tb hdd.

The 1300X wouldn't be a big enough upgrade to justify the money spent. I'd keep using the Ivy Bridge chip.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You'll be good for another year or two especially if you're mostly buying entry level GPUs like your 1050 Ti. Save the money for a proper upgrade later 

Either save the money for a big upgrade or get a 2600/3770 for cheap.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

A new case and power supply would be sufficient though right?

2 minutes ago, acon said:

A new case and power supply would be sufficient though right?

its not going to make the machine any faster , so if the placebo effect of buying something helps you than you can if you want

1 minute ago, emosun said:

its not going to make the machine any faster , so if the placebo effect of buying something helps you than you can if you want

Well the thing is its a small form factor so I'm limited on half height gpus. And the cooling really sucks. Plus I was thinking of just being able to reuse the new case psu and cooler with a bigger upgrade in the future once I save more money. The board in there is a regular micro atx though.