Creators Update Install Issues

Hi all. I've been having an issue trying to install the Creators update. I don't really want it, but my machine keeps downloading and trying to install it, but is not able to. Windows Update downloads the update with no issues, I click install when it finishes, the computer configures Windows to update, restarts and I hit a BSOD upon restart, which is what I have attached. I've tried using the Windows Upgrade assistant, tried using my Windows USB drive to repair my current windows installation and tried installing the update, and I've ran the sfc /scannow command just to make sure there is no file corruption. Despite my best efforts, I've had no luck. My system is an Asus x99 deluxe-II motherboard with an i7-6850k, 32 gb 3000 mHz ram, a Samsung 960 pro m.2 NVME boot SSD, and a gtx 1080. I think thats all the relevant hardware, if you need anymore specs let me know. However, I wouldn't have installed this update, but Windows keeps re-downloading after each failed install, devouring what little bandwidth I have. Does anyone know of a solution to just get this update installed? I honestly have a feeling Microsoft screwed up and didn't include NVME support for its in-place update.

image_2017-08-06_03-29-02_1.jpg

Do you have a spare USB on hand that you can flash and ISO onto? (or do you have the media creation USB?)

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

3 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Do you have a spare USB on hand that you can flash and ISO onto? (or do you have the media creation USB?)

I have the drive that my Windows 10 purchase came with, however I do have spare drives as well. I'm downloading an ISO right now, but I really want to avoid a new install, because I have so much stuff!

Just now, Atra1n2 said:

I have the drive that my Windows 10 purchase came with, however I do have spare drives as well. I'm downloading an ISO right now, but I really want to avoid a new install, because I have so much stuff!

You probably dont need to, through if you do, just liveboot (or install to a USB stick, why not) into linux, copy files into somewhere, reinstall.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

You probably dont need to, through if you do, just liveboot (or install to a USB stick, why not) into linux, copy files into somewhere, reinstall.

I'm going to try and mount the ISO in windows first and see if I can fix anything that way. If that doesn't work, I'll boot from it and try doing a "repair install." If that doesn't work, I really don't know what else to do, but a clean install, and I really don't want to.

1 minute ago, Atra1n2 said:

I'm going to try and mount the ISO in windows first and see if I can fix anything that way. If that doesn't work, I'll boot from it and try doing a "repair install." If that doesn't work, I really don't know what else to do, but a clean install, and I really don't want to.

Good luck, hope it works

Bow down to me humans.

Just now, limegorilla said:

Good luck, hope it works

Thanks, still waiting on the download. May be a little later before I give it a go. I'll update the thread after I try this.

If you are going to do a clean install, be sure to backup your stuff first.

To me, it sounds like a driver issue on a critical component. Either has a bug with the upgrade process, and doesn't get installed, or probably needs to be updated before updating the OS. A clean install with the latest version of Windows (Creators Update) will definitely solve this problem.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If you are going to do a clean install, be sure to backup your stuff first.

To me, it sounds like a driver issue on a critical component. Either has a bug with the upgrade process, and doesn't get installed, or probably needs to be updated before updating the OS. A clean install with the latest version of Windows (Creators Update) will definitely solve this problem.

I ran a "repair" install with a windows 10 creators update ISO and had to leave it sit a few hours while I was gone. I came back and it successfully installed Version 1703. So I dodged the clean install process. I suspect there are some missing drivers or support in the normal upgrade package that renders it incompatible with NVME devices.

3 hours ago, Atra1n2 said:

I ran a "repair" install with a windows 10 creators update ISO and had to leave it sit a few hours while I was gone. I came back and it successfully installed Version 1703. So I dodged the clean install process. I suspect there are some missing drivers or support in the normal upgrade package that renders it incompatible with NVME devices.

Hmm.... interesting.. I guess this is the drawback of too new tech.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Hmm.... interesting.. I guess this is the drawback of too new tech.

You could say that, but from my experience lately with Windows 10, that is just a drawback of Microsoft products in general.

3 hours ago, Atra1n2 said:

You could say that, but from my experience lately with Windows 10, that is just a drawback of Microsoft products in general.

I don't know.. people always say this with every version of Windows. While I have no scientific data, the number of issues, to me, sounds about the same between Windows 7, 8 and 10. When things works, people don't tend to make a thread on how their system works great.

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't know.. people always say this with every version of Windows. While I have no scientific data, the number of issues, to me, sounds about the same between Windows 7, 8 and 10. When things works, people don't tend to make a thread on how their system works great.

That's true. I think everyone is just really taking notice, moreso than previous versions, because of the huge shift to the whole Windows as a service thing, and the aggressive data collection. Windows 10 has been a huge transition.