Is this the normal amount of liquid for a 280mm rad?

13 minutes ago, Linus_KEK_Tips said:

A standard 45 mm thick 280mm rad will hold about 290 ml of liquid

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

A standard 45 mm thick 280mm rad will hold about 290 ml of liquid

If it's from an aio (generally 25mm) (or the plethora of slimmer rads) it could be significantly less. 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

The amount of liquid contained in an AIO will vary depending on the size of the radiator and the length of the tubing connecting the radiator to the pump.  Since you stated it was a 280 radiator, hypothetically it will contain twice as much as a 140 radiator given the length of the tubing and the size of the pump are the same.

I just recently did some research on AIO's for a client of mine and unfortunately the volume of the radiators (120/140/240/280/360) that I looked at is listed.  They were only listed by physical size.

The only time that volume of the radiator would be an issue is if the radiator is part of a DIY setup where all the factors of the parts would come in to play.  Of course, the larger the radiator and the longer the tubes, the more volume, hence more liquid coolant.

Good Luck.

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

If it's from an aio (generally 25mm) (or the plethora of slimmer rads) it could be significantly less. 

My AIO is 38mm thick

45 minutes ago, Linus_KEK_Tips said:

My AIO is 38mm thick

I measured an XSPC EX280 (36mm) a while back and it was 225ML (.95 cup) so I'd say that might be a little bit on the low side for your average 280mm rad.  How much the particular rad you have needs could vary quite a bit

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

8 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I measured an XSPC EX280 (36mm) a while back and it was 225ML (.95 cup) so I'd say that might be a little bit on the low side for your average 280mm rad.  How much the particular rad you have needs could vary quite a bit

The reason i'm doing this is I think there is gunk in the loop stopping flow and causing overheating it is over 3 years old.

2 minutes ago, Linus_KEK_Tips said:

The reason i'm doing this is I think there is gunk in the loop stopping flow and causing overheating it is over 3 years old.

It's an AIO right?  If so I'd recommend just tossing it and getting another one.  After that much time there is likely corrosion taking place from mixed metals and it may not be just a clog.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just now, 0ld_Chicken said:

It's an AIO right?  If so I'd recommend just tossing it and getting another one.  After that much time there is likely corrosion taking place from mixed metals and it may not be just a clog.

I'm broke.and edit to last post the guy lied how long he had it since the thing came out in mid 2015

10 minutes ago, Linus_KEK_Tips said:

I'm broke.and edit to last post the guy lied how long he had it since the thing came out in mid 2015

could try and warranty it if you haven't voided that by draining it.  What AIO is it?

could try and warranty it if you haven't voided that by draining it.  What AIO is it?

hehe never had proof of purchase corsair was being a dick and I just drained it

13 minutes ago, Linus_KEK_Tips said:

hehe never had proof of purchase corsair was being a dick and I just drained it

Been there!  Good luck getting it cleaned out.  You'll definitely want to get some fluid in there with some heavy anti corrosive properties, auto antifreeze may work in a pinch.  Most aio have mixed metals (aluminum and copper/brass) so corrosion will kill it quickly with regular water. 

If that 1/2 cup is all that you got out then it might've just been running low on fluid

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Been there!  Good luck getting it cleaned out.  You'll definitely want to get some fluid in there with some heavy anti corrosive properties, auto antifreeze may work in a pinch.  Most aio have mixed metals (aluminum and copper/brass) so corrosion will kill it quickly with regular water. 

If that 1/2 cup is all that you got out then it might've just been running low on fluid

If corrosion is a threat can I use vinegar overnight to just de gunk it

2 minutes ago, Linus_KEK_Tips said:

If corrosion is a threat can I use vinegar overnight to just de gunk it

vinegar may help get rid of the gunk, but the gunk is coming from the surfaces of the radiator and the cold plate.  Eventually they'll corrode straight through until they leak.

Make sure to rinse very well after using vinegar since it's acidic and will only help speed up corrosion if not properly rinsed out or neutralized.  

vinegar may help get rid of the gunk, but the gunk is coming from the surfaces of the radiator and the cold plate.  Eventually they'll corrode straight through until they leak.

Make sure to rinse very well after using vinegar since it's acidic and will only help speed up corrosion if not properly rinsed out or neutralized.  

Nah its not that bad

6 minutes ago, Linus_KEK_Tips said:

If it is a dead pump is there a way I can fix it?

There is a way to fix everything!  It may be difficult to find replacement parts though and I've never really seen anyone properly fix an AIO.  Most people I've seen in that position end up buying a cheap offbrand pump and just adding it into the loop with new tubing.  I'd get a cheap air cooler and call it a day