PSU Quality?

Go to solution Solved by nokturrduk84,

Enermax, Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, FSP, Super Flower... All good

Hey guys, I'm almost done with shopping and getting what I need on my list for my build. You guys have been a big help, thanks! :D

The last item on my list is a power supply. Right now I am looking at a Cooler Master V850. One thing about power supply reviews, they all have the same horror reviews of DOA, dying within 3 months or so, etc etc. So the PSU I decided to go with is the Cooler Master V850. So my question to you guys,  is there another you guys would recommend? Figured I'd ask before I purchased. I thought about going for a Corsair AX860i, but I read so many reviews of Corsair PSU AX series having bad coil whine. Even Linus made a video on it.

Thanks for reading! :D

Corsair/Seasonic is the best

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Hey guys, I'm almost done with shopping and getting what I need on my list for my build. You guys have been a big help, thanks! :D

The last item on my list is a power supply. Right now I am looking at a Cooler Master V850. One thing about power supply reviews, they all have the same horror reviews of DOA, dying within 3 months or so, etc etc. So the PSU I decided to go with is the Cooler Master V850. So my question to you guys,  is there another you guys would recommend? Figured I'd ask before I purchased. I thought about going for a Corsair AX860i, but I read so many reviews of Corsair PSU AX series having bad coil whine. Even Linus made a video on it.

Thanks for reading! :D

"AX" and "AXi" is not the same ;) I believe they fixed that issue with the "i" version of these PSUs because I myself have never experienced any coil whine :)

So if you got the money go AX860i and if not something else from Corsair :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Asus Maximus VI Hero

H100i

Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866

Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

WD 1TB (looking for 3TB during Black Friday or Cyber Monday, so it'll be 2 mechanical HDD soon)

780 Ti (Single GPU for now)

650w would be plenty for that build. RM 650 is a solid option. Seasonic also have some brilliant options, as well as bequiet. They're all worth looking at, you'll want to look at something around the price of an RM650 really, that'll give you a good view on how much to spend.

I'd get some other opinions first however as I'm not too familiar with the US market.

650w would be plenty for that build. RM 650 is a solid option. Seasonic also have some brilliant options, as well as bequiet. They're all worth looking at, you'll want to look at something around the price of an RM650 really, that'll give you a good view on how much to spend.

Nice, just read that CM V series is based off of Seasonic tech, so I guess that ain't a bad option. Thanks! I guess I'll look around before deciding and see if I can find a nice or nicer price.

Enermax, Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, FSP, Super Flower... All good

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

There some other companies which are heavily underated, seasonic and corsair arent the only good companies, nzxt,XFX, evga and fractal design make great psus.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Asus Maximus VI Hero

H100i

Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866

Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

WD 1TB (looking for 3TB during Black Friday or Cyber Monday, so it'll be 2 mechanical HDD soon)

780 Ti (Single GPU for now)

Are you planning to sli?

The 780 ti is a bad value...

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'd recommend Corsair, I've never had any problems with them.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

It might be better to tell you the bad companies instead as, its shorter list, the companies to stay away from are Coolermaster(gx and gx lite), Cit, Alpina, Ace, OCZ(the lower ranged ones are pathetic)

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Are you planning to sli?

The 780 ti is a bad value...

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

plan to sli in the future, and I did quote him afterwards. The part where I said "sorry, forgot to quote"

It might be better to tell you the bad companies instead as, its shorter list, the companies to stay away from are Coolermaster(gx and gx lite), Cit, Alpina, Ace, OCZ(the lower ranged ones are pathetic)

You'd want to stay away from OCZ now because you won't get a warranty.

You'd want to stay away from OCZ now because you won't get a warranty.

They are bankrupt right?

Listen if you care.

They are bankrupt right?

They've just filed for bankruptcy yes. I just lost my warranty on my week old PSU so I'm returning it to the shop and getting a different one

plan to sli in the future, and I did quote him afterwards. The part where I said "sorry, forgot to quote"

Ahh.

What are the rest of your specs? Are you dead set on the 780 Ti?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ahh.

What are the rest of your specs? Are you dead set on the 780 Ti?

lol I wish you were there when I made the thread on the 780!!!! a little off topic, but maybe you can throw your opinion on this. But I asked if I should go with 780 sli, or single 780 Ti. If I had to say I might second guess this build, then it would be on that, the GPU situation. Some said sli, others said single Ti. I am planning on doing some overclocking, but I'm going to start off little by little since I am new to it.

lol I wish you were there when I made the thread on the 780!!!! a little off topic, but maybe you can throw your opinion on this. But I asked if I should go with 780 sli, or single 780 Ti. If I had to say I might second guess this build, then it would be on that, the GPU situation. Some said sli, others said single Ti. I am planning on doing some overclocking, but I'm going to start off little by little since I am new to it.

What are you doing with the system? 

Build specs?

What are you doing with the system? 

Build specs?

For gaming, and some very little audio recording (podcast), but gaming is the build I'm going for.

Asus Maximus VI Hero

H100i

Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866

Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

WD 1TB

Windows 8 64 bit

CM Storm Stryker (replacing stock fans with Corsair 3 SP120's in the front, 1 AF140 rear exhaust, H100i as exhaust)

Going to go with an External drive later.

current GPU is a 680 Classified, but still debating which 780 I should go for.

I will oc the cpu, but the same as the GPU, I'm going to start little. All I need to do is buy a PSU to put it all together.

For gaming, and some very little audio recording (podcast), but gaming is the build I'm going for.

Asus Maximus VI Hero

H100i

Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866

Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

WD 1TB

Windows 8 64 bit

CM Storm Stryker (replacing stock fans with Corsair 3 SP120's in the front, 1 AF140 rear exhaust, H100i as exhaust)

Going to go with an External drive later.

current GPU is a 680 Classified, but still debating which 780 I should go for.

I will oc the cpu, but the same as the GPU, I'm going to start little. All I need to do is buy a PSU to put it all together.

Are you going to sli?

No need for an i7 if you're just gaming. An i5 is just a bit slower but much cheaper. 

8GB ram is plenty for gaming. No need for 16GB. I recommend just going 8GB and maybe adding more if you need it later.

SP120's are pretty darn loud. I wouldn't recommend them. They perform great but there are cheaper and quieter fans available.

It's not worth getting the H100i to oc the cpu just for gaming. You don't get much of a difference in performance in games for a slightly highly oc over what you would get with something much cheaper like the 212 Evo. 

Why the Maximus Hero?

Are you going to sli?

No need for an i7 if you're just gaming. An i5 is just a bit slower but much cheaper. 

8GB ram is plenty for gaming. No need for 16GB. I recommend just going 8GB and maybe adding more if you need it later.

SP120's are pretty darn loud. I wouldn't recommend them. They perform great but there are cheaper and quieter fans available.

It's not worth getting the H100i to oc the cpu just for gaming. You don't get much of a difference in performance in games for a slightly highly oc over what you would get with something much cheaper like the 212 Evo. 

Why the Maximus Hero?

I went with the hero since it was up for $190, and many have said its onboard sound is really good as well as some of the other features. As for the i7, its already bought and tested along with the mobo, so not much I can do about that. As for the ram, might as well get 16 now and save myself the trouble later on when I do decide to go for it. haswell runs hot, so I went with the H100i. it was a coin toss between that and noctua nh-d14. so yeah, everythings already bought. I figured its my money, might as well right? if not I'm just buying cigarettes and booze, and this build has helped me cut back lol. and as for sli, I had already mentioned that I will. If I go 780 instead of 780 Ti, I will sli sooner. Soooooooo yeah I guess it is time to pick a best answer and close this one, eh? because now we are a little off topic. :D

I went with the hero since it was up for $190, and many have said its onboard sound is really good as well as some of the other features. As for the i7, its already bought and tested along with the mobo, so not much I can do about that. As for the ram, might as well get 16 now and save myself the trouble later on when I do decide to go for it. haswell runs hot, so I went with the H100i. it was a coin toss between that and noctua nh-d14. so yeah, everythings already bought. I figured its my money, might as well right? if not I'm just buying cigarettes and booze, and this build has helped me cut back lol. and as for sli, I had already mentioned that I will. If I go 780 instead of 780 Ti, I will sli sooner. Soooooooo yeah I guess it is time to pick a best answer and close this one, eh? because now we are a little off topic. :D

Haswell doesn't run that hot. People exaggerate. Something like a 212 Evo is plenty already. 

I'd recommend getting a 780. As for the psu, a good 750w would be plenty. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss760xp

Haswell doesn't run that hot. People exaggerate. Something like a 212 Evo is plenty already. 

I'd recommend getting a 780. As for the psu, a good 750w would be plenty. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss760xp

yes! now this is some info to make me rethink my gpu situation, and maybe as well as psu. I am going to sell my 680 to a friend, so maybe going with 780 may help me after all since it is $200 cheaper than a Ti, and I am going low on funds (holidays grrr). I'm going to look more into the gpu and psu a little harder now for the next couple of days. again, thanks! :D