Help with picking msata

adams2689

Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron 15r Special Edition (7520). I am looking to upgrade the storage to an msata drive. However, I see in the owners manual that the laptop only supports up to 32gb of msata storage, however this laptop is from 2012. I am trying to find out if I can get an msata with say 250GB of storage for this laptop. Does the motherboard support more than 32GB of data and 32GB was just as big  as msata's got back then or could it support more? I would ask tech support but the service tag is gone from the laptop.

have you had a chance to open up the laptop ? can you physically see the mSata slot?
because as per this review it says your model might not even have a slot despite dell's claim

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Inspiron-15R-Special-Edition-Notebook.78323.0.html

Addendum (07.12.2012): According to the spec sheet, a mSATA-SSD can be installed, although Dell currently does not offer one as an option on their website. We were not able to locate the mSATA interface, but Dell ensured us that the interface is available and that customers are able to retrofit their laptop with a suitable SSD.

Addendum (07.13.2012): Dell clarified that the mSATA interface will only be installed should the notebook be ordered with a SSD. Installing a mSATA-SSD in the available slot is therefore not possible since the interface is missing (just like in our test sample). The above is true only for the Inspiron-series; XPS and Alienware models come with a mSATA interface.

Photography / Finance / Gaming

3 hours ago, mok said:

have you had a chance to open up the laptop ? can you physically see the mSata slot?
because as per this review it says your model might not even have a slot despite dell's claim

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Inspiron-15R-Special-Edition-Notebook.78323.0.html

Addendum (07.12.2012): According to the spec sheet, a mSATA-SSD can be installed, although Dell currently does not offer one as an option on their website. We were not able to locate the mSATA interface, but Dell ensured us that the interface is available and that customers are able to retrofit their laptop with a suitable SSD.

Addendum (07.13.2012): Dell clarified that the mSATA interface will only be installed should the notebook be ordered with a SSD. Installing a mSATA-SSD in the available slot is therefore not possible since the interface is missing (just like in our test sample). The above is true only for the Inspiron-series; XPS and Alienware models come with a mSATA interface.

We popped it open and it does not have the daughterboard that has the msata interface, however I believe some people online have said they have ordered replacement daughterboards that have the msata. I have to research if they do indeed connect the same way to the motherboad.

2 hours ago, adams2689 said:

We popped it open and it does not have the daughterboard that has the msata interface, however I believe some people online have said they have ordered replacement daughterboards that have the msata. I have to research if they do indeed connect the same way to the motherboad.

it might just be cheaper to get a 2.5inch SSD
and more convenient - deconstructing a laptop might not be so easy to put back together

and/or look into removing the CD drive and using an adapter to mount an ssd there instead

Photography / Finance / Gaming