Antec TP550

Stellar Ray

Hello!

Is Antec TP550 [Discontinued Truepower new series] an average/good/excellent PSU for gaming with gtx 1050 ti or rx 470? It has lower amperage than graphics card requirement.

And is there any Antec model with the name 'TP550 GB'?

It's OK. What other choice do you have? How much is it?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

It's about 60$ and within the price range there's NeoEco II 450W

4 hours ago, Stellar Ray said:

Hello!

Is Antec TP550 [Discontinued Truepower new series] an average/good/excellent PSU for gaming with gtx 1050 ti or rx 470? It has lower amperage than graphics card requirement.

Depends what you are talking about, wich you mean?

There are about half a dozen units witch are called True Power and havee 550W. Some of them I'd trust as far as I can throw them, 

Some others are decent some I'd rather not really use.

If it is a True Power Classic (Gold): it's OK

If it's a True Power New: Due to Age I'd safe money to replace it but use it for a month or so.

Can't you make some pictures and upload it here??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=705130&lan=nz

Antec site doesn't have GB version enlisted. They didn't use to have the NeoEco ll 450 watts listed on their main website also, till I told them about it.

Attached file is the GB, TP550GB. The description looks alike, but those site editors are highly unreliable and often mixes up info; that's why I need to verify whether TP550 & TP550GB are the same or not.

Buy Antec True Power 550GB Bronze At Best Price.jpeg

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Depends what you are talking about, wich you mean?

There are about half a dozen units witch are called True Power and havee 550W. Some of them I'd trust as far as I can throw them, 

Some others are decent some I'd rather not really use.

If it is a True Power Classic (Gold): it's OK

If it's a True Power New: Due to Age I'd safe money to replace it but use it for a month or so.

Can't you make some pictures and upload it here??

Most of the True Power range are Seasonic, Delta or Enhance. The True Power New is a perfectly good unit even though as you say it is an older model/design (Think it is based on the Seasonic M12) but either way it is made by Seasonic.

I wouldn't have any issues using one if it was the only option.

3 hours ago, Stellar Ray said:

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=705130&lan=nz

Antec site doesn't have GB version enlisted. They didn't use to have the NeoEco ll 450 watts listed on their main website also, till I told them about it.

Attached file is the GB, TP550GB. The description looks alike, but those site editors are highly unreliable and often mixes up info; that's why I need to verify whether TP550 & TP550GB are the same or not.

Buy Antec True Power 550GB Bronze At Best Price.jpeg

It will be fine to use. I think the warranty should be 5 years though.

7 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Most of the True Power range are Seasonic, Delta or Enhance.

(...)

but either way it is made by Seasonic.

Doesn't matter who made it!
What's the unit based on matters

With PSU you have one of the most even playfield in all of the industry because everyone has to use the same components from the same manufacturers. The most common control Chips are from Champion Micro and Infineon. 

That is true for every component inside a PSU. 

What I'm saying is that the manufacturer of the PSU is rather irrelevant. 
And as a conract manufacturer Seasonic is one of the worst ones...

When you go to CWT or FSP for example, they do what you want - may add a price to it, but they do it. Seasonic doesn't want to. 

10 hours ago, Stellar Ray said:

If you have the PSU you should make a couple of pictures of your unit. That's way better than some pictures on the interwebs...

That one looks like a Truepower New. It's OKish by todays standards but rather old. 

Even if it was sitting on a shelf for many years, it can still fail violently/quickly...

Because capacitors have chemical aging. If you don't use them for years, they can randomly explode...

25 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Doesn't matter who made it!
What's the unit based on matters

With PSU you have one of the most even playfield in all of the industry because everyone has to use the same components from the same manufacturers. The most common control Chips are from Champion Micro and Infineon. 

That is true for every component inside a PSU. 

What I'm saying is that the manufacturer of the PSU is rather irrelevant. 
And as a conract manufacturer Seasonic is one of the worst ones...

When you go to CWT or FSP for example, they do what you want - may add a price to it, but they do it. Seasonic doesn't want to. 

If you have the PSU you should make a couple of pictures of your unit. That's way better than some pictures on the interwebs...

That one looks like a Truepower New. It's OKish by todays standards but rather old. 

Even if it was sitting on a shelf for many years, it can still fail violently/quickly...

Because capacitors have chemical aging. If you don't use them for years, they can randomly explode...

Of course it matters who makes it. Are you saying that an oem in China who throws out $10 power supplies is going to be as good as the likes of Seasonic and Delta ? The answer to that is no.

Also it isn't one of the most even playing fields. If that were the case then there wouldn't be bad units would there ? If you look at reviews for poor quality power supplies they won't be using top notch components.

Please tell me how Seasonic are one of the worst contract manufacturers ? They only build what the other company asks for. The XFX XTR for example is based on their G series. I would take the XFX unit as it is fully modular and has hybrid fan control. It is every bit as good as the G series.

I already said that the True Power is an older design. That doesn't mean it is bad. Also the aging thing on capacitors is not even worth mentioning. A good quality capacitor will easily last 10 years or more.

3 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Of course it matters who makes it. Are you saying that an oem in China who throws out $10 power supplies is going to be as good as the likes of Seasonic and Delta ? 

Depends on how good the factory is, if they have the faciltys and especially if you pay them for it!!

Forgot the Xilence XQ?!

That one was rather good - and made by Solytech. A company known for rather budget PSUs (not utter garbage, but still not worth buying).

Also the Vivo Jonnyguru reviewed a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=506

Made by Sama

That should be proof enough that the manufacturer of the matters less than you think. And the one who orders the PSU and what they want is much more important.

And that rather unknown manufacturers are able to make some real good things...

Also it isn't one of the most even playing fields. If that were the case then there wouldn't be bad units would there ? If you look at reviews for poor quality power supplies they won't be using top notch components.

You don't seem to have much knowledge about that field...

There are bad units because System Integrators want that shit. They want the cheapest Power Supply they can find. And with as little MTBF as possible.
The rest is due to different market segments And Product Managers who don't really know enough about power Supplys to make good units.

It is as level as it gets!
All you need is the knowledge you need and money/a market...

Please tell me how Seasonic are one of the worst contract manufacturers ?

You can only have what they do. If you don't want it, your Problem.

The most they do is make a new modular PCB. That's all.

Ever wonder why Corsair and Cooler Master don't do anything with Seasonic anymore??

That's the reason.

IF you go to CWT, FSP, HEC they do whatever you want, however you want. Might attach a pricetag or a (rather high) MOQ to it, but they will do it.

Seasonic won't.

I already said that the True Power is an older design. That doesn't mean it is bad. Also the aging thing on capacitors is not even worth mentioning. A good quality capacitor will easily last 10 years or more.

Yes that makes them bad for modern components.

Because the way modern components consume power is very different from 10 Years ago.

10 Years ago it was more constant than it is today.

Today it looks like that:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-390x-r9-380-r7-370,4178-9.html

Very high frequency, due to 'race to idle' settings with modern components.

Also every manufacturer specifies a shelf life (though at high temperature, not Room Temperature). And they say that they can be used, but may have to be reformed!!

Do you see the "Department of Defense" as a reliable source?

MIL-STD-1131

They specify 6 Years with with 35/40°C and 60/50% humidity. Or 3 Years from last inspection.

And every PSU you can buy is 'used' -> Burn In Test in the Factory...

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Depends on how good the factory is, if they have the faciltys and especially if you pay them for it!!

Forgot the Xilence XQ?!

That one was rather good - and made by Solytech. A company known for rather budget PSUs (not utter garbage, but still not worth buying).

Also the Vivo Jonnyguru reviewed a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=506

Made by Sama

That should be proof enough that the manufacturer of the matters less than you think. And the one who orders the PSU and what they want is much more important.

And that rather unknown manufacturers are able to make some real good things...

You don't seem to have much knowledge about that field...

There are bad units because System Integrators want that shit. They want the cheapest Power Supply they can find. And with as little MTBF as possible.
The rest is due to different market segments And Product Managers who don't really know enough about power Supplys to make good units.

It is as level as it gets!
All you need is the knowledge you need and money/a market...

You can only have what they do. If you don't want it, your Problem.

The most they do is make a new modular PCB. That's all.

Ever wonder why Corsair and Cooler Master don't do anything with Seasonic anymore??

That's the reason.

IF you go to CWT, FSP, HEC they do whatever you want, however you want. Might attach a pricetag or a (rather high) MOQ to it, but they will do it.

Seasonic won't.

Yes that makes them bad for modern components.

Because the way modern components consume power is very different from 10 Years ago.

10 Years ago it was more constant than it is today.

Today it looks like that:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-390x-r9-380-r7-370,4178-9.html

Very high frequency, due to 'race to idle' settings with modern components.

Also every manufacturer specifies a shelf life (though at high temperature, not Room Temperature). And they say that they can be used, but may have to be reformed!!

Do you see the "Department of Defense" as a reliable source?

MIL-STD-1131

They specify 6 Years with with 35/40°C and 60/50% humidity. Or 3 Years from last inspection.

And every PSU you can buy is 'used' -> Burn In Test in the Factory...

You are twisting what I said. Would you feel confident buying a psu from a low end oem without seeing a review first ? Then ask yourself the same question but with Seasonic, Delta or SuperFlower as the oem.

Of course some lower end oem's are capable of producing good units, but it can be hit and miss. So yes the oem does matter.

Again you are twisting my reply. You said that all oem's have to use the same components. Look inside one of those gutless wonders that Jonnyguru reviewed in the past. I don't see the same quality components that high end units have. Maybe I am misinterpreting what you said but that is how I see it.

Seasonic will alter a psu to suit a 3rd party. The XFX XTR is based on the G series but it has a fully modular cable system, hybrid fan mode and a different fan.

I would say the reason why Corsair don't use Seasonic anymore is due to cost. Seasonic are an expensive oem.

Still not buying your capacitor won't last thing. Good quality caps from the likes of Rubycon or Nippon Chemi con are going to easily last the lifetime of a pc. Sure you might get failures now and again but it is the exception rather than the rule. Also not sure what something from 10 years ago has to do with current tech.

I am done with this discussion. It isn't fair to turn the op's thread into an argument.

6 hours ago, lee32uk said:

You are twisting what I said. Would you feel confident buying a psu from a low end oem without seeing a review first ? Then ask yourself the same question but with Seasonic, Delta or SuperFlower as the oem.

Of course some lower end oem's are capable of producing good units, but it can be hit and miss. So yes the oem does matter.

That's true for all OEMs. There was a series from FSP that failed due to some faulty components...

Enermax has used conductive glue that lead to exploding primary caps and other failures over time. 

So that's not really an argument...
I thought we were talking about facts and not faith...

Again you are twisting my reply. You said that all oem's have to use the same components. Look inside one of those gutless wonders that Jonnyguru reviewed in the past. I don't see the same quality components that high end units have. Maybe I am misinterpreting what you said but that is how I see it.

Oh dear...

What are you talking about? You are proving my point!

Those gutles wonders use standard/off the shelf components as any other PSU does too.

BUT those units use either used components or whatever they can get their hands on cheaply. It doesn't matter at all.

Seasonic will alter a psu to suit a 3rd party. The XFX XTR is based on the G series but it has a fully modular cable system, hybrid fan mode and a different fan.

Corsair RM650i, RM650x, Enermax Revolution X't, X't II, Bitfenix Whisper M.

Are all three made by CWT

Especially Revolution X't II and Bitfenix Whisper M are particuarly similar. But there also are huge differences on the secondary side.

And did you read what I've written? I said that they will make you a different modular PCB - maybe fan curve but no more than that.

While with CWT they will modify the plattform to your needs, Seasonic does not do that.

All G-Series units are basically the same - maybe different PCB color but that's about it.

While with other manufacturers you see much more differences. Just take a look at the earlier EVGA Bronze units and compare them with be quiet Pure Power L8. They look similar but there are also big differences.

Or take a look at the Seasonic made Dark Power Pro P10 (850-1200W) - they were pretty much identical...

I would say the reason why Corsair don't use Seasonic anymore is due to cost. Seasonic are an expensive oem.

And Seasonic has an own end user brand that they focus so they don't have an interest to do something for others....

Still not buying your capacitor won't last thing. Good quality caps from the likes of Rubycon or Nippon Chemi con are going to easily last the lifetime of a pc. Sure you might get failures now and again but it is the exception rather than the rule. Also not sure what something from 10 years ago has to do with current tech.

And why are you so focused on the manufacturer and not the series??

It's not like othes don't have long life series...

ANd how long a cap last depends on how it's used, the temperature and ripple current it has to endure. Just because someone uses 125°C caps, doesn't mean it will last a lifetime because we don't know how it's used, about the ripple current an so on...

And that's why more and more companys use "japanese Capacitors" as a Marketing Instrument...

And have you forgotten the Ultra Low ESR caps from japanese manufacturers? The ones that regularly fail throught every manufacturer?? Doesn't matter if it's Panasonic, Nichicon or Nippon Chemicon. For example in an iMac G5, there is a whole battery of Rubycon, Nichicon or Nippon Chemicon capacitors - and there are many pictures on the interwebs wich show them all fail...

So those are bad manufacturers because they fail regualarly in this device??

You are saying the antec TP550 is Ok and to replace it. To say the least it is unsettling. 

Antec TP550 is an old version. Somewhere it is said that this is an excellent model, based on m12d platform.

Is it better choice to buy more recent version Antec NewEco II 450/550w, or bet on the TP550?

Still don't know if there's any difference between TP550 & TP550GB...