Laptop for Virtualization / Some Gaming

Hi guys,

I'm a little overwhelmed right now as I have to get a laptop asap and don't exactly know my hardware requirements..

What I need is a very portable notebook that is capable of handling multiple VMs at the same time (like 3 to 4) while also being able to perform some light to medium gaming every now and then.

I'm a little confused as to what processor and how much RAM to look for. Is an i5-7200U or i7-7500U (ULV models) a viable choice or should I aim for an i7-7700HQ quad core processor?

Same goes for the RAM: Are 8 GB of RAM sufficient or should I opt for 16GB or even 32GB?

For the sake of determining how intensive the VMs are on CPU/RAM, a list of my primary VM setup: Windows 10 / Ubuntu host, 1x Kali Linux Guest, 1x Network-Monitoring VM, 1-2 Vulnerable Images while having 30+ tabs opened in my host's browser.

I'd also like to be able to play some lesser demanding games like Overwatch every now and then, even though they don't have to run in 4K/Ultra... Working shall be the main purpose for this machine.

My budget is somewhere at 1.5k€, however I'd also spend up to 2k€  if it's worth it.

Can anyone suggest a notebook that would suit my needs or at least tell me what processor and amount of RAM I should go for?

Thanks in advance,

0cta

1 minute ago, 0cta said:

Hi guys,

I'm a little overwhelmed right now as I have to get a laptop asap and don't exactly know my hardware requirements..

What I need is a very portable notebook that is capable of handling multiple VMs at the same time (like 3 to 4) while also being able to perform some light to medium gaming every now and then.

I'm a little confused as to what processor and how much RAM to look for. Is an i5-7200U or i7-7500U (ULV models) a viable choice or should I aim for an i7-7700HQ quad core processor?

Same goes for the RAM: Are 8 GB of RAM sufficient or should I opt for 16GB or even 32GB?

For the sake of determining how intensive the VMs are on CPU/RAM, a list of my primary VM setup: Windows 10 / Ubuntu host, 1x Kali Linux Guest, 1x Network-Monitoring VM, 1-2 Vulnerable Images while having 30+ tabs opened in my host's browser.

I'd also like to be able to play some lesser demanding games like Overwatch every now and then, even though they don't have to run in 4K/Ultra... Working shall be the main purpose for this machine.

My budget is somewhere at 1.5k€, however I'd also spend up to 2k€  if it's worth it.

Can anyone suggest a notebook that would suit my needs or at least tell me what processor and amount of RAM I should go for?

Thanks in advance,

0cta

go for as much cores as you can find, in terms of RAM 16GB should do you just fine

Kali can quickly use 8gb+ of ram on it's own if you're using vulnerability databases.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

I'd go for an i7 and as much RAM as you can get. If you could scoop up a Ryzen laptop (are they out yet?) that'd be even better. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

HQ CPU and 16GB RAM
Dell XPS 15 or Lenovo Yoga 720 15 inch or (maybe) other gaming laptops?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Hey guys,

thanks for all those replies!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any Ryzen-powered laptops so far, so I'll go for an i7-7700HQ and (at least) 16 GiBs of RAM

I'm currently thinking about the Dell XPS 15, Lenovo Yoga 720 15" or a MacBook Pro 15-inch mid-2017...

As this is more of a preference I'd mark that thread /closed, thanks :)