What do i need to increase in-game fps performance during multi-tasking

Hi

So basically I want to be able to watch a twitch stream whilst playing cs:go without having such a dramatic fps drop, i use a 144hz monitor so need to be realistically playing at around 165fps constantly. I will get around 220-230 when just playing cs and using discord. However when I want to watch a twitch stream or youtube video while playing a game by fps drops completely.

I currently have a:

i5 4690

8gb ddr3 ram

Zotac amp 4gb gtx 960

and I was wondering which of these would need to be upgraded in order to gain the performance I need.

Thanks

Just now, NoobCase said:

A 4790k or the non k variant should do the trick. 

Alternatively you could go ryzen but that means new CPU/mobo/ram

damn :(, i was hoping it didn't have to be the cpu 

For streaming and multitasking you want a CPU with more cores (like Ryzen 5 6-core or Ryzen 7 or i7 6 or 8 core), even a hyperthreaded 4 core (like a 4 core i7) will do better than an i5. However, a Ryzen (6 or 8 core) will likely do better with multitaking and streaming while gaming than something like an i7-6700k or 7700k, but you will get slightly lower framerates due to lower IPC with a 6 or 8core vs a 4c/8t. You have to decide which is more important to you. Having said that even the Ryzen 5 should have no problem getting over 165hz on CS:GO and you would experience less framedrops or performance loss with an R5 or R7 while streaming/multitasking than with an i7 4c/8t.

Basically I would recommend an R5 or R7 and give up a little bit of gaming performance for better streaming/multitasking performance.

If you don't want to upgrade the mobo and RAM then an i7-4790k would be an improvement and you can still use the same mobo/RAM.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Just now, Ben4wolves said:

damn :(, i was hoping it didn't have to be the cpu 

Well what is your cpu usage while playing and watching youtube?

Just now, pyrojoe34 said:

For streaming and multitasking you want a CPU with more cores (like Ryzen 5 6-core or Ryzen 7 or i7 6 or 8 core), even a hyperthreaded 4 core (like a 4 core i7) will do better than an i5. However, a Ryzen (6 or 8 core) will likely do better with multitaking and streaming while gaming than something like an i7-6700k or 7700k, but you will get slightly lower framerates due to lower IPC with a 6 or 8core vs a 4c/8t. You have to decide which is more important to you. Having said that even the Ryzen 5 should have no problem getting over 165hz on CS:GO and you would experience less framedrops or performance loss with an R5 or R7 while streaming/multitasking than with an i7 4c/8t.

Basically I would recommend an R5 or R7 and give up a little bit of gaming performance for better streaming/multitasking performance.

He has a 4th Gen locked i5. He won't see performance loss in games compared to an overclocked r5 1600 which is what I would get if they do want to go the am4 route. That being said buying a 4th Gen i7 seems like the cheapest solution.

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well what is your cpu usage while playing and watching youtube?

around 80% on both cpu and memory but only getting 120fps

2 minutes ago, Ben4wolves said:

around 80% on both cpu and memory but only getting 120fps

What was it while just gaming?

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

He has a 4th Gen locked i5. He won't see performance loss in games compared to an overclocked r5 1600 which is what I would get if they do want to go the am4 route. That being said buying a 4th Gen i7 seems like the cheapest solution.

Good point, the 4th gen Intel IPC is about on par with Ryzen IPC so single core performance will be about the same. Looks like gaming benchmarks are almost identical except in multithreaded games like BF1 where R5 beats the 4690k (which if he has the locked i5 then R5 will probably beat it 90% of the time in almost any game).

If he wants to spend the least amount though than I agree, an i7-4790k would be his best bet.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

What was it while just gaming?

the strange thing is if i turn off youtube my csgo cpu usage goes up to around 50-60%, but if turn youtube on it goes down to around 30-40% even though im still only using 80%

You can try using "set affinity" and/or setting a priority for the more important and less important task so something important is never disrupted by something unimportant.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ben4wolves said:

the strange thing is if i turn off youtube my csgo cpu usage goes up to around 50-60%, but if turn youtube on it goes down to around 30-40% even though im still only using 80%

What is your gpu usage at? It is probably the cpu and how it's allocated to the cores. You may want to look at per core usage.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You can try using "set affinity" and/or setting a priority for the more important task so it is never pushed aside by something else intense.

how would i go about that?

how would i go about that?

in task manager... set the important thing as high priority, the others as low priority, and even restrict the less important things to certain cores using set affinity

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

More cores and or more threads on your CPU. A core i5 only has 4 threads to work with so everything must fit down 4 streams of data. That included game engine, background programs, streams etc etc.

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

What is your gpu usage at? It is probably the cpu and how it's allocated to the cores. You may want to look at per core usage.

gpu is at 100% and allocated pretty much equally between each core

2 minutes ago, Ben4wolves said:

gpu is at 100% and allocated pretty much equally between each core

My strategy will work for balancing the load assuming your CPU is sufficient, but if it's not, there is no other option but to upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My strategy will work for balancing the load assuming your CPU is sufficient, but if it's not, there is no other option but to upgrade.

i right click on csgo in task manager but see no option to set priority :/

i right click on csgo in task manager but see no option to set priority :/

Well it's there, maybe your'e using the dumbed down view?  Click "more details" and go to the "details" tab

i was looking within the processes tab, my bad, ive changed it now. 

Thank you for your help

Simple fact is you will need more cores to handle the workload, that's either a intel or AMD cpu, depends on your budget to upgrade ? 

Intel upgrade = cpu, amd = cpu, mbo and ram 

Me, I would just get a better intel cpu, cpu depends on what bored u have 

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8