4K GPU for Gaming

knowlesy

Hi all,

I want to upgrade my GPU to 4K gaming, I am looking for the best card now or coming as i plan to upgrade in the next 3 months. I have some ideas but would like to get some input.

Wrong time to ask this question if you're upgrading in three months. Right now the answer would be 1080 ti but with vega coming soon, it's pointless to make a decision now.

1 minute ago, MkaiL said:

Wrong time to ask this question if you're upgrading in three months. Right now the answer would be 1080 ti but with vega coming soon, it's pointless to make a decision now.

Clarification, RX Vega.  The 1080Ti will rock your 4k, but it would be good to wait until prices stabilize after the mining craze dies a bit, as well as after RX Vega debuts and you can see if it may be better for you.

yeah I have thought on VEGA but I am not sold, not enough information or date to make me wait till TBD 

4 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

1 minute ago, knowlesy said:

yeah I have thought on VEGA but I am not sold, not enough information or date to make me wait till TBD 

You just said you're upgrading after 3 months? By then the rx vega cards will already be launched and that's when you should decide which gpu to get.

if I was to go for a 1080TI, what is the best version for ultra settings?

1 minute ago, knowlesy said:

It hardly matters. All will perform roughly the same.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

You just said you're upgrading after 3 months? By then the rx vega cards will already be launched and that's when you should decide which gpu to get.

When is rx vega being released? SIGGRAPH is going to reveal but you cant pre-order right now so one would assume that release date would be early to mid 2018 

32 minutes ago, knowlesy said:

any can do. only but a blower design card when you use an itx case. otherwise go for open coolers, way more silent

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

3 hours ago, knowlesy said:

When is rx vega being released? SIGGRAPH is going to reveal but you cant pre-order right now so one would assume that release date would be early to mid 2018 

No that is not what one should assume. I would guess that it would be in stock (not like just tiny amounts) at most places in about a month, but that's only an educated guess that can easily be wrong.

But they are going to be in stock in the next 3 months for sure.

i5 6500 @3.2Ghz, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini, 16GB DDR4 @2400Mhz, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Corsair Vengance 650W, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Thermaltake Versa U21, Hyper 103

AOC Agon AG271UG 27" 4k G-Sync, G933, G502, G801

7 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

any can do. only but a blower design card when you use an itx case. otherwise go for open coolers, way more silent

thats really helpful I had not even considered the difference as I have never owned a rear blower

35 minutes ago, knowlesy said:

siggraph is tomorrow, can you wait a day or two?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

siggraph is tomorrow, can you wait a day or two?

hahaha yeah true

On 29-7-2017 at 1:05 PM, knowlesy said:

They just announced that the cards will start shipping on August 14th. But they seem to compete with the 1080 so the 1080ti is probably still the better choice for 4k.