Shout out to CableMod customer service for being awesome...ASUS not so much

r.perez

Recently been working on an upgrade to my PC that involved moving into a Case Labs case from a Phanteks case. As the former had integrated lighting and the CaseLabs did not, I decided to pickup a lighting kit and a few add-ons from Cable Mod. Within 3 days of buying and installing the kit, the remote (or the receiver, not sure) stopped working and I could no longer change colors, switch between UV/RGB or turn the lighting on and off. I emailed Cable Mod customer service and within only a few hours I had an apologetic email and a promise that a replacement would be sent my way immediately. The next day I had a shipping confirmation! Now that is amazing customer service. 

Now on to ASUS. 

On 7/22/2016, I purchased an ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula, a nearly $400 motherboard (was $389.99 but paid $359 with Micro Centers $30 bundle discount). I got it all installed (with a full custom loop), took the plastic cover off the m.2 shroud, and discovered that the m.2 screw was not pre-installed. I checked the box and there was nothing but an installation bracket for the precarious 2nd, vertical m.2 slot. I thought, no problem, I'll take an m.2 screw off my old EVGA Classified K Z170 board, no dice. Apparently, the threads for the m.2 slot are recessed on the board and you need a special standoff to install the drive. 

I registered my board and purchase information and then proceeded to contact customer service to see about a replacement standoff and screw for the m.2 slot. 3 days emailing back and forth with a customer service rep and I am nowhere near a resolution. We are talking about a $.30 screw and standoff here, and yet I am having to jump through copious hoops and replies with the customer service rep telling me they need to contact another department and will get back to me. Meanwhile, without hesitation, Cable Mod shipped me right over a replacement lighting kit. 

Asus 0, CableMod 1 

The saga continues...

Lian Li O11  Dynamic XL  | Ryzen 9 5900X (on pre-order) | ASUS ROG Strix X570 E | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 64GB (4x16GB)| ADATA SX8 M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD| Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD| EVGA HX 850W | EK D5 PWM Pump | EK Quantum Distro Plate | EK Lignum CPU Block | Manjaro Gnome Edition

Personal Website

Asus rma is pretty sketchy.   I had to rma a 280x twice.....   However I must say it was a used craigslist purchase that I only had a week before a fan started to make noise.    So they get points for that right off the bat!  lol    The card they sent me had bad memory so I started another rma right away, and after about 5 weeks of waiting I ended up with a new sealed strix 380x!(first rma took 1 week)