Amd or Nvidia (what should it buy?)

idan302

Hello,

I know it's an "exciting time to be a hammer" with all the ryzen CPUs out vs the Intel and the amd new cards that's are gonna be out soon.. any way

I want to upgrade my PC with a new you but I'm not sure what you u should buy so I'm got straight to here.

My specs

Monitor - Benq RL2455HM (1920X1080) 60hz

Gpu - and r9 390

Cpu - i7 4790

Power supply - Corsair vss 550watt

Ram - 16 GB

SSD - 120 GB

HDD - 1TB

I'm gonna be for a vacation soon so u can get the cards without taxes,

I am not sure if to wait for the amd new cards and buy it or buy an Nvidia GeForce gtx 1070, i want to get.a gpu that will worth the money and won't waste soooo much only on a gpu. 

Ty for helping!

Personally, Vega rocked none of my worlds nor did it shake any milk. 1070 gets my vote.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Personally, Vega rocked none of my worlds nor did it shake any milk. 1070 gets my vote.

Never heard those sayings before but I agree with your choice. I have also heard rumours that FE performance is very close to RX performance :/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Never being a fan of wasting so much money (Nvidia high cost gpu) but is it worth it? The cooling solution(amd 390 getting high like 80C degrees)  and how much time the card will survive untill i switch it 

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Never heard those sayings before but I agree with your choice. I have also heard rumours that FE performance is very close to RX performance :/

I think those sayings are from the 80's, so nobody wants to hear them again. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

But the amd FE like Linus sad isn't for gaming it is for rendering videos and workload stuff

Just now, idan302 said:

The cooling solution(amd 390 getting high like 80C degrees)  and how much time the card will survive untill i switch it 

It used to be that green X70 and X80 cards would last two generations without needing to lower settings for above 60Hz and this should hold true for Pascal as well. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Id wait it out. No point in buying something and then finding out another product was better and you lost out because you bought earlier (That is IF it's better)

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

2 minutes ago, idan302 said:

But the amd FE like Linus sad isn't for gaming it is for rendering videos and workload stuff

RX Vega came out and has been benched by a few people. The performance is very close to the Frontier Edition, so unless AMD pulls out a driver out of their hat, or you're willing to wait for the "driver" improvements, don't expect much. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

It used to be that green X70 and X80 cards would last two generations without needing to lower settings for above 60Hz and this should hold true for Pascal as well. 

Do you think with Nvidia 1070 i can ultra, epic, insane any game that is wish for on a 1080p monitor with the specs i have? (Battlefield 1, battleground, arma 3, rainbow six siege ,maple story)

Wait for VEGA!

It will make some prices change on the green side of things ;)

and maybe it will perform well and be cheap. Its a few weeks around the corner... WAIIIIT!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 minute ago, idan302 said:

Do you think with Nvidia 1070 i can ultra, epic, insane any game that is wish for on a 1080p monitor with the specs i have? (Battlefield 1, battleground, arma 3, rainbow six siege ,maple story)

yep!

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

RX Vega came out and has been benched by a few people. The performance is very close to the Frontier Edition, so unless AMD pulls out a driver out of their hat, or you're willing to wait for the "driver" improvements, don't expect much. 

Ain't gonna wait for a driver improvement because it can't change much in performance...

Just now, idan302 said:

Ain't gonna wait for a driver improvement because it can't change much in performance...

It can AMD is known for steady improvements for the driver! I am still rocking 2x290s and there fine in every game i wanna play and max out at 1080p.

For example in BF3 i am now getting a ~20% improvement compared to when i had my cards new

3 minutes ago, idan302 said:

All of those. Maplestory? What?! The 1070 should hold its water for a few years considering that the 780 and Ti started to need lower settings last year, but the 1070 has higher VRAM which is what crippled the 780 and Ti.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

It can AMD is known for steady improvements for the driver! I am still rocking 2x290s and there fine in every game i wanna play and max out at 1080p.

For example in BF3 i am now getting a ~20% improvement compared to when i had my cards new

But why you need 2 Rx 290 to rock maxed out 1080p, i am guessing it uses more power than 1 Nvidia gpu 1070 that can overkill it... (I don't really know it's only my guesses) than i will need to buy a new power supply.

Just now, idan302 said:

But why you need 2 Rx 290 to rock maxed out 1080p, i am guessing it uses more power than 1 Nvidia gpu 1070 that can overkill it... (I don't really know it's only my guesses) than i will need to buy a new power supply.

You're completely right! I will soon upgrade to (maybe/i hope) Vega.

My point was not to recommend anyone running this configuration, but to prove the nice driver support from AMD

All of those. Maplestory? What?! The 1070 should hold its water for a few years considering that the 780 and Ti started to need lower settings last year, but the 1070 has higher VRAM which is what crippled the 780 and Ti.

Yeah maple story is a joke.. gonna max maple story on 1080P 20000 fps no problem

I used to have an Nvidia gtx 560... Something like i don't really remember, it survive like 3-4 years but that's because the graphics were terrible and there no problem running any game, so the time it's take to upgrade your gpu to max out a game graphics it's getting shorter.

Just now, idan302 said:

Yeah maple story is a joke.. gonna max maple story on 1080P 20000 fps no problem

I used to have an Nvidia gtx 560... Something like i don't really remember, it survive like 3-4 years but that's because the graphics were terrible and there no problem running any game, so the time it's take to upgrade your gpu to max out a game graphics it's getting shorter.

Definitely getting shorter, but we are being given stronger cores and more VRAM this time around which should hopefully keep the "status quo" (if status quo applies here). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Definitely getting shorter, but we are being given stronger cores and more VRAM this time around which should hopefully keep the "status quo" (if status quo applies here). 

Are you sure? My amd r9 390 MSI has 8 VRAM amd i hoped it will last long but even when i bought(1½ year ago) a card with 8VRAM his speeds are soooo slow.. like 1040 MHz(no overclocking because my PC will explode) (rocking the stock Intel i7 4790 cooler)

Even if AMD had cards in stock right now, they wouldn't be any real upgrade over what you have. MAYBE, you can try looking at a 390X if you want to stay with AMD but I would suggest a bit bigger PSU to go with it.

I would honestly recommend consider a 1070 or even a 1080. You can try waiting for Vega but I'm not expecting them to be game changers, though there is a chance that they could bring the price of Nvidia cards down a bit. If you don't feel like waiting then go for the 1070 for sure, maybe consider the 1080.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On 7/28/2017 at 3:52 AM, DragonTamer1 said:

Even if AMD had cards in stock right now, they wouldn't be any real upgrade over what you have. MAYBE, you can try looking at a 390X if you want to stay with AMD but I would suggest a bit bigger PSU to go with it.

I would honestly recommend consider a 1070 or even a 1080. You can try waiting for Vega but I'm not expecting them to be game changers, though there is a chance that they could bring the price of Nvidia cards down a bit. If you don't feel like waiting then go for the 1070 for sure, maybe consider the 1080.

On 7/28/2017 at 3:32 AM, ARikozuM said:

On 7/28/2017 at 3:29 AM, Metallus97 said:

You're completely right! I will soon upgrade to (maybe/i hope) Vega.

My point was not to recommend anyone running this configuration, but to prove the nice driver support from AMD

On 7/28/2017 at 3:15 AM, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

Id wait it out. No point in buying something and then finding out another product was better and you lost out because you bought earlier (That is IF it's better)

On 7/28/2017 at 3:10 AM, spacehamster said:

dude get 1070

On 7/28/2017 at 3:08 AM, GER_T4IGA said:

Finely, just bought the Nvidia 1080 EVGA SuperOverClocked ACX 3.0, bought the last one in the cheapest i could get (650$). I would buy the 1070 but it was 30$ less if i could buy them with no taxes (I'm on a vacation) i would buy the 1080. So ty all for helping me decide i will install it on my PC in a week, if any of you wanna get results or idk how it is performancing you are welcome to ask!