Used PC for NAS

Noyu

What's like the minimum specs for building a PC for a DIY NAS?

Are there even minimum specs?

I'm currently looking into an old USED pc for 20$.

i3-550, 512MB RAM

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

CPU is fine, but I'd add some more ram. 4Gb is pretty much a minimum.

For $20 I'd say go for it

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Through remember, your going to want a moderately fast network for fast data access and HDD's are not exactly extremely cheap, depending on what your going to use, but WD RED series and Seagate's Enterprise disks are good options. And you will also need a case to house all this in.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

29 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

4Gb is pretty much a minimum.

Noted on this.

24 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Through remember, your going to want a moderately fast network for fast data access and HDD's are not exactly extremely cheap, depending on what your going to use, but WD RED series and Seagate's Enterprise disks are good options. And you will also need a case to house all this in.

Yep yep I've considered all of those EXCEPT the actual NAS enclosure. hahaha

Wired network will be gigabit and the WiFi will be AC1200.

Actually my main purpose for the NAS is a file server for media (not a media server). I would also like it to download torrents to itself. So it seems used PC and DIY is my best choice.

Only con with using a used PC is the power consumption and the footprint.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

5 minutes ago, Noyu said:

Noted on this.

Yep yep I've considered all of those EXCEPT the actual NAS enclosure. hahaha

Wired network will be gigabit and the WiFi will be AC1200.

Actually my main purpose for the NAS is a file server for media (not a media server). I would also like it to download torrents to itself. So it seems used PC and DIY is my best choice.

Only con with using a used PC is the power consumption and the footprint.

If you have limitless budget for a small NAS, the netgear ready NAS 312 line up are very good, they can do torrents etc, and have small footprint. Only downside to them is the cost.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

1 minute ago, unknownmiscreant said:

If you have limitless budget for a small NAS, the netgear ready NAS 312 line up are very good, they can do torrents etc, and have small footprint. Only downside to them is the cost.

that's the thing, I don't have a limitless budget. I don't even have a budget tbh. I'm just trying to find the cheapest solution possible.

I'm still considering the option to just plug my eHD to the router USB port and use the router's OS to make it into a NAS.. Sadly I think this will present problems in the future.

Karamo

Spoiler

depends on how "nas" you want it to be. you can chuck a hard drive in almost anything and expect it to work, but things like software raid or ZFS are a bit more taxing on the system.

8 minutes ago, Noyu said:

that's the thing, I don't have a limitless budget. I don't even have a budget tbh. I'm just trying to find the cheapest solution possible.

I'm still considering the option to just plug my eHD to the router USB port and use the router's OS to make it into a NAS.. Sadly I think this will present problems in the future.

Yeah, I totally understand your budget, it was just a suggestion, as you said you were concerned about form factor, and running costs. Those were the main reasons I went for the netgear unit for my company, and also as I needed an easy, low maintenance solution.

Running costs, risk of theft etc, are all things to be considered when running a server, and having a small, low power dedicated unit running in a cupboard somewhere has way lower risk of theft than a desktop out in a room somewhere.

At no costs would I recommend just plugging a USB HDD into a router. I've done that before and a dedicated piece of hardware is significantly better.

If you wanna go real cheap, you could look for something like an old WD prebuilt nas with a dead hard drive. I recently had a HDD die in the WD my book I have at home and upon purchasing a replacement it took about 12hours to rebuild the raid 1 array, and after that its good to go. If you can find a used unit being sold by a non-techie whose had a disk fail in a raid 0 array, and doesn't know how to replace the drive, you could get one real cheap.

Although going for a dedicated machine might be the best way to go, as I have a old core 2 duo machine that would be up to running as a server if I bought it a raid card. (PCI raid cards for older machines are real cheap now.) That i3 system you've found with a dedicated raid card, gigabit network card, more ram, decent case and some new drives (possibly even an evga 400w ish psu) would make a solid server.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s