XDA, DSA, SA

TenzoNakami

I want to step right into keyboard modding, when I found out there are 3 type of keycaps being sold, which is XDA, DSA and SA. I am quite surprised to the fact that no one ever explained the difference between the three except for it's height. I want to know if my keyboard could utilize which and what keycaps.

My keyboard is the K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE, which do have the Cherry MX switch (obviously.) and I am looking for some nice PBT keycaps. Which one should I buy? I was drooooling over the XDA Sakura Keycaps which is so nice.

I've also done a few research on TaiHao keycaps but some people suggest me not to because they said the K70 has some weird size for it's bottom row (I do not know what does this mean).

Anyone could help shining some light on me? I am lost in this world.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

Means your bottom row is non standard, and the Standard XDA,DSA, SA kits will not work.

Image result for corsair non standard bottom row

this is corsair's

keycap_layout.jpg

everyone elses

IIRC the only whole keyset that works with the k70 is the 126 Key Double Shot PBT Keycap Set from Vortex

Also how exactly are you going to get your hands on XDA Sakura's if the group buy is over. r/mechmart exists but idk.

me6msL5.jpg

SA R1, R2, R3, R4, DSA PBT, and XDA.

sizes

There are a lot more keycap profiles than just XDA, DSA and SA. See below. There is also G20, Tai Hao Cubic and I'm sure some more that I missed.

kFxqOm8.jpg

A standard bottom row compatible with aftermarket keysets has keysizes like: 

1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 6.25 |1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25