CPU Cooler Clearance

WolfHunter

Hey guys I'm building a PC with the NZXT 340 Elite in White and using the Enermax ETS-T40F-W in my case. There is only 1mm of clearance, is that cutting it too close? 

2 minutes ago, WolfHunter said:

Hey guys I'm building a PC with the NZXT 340 Elite in White and using the Enermax ETS-T40F-W in my case. There is only 1mm of clearance, is that cutting it too close? 

I'm using the noctua NHD15 in my define s. I will say that mine has soft sound dampening which is why i feel okay about it, but mine is just baaarely pressing up against my side panel when its closed, slight pressure on the socket, but its no cause for worry. If there is clearance, you SHOULD be fine, as long as it clears it 

Moist

Why should be a 1mm gap to close? As long as there is a gap even if only 0.1 mm your fine because it does not put pressure on the mobo

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Spoiler

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

For reference, this is what 1-2mm clearance looks like. Doesn't affect temps at all. May scratch windows if made from plexiglass.

And fan did fit inside too. That case had place for 200mm side fan and grill did leave some more space for it. NZXT Hades and Noctua U14S.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/25/2017 at 2:33 AM, WolfHunter said:

I'm assuming you're going by the listed CPU Cooler Clearance on the case specs, and comparing that to the cpu cooler height listed on the box.  

One thing to bear in mind is that the distance from the cpu heatshield surface to the case side is going to vary by socket, as well as by what length of motherboard stand off screws you use.  

I don't know exactly how case manufacturers decide on what to list as the "official" Cpu cooler height, but I'm guessing they tend to go off of what is the most common hardware out there right now, and what max height will that give you.  You can find plenty of stories online of people who have old hardware and move it to new cases and coolers, only to find that cpu cooler is too tall, even though by the official specs it should fit.

22 hours ago, JacobFW said:

I'm assuming you're going by the listed CPU Cooler Clearance on the case specs, and comparing that to the cpu cooler height listed on the box.  

One thing to bear in mind is that the distance from the cpu heatshield surface to the case side is going to vary by socket, as well as by what length of motherboard stand off screws you use.  

I don't know exactly how case manufacturers decide on what to list as the "official" Cpu cooler height, but I'm guessing they tend to go off of what is the most common hardware out there right now, and what max height will that give you.  You can find plenty of stories online of people who have old hardware and move it to new cases and coolers, only to find that cpu cooler is too tall, even though by the official specs it should fit.

Manufacturing tolerance for standoffs will be under 1mm and screwing mobo tight (PCB has some flex) will cover that. The tolerance with case is the thing to look more. I was supposed to have 3-4mm free, and Noctua has highest manufacturing standards, so I know its case tolerance side. But that shouldn't matter much either. There are plenty people who have top of pipes touching both metal and plexy/tempered glass sidepanels and are just fine with those.

Some case manufacturers (namely Corsair) give few mm extra. So cases listing clearance with 157mm can fit 212 Evo with 159mm.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv