MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X and a Corsair H Series

Hello Everyone,

My first post here and it's because I normally can come up with solutions on my own fairly well but this time around I am curious to see what a community will think. I have a MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 TI and want to water cool it. Problem is it seems to be a customer PCB and I don't want to cook the VRAM without some kind of direct cooling. Corsair seems to have teamed up with MSI for a customer water blocked Founders Edition.. But even on Air Cooling my card is faster when over clocked. So I'd like to just do it myself. It appears they are using a H55 or H90 for their build with the FE frame around it. Probably for cooling ram. Now good news for me is that my card extends out to just in front of my Push case fans blowing air into my case. I can put the waterblock in my Pull fan position and have it blow air out still, even through the radiator. But what would you guys recommend for handling the memory cooling or am I just dreaming here?

Thanks,

Synyster

Ek are bringing out an AIO with support for adding more components, so maybe one of their fullcover blocks may take your fancy?

idk

1 hour ago, Synyster182 said:

Hello Everyone,

My first post here and it's because I normally can come up with solutions on my own fairly well but this time around I am curious to see what a community will think. I have a MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 TI and want to water cool it. Problem is it seems to be a customer PCB and I don't want to cook the VRAM without some kind of direct cooling. Corsair seems to have teamed up with MSI for a customer water blocked Founders Edition.. But even on Air Cooling my card is faster when over clocked. So I'd like to just do it myself. It appears they are using a H55 or H90 for their build with the FE frame around it. Probably for cooling ram. Now good news for me is that my card extends out to just in front of my Push case fans blowing air into my case. I can put the waterblock in my Pull fan position and have it blow air out still, even through the radiator. But what would you guys recommend for handling the memory cooling or am I just dreaming here?

Thanks,

Synyster

Why do you want to water cool it?  Are you having heat issues?  I have this exact same card, and admittedly have good case air flow, but my card idles in the 20's (C), and hits low to mid 60's (C) while gaming.  That is excellent.  I've never seen my card even hit 70C.  It is a very well cooled card.  I use MSI Afterburner and set a fan profile of 60% and it is silent.  If it's a super hot day I might even set the fans to 70% - but you really cant hear anything.  They are great fans.  If you really need to water cool it, I would sell what you have and get one of the AIO cooled versions by MSI or EVGA. Opening it up or modding it will void your warranty.

4 hours ago, hapkiman said:

Why do you want to water cool it?  Are you having heat issues?  I have this exact same card, and admittedly have good case air flow, but my card idles in the 20's (C), and hits low to mid 60's (C) while gaming.  That is excellent.  I've never seen my card even hit 70C.  It is a very well cooled card.  I use MSI Afterburner and set a fan profile of 60% and it is silent.  If it's a super hot day I might even set the fans to 70% - but you really cant hear anything.  They are great fans.  If you really need to water cool it, I would sell what you have and get one of the AIO cooled versions by MSI or EVGA. Opening it up or modding it will void your warranty.

See that is the crazy part. I have been seeing up to 90C when gaming. I have just torn my entire case apart. Reseated my CPU with fresh thermal paste. Gutted and cleaned my fans and magnetic fan filters, blown all the vents. Even right now in Idle I am getting getting 42C with fan at 22%. I have compensated the temp by setting a custom scaling curve for the Fan. I have also moved my PC back to on top of my desk where more air flow can occur to further investigate this issue. Cause your temps are what I keep hearing about people getting and reading about. Even when over clocked. Since gutting the system and redoing all the fans I have seen a drop. in game i get between 65-70 around 70%-90% fan speed.

msi 1080.PNG

This is what he temps look like in Full Load with BF1. You can see a bit of Alt+Tabbing in the charts.

BF1 Full Load.PNG