Gigabyte 1080 ti extreme fan issues?

Hebekleberg

Hi, I was interested in getting gigabyte's 1080 ti extreme but I was noticing that some people were giving it 1 star due to quality control for the fans or coil noise.  Is this still an issue plaguing the card or is it safe to buy now?

9 minutes ago, Hebekleberg said:

Hi, I was interested in getting gigabyte's 1080 ti extreme but I was noticing that some people were giving it 1 star due to quality control for the fans or coil noise.  Is this still an issue plaguing the card or is it safe to buy now?

Get an asus one, much more capable and better at oc and has rgb lighting 

9 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

Get an asus one, much more capable and better at oc and has rgb lighting 

Thanks for the response. The asus strix is a bit out of the price range seeing as the ti is already really expensive for me.  Do you have any knowledge of the gigabyte problems?  As far as I know it performs the best and it is the quietest. Also I don't really need to oc the ti yet since I am only doing 1440p

You can literally snatch almost any 1080ti and it won't make a bit of difference other than an out of the box OC. Buy whatever suits your budget and has adequate cooling. Don't stick to a single manufacturer just for the sake of sticking to one, look at all offerings and purchase based on local pricing.

This generation of Nvidia GPUs as stated by many, many, many outlets is essentially hard-capped. If you want to overclock, everything will overclock at about the same level (just above 2000mhz, 2030-2050, very few will do more), and to add to that, it's not going to be a night and day difference. Get the best cooling you can for the money as that'll affect the baseline performance on the card more than any individual manufacturer implementation of the 1080ti.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

8 minutes ago, Hebekleberg said:

Thanks for the response. The asus strix is a bit out of the price range seeing as the ti is already really expensive for me.  Do you have any knowledge of the gigabyte problems?  As far as I know it performs the best and it is the quietest. Also I don't really need to oc the ti yet since I am only doing 1440p

My gigabyte 970 gets quite loud at 1080p but I don't know about the 1080ti

9 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

You can literally snatch almost any 1080ti and it won't make a bit of difference other than an out of the box OC. Buy whatever suits your budget and has adequate cooling. Don't stick to a single manufacturer just for the sake of sticking to one, look at all offerings and purchase based on local pricing.

This generation of Nvidia GPUs as stated by many, many, many outlets is essentially hard-capped. If you want to overclock, everything will overclock at about the same level (just above 2000mhz, 2030-2050, very few will do more), and to add to that, it's not going to be a night and day difference. Get the best cooling you can for the money as that'll affect the baseline performance on the card more than any individual manufacturer implementation of the 1080ti.

Thank you, that's very helpful. 

Just an extra FYI, since I kind of skipped this point by mistake. The cooler on the Xtreme 1080ti and their Aorus stuff in general is pretty flimsy. They went for the whole metal thing when in fact the structural rigidity of the cooler is pretty poor. So I wouldn't put issues with fans past them. Everything else though from blower coolers (which you shouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole) to EVGA, MSI, ASUS, with the exception of some silly design choices on the Zotac Amp edition are totally fine.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

54 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Just an extra FYI, since I kind of skipped this point by mistake. The cooler on the Xtreme 1080ti and their Aorus stuff in general is pretty flimsy. They went for the whole metal thing when in fact the structural rigidity of the cooler is pretty poor. So I wouldn't put issues with fans past them. Everything else though from blower coolers (which you shouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole) to EVGA, MSI, ASUS, with the exception of some silly design choices on the Zotac Amp edition are totally fine.

Out of curiosity, which ti would you go with that is under $780 usd

20 minutes ago, Hebekleberg said:

Out of curiosity, which ti would you go with that is under $780 usd

Well, just to correct myself somewhat. Truth be told, there will always be faulty components, and generally speaking an Xtreme 1080ti would probably do the job unless it was somehow broken in transit or something.

That being said, if you're on a fairly strict budget, I can do even better than that if need be.

EVGA 1080ti SC: $720

EVGA 1080ti SC2: $750

EVGA 1080ti Black Edition: $710

There's also their US web store for reference HERE

I keep track of the market generally, and have tinkered with cards from different manufacturers. The Strix definitely stands out as a Cooling Performer vs Noise, but, of course, you pay the ASUS premium. The MSI Gaming lineup is alright, albeit slightly less optimal cooling, and same-ish price premium. Gigabyte offers alright pricing, but I think they go way over the top with their bulky, non-cohesive coolers lately, even though their PCBs are pretty overkill, although some would disagree.

If I had to snatch a 1080ti now, unless I just wanted to throw away cash, I'd honestly gravitate more towards the EVGA offerings. They're reasonably priced, they're cooled well, they're not overly bulky for the cooling they offer, and they have the usual excellent EVGA warranty/support. Not to mention the EVGA Step Up program (which allows you to ship in your card at your expense but receive a largely discounted new card from their eligible lineup every couple of years or so I think, something like that). Don't treat this as gospel, just somewhat educated consumer info.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave