High ping AF I really need your help

Ivo_Svk

Hi I'm Ivo 

I'm from Slovakia and I have high ping.

So let's begin ...

I have adsl 15/1 internet from Telekom (ISP in my country) and that's max speed in place where I live. 

My router is TP-LINK TD-W8961NB 

My wifi card is Edimax EW-7612PIn V2

My pc is connected via wifi because router is in other room and ethernet wiring can not be done 

To wifi is connected some ridiculous number devices like 4-10 ( one device watch lots of youtube 720p videos, other devices mostly do nothing or just browse web )

I've tried running ehternet cable ( I risked mom hazard ) with no other devices connected and my ping was bad too 

also my buddy living on the same street 5 houses away from me have bad ping 

So here is my question how I can get better ping in game ???

Can power line or some really good router like NETDUMA R1 (keep in mind I will have to use my old modem/router as a modem)  help me ??? 

20170718141017_1.jpg

20170405133452_1.jpg

jasitouzivamjasacitimdobre.png

I use powerline and it reduced ping drastically from wifi as well as downspeed, apart from that the issue is your internet.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

The main issue is the number of devices you have trying to share that amount of bandwidth.

Since you've tried running a cable from the router itself and that didn't help, there is nothing that can be done. You should test other servers like Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8) - my ping is 11-13ms and I have internet from a local WiFi provider (I'm connected through their WiFi and then through my WiFi router at home).

Your latency is abnormally high and there could be a problem somewhere else possibly (Telekom's infrastructure). The other thing I'm thinking of right now is that you can try contacting Telekom if you find out that your latency is high on other servers (like Google DNS). They have a telephone number for reporting malfunctions (0800123777). Keep in mind that you will need your parents for that as they will ask details about the contract as name, address to verify caller's identity.

I know something about Telekom's infrastructure. It's old and they are squeezing every last bit of bandwidth from their old cabling and network gear. In a lot of places they have 20+ year cables. I'm very lucky that they reconstructed my street and connected everyone on fiber this year. But before that, they couldn't even connect us to the internet and few lucky people on the street with internet from them were having a lot of connection issues, instability and low speeds.

If you want a better connection you can try entering your address at www.porovnat.sk. It will show you all available ISPs at your address.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

2 hours ago, Ivo_Svk said:

Hi I'm Ivo 

I'm from Slovakia and I have high ping.

So let's begin ...

I have adsl 15/1 internet from Telekom (ISP in my country) and that's max speed in place where I live. 

My router is TP-LINK TD-W8961NB 

My wifi card is Edimax EW-7612PIn V2

My pc is connected via wifi because router is in other room and ethernet wiring can not be done 

To wifi is connected some ridiculous number devices like 4-10 ( one device watch lots of youtube 720p videos, other devices mostly do nothing or just browse web )

I've tried running ehternet cable ( I risked mom hazard ) with no other devices connected and my ping was bad too 

also my buddy living on the same street 5 houses away from me have bad ping 

So here is my question how I can get better ping in game ???

Can power line or some really good router like NETDUMA R1 (keep in mind I will have to use my old modem/router as a modem)  help me ??? 

20170718141017_1.jpg

20170405133452_1.jpg

jasitouzivamjasacitimdobre.png

1 hour ago, redteam4ever said:

Since you've tried running a cable from the router itself and that didn't help, there is nothing that can be done. You should test other servers like Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8) - my ping is 11-13ms and I have internet from a local WiFi provider (I'm connected through their WiFi and then through my WiFi router at home).

Your latency is abnormally high and there could be a problem somewhere else possibly (Telekom's infrastructure). The other thing I'm thinking of right now is that you can try contacting Telekom if you find out that your latency is high on other servers (like Google DNS). They have a telephone number for reporting malfunctions (0800123777). Keep in mind that you will need your parents for that as they will ask details about the contract as name, address to verify caller's identity.

I know something about Telekom's infrastructure. It's old and they are squeezing every last bit of bandwidth from their old cabling and network gear. In a lot of places they have 20+ year cables. I'm very lucky that they reconstructed my street and connected everyone on fiber this year. But before that, they couldn't even connect us to the internet and few lucky people on the street with internet from them were having a lot of connection issues, instability and low speeds.

If you want a better connection you can try entering your address at www.porovnat.sk. It will show you all available ISPs at your address.

Id have to concur with @redteam4ever you have a shit ISP. Its DSL on top of that. DSL is a dead technology. You need a new ISP. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Id have to concur with @redteam4ever you have a shit ISP. Its DSL on top of that. DSL is a dead technology. You need a new ISP. 

Well, it depends on location. Telekom has the only nationwide network here. Other providers only rent Telekom's network capacity. At least they implemented VDSL2 on metallic and finally started to move their endpoints to fiber. It's slowly getting better. Some smaller ISPs have metropolitan fiber networks. Also Orange and SWAN have some fiber coverage, but mainly in places with dense population (read: where these magical buildings are).

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

6 minutes ago, redteam4ever said:

Well, it depends on location. Telekom has the only nationwide network here. Other providers only rent Telekom's network capacity. At least they implemented VDSL2 on metallic and finally started to move their endpoints to fiber. It's slowly getting better. Some smaller ISPs have metropolitan fiber networks. Also Orange and SWAN have some fiber coverage, but mainly in places with dense population (read: where these magical buildings are).

DSL or VDSL will never be able to live up to what Cable and Fiber providers can do. Here in the US many of our major DSL providers are walking away from the Copper on the poles to deliver LTE service instead. Because they dont want to make the investment. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

DSL or VDSL will never be able to live up to what Cable and Fiber providers can do. Here in the US many of our major DSL providers are walking away from the Copper on the poles to deliver LTE service instead. Because they dont want to make the investment. 

Yeah, I know. But at least they replaced most of their DSLAMs.

Telekom is also a mobile provider here. They are currently the leader in LTE. It used to be Eurotel, from 2004 T-Mobile (owned by Telekom) and then they merged with Telekom in 2010 (the mobile network quality is the Eurotel/T-Mobile legacy).

Telekom has the best LTE coverage and speeds (based on P3 Communication independent testing), but the prices are high and data limits are low. And with the new EU roaming regulations I don't see it changing soon (but I don't think that regulation is bad either). Basically, you can get 15GB of data for 30€/month. So, there's that.

Bottom line:

They won't move to 4G for homes. Slovakia is a small country with a lot of mountains and it would cost too much.

Call you ISP and ask them to move from interleaved to fast. They can do it because I do it for customers all the time. The problem is DSL is shit, plain and simple. Interleaved is used to fight interference on the line which naturally plagues DSL. Switching to fast and the delay to 0-1ms will remove the extra ping as its not buffering now to fix noisy lines.

Enjoy 10ms pings. 

14 hours ago, redteam4ever said:

there is nothing that can be done.

Its a configuration on he ISPs side. I can be fixed. I fix it all the time ( Im a tier 3 DSL tech for an ISP)

Your latency is abnormally high and there could be a problem somewhere else possibly (Telekom's infrastructure)

Its not abnormal. DSL by nature is affected by anything that emits electricity and buffers combined with algorithms are used to fight this interference. Switching the connection to fast instead of interleaved removes the buffers. I have customers with 8ms pings to google on ADSL2+. It can match fibers performance. But DSL is still shit. 

In a lot of places they have 20+ year cables

I am on the northern east coast and some towns here are so old they still have 90 year old lines. I am the one stuck getting DSL to work on them. 

16 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its a configuration on he ISPs side. I can be fixed. I fix it all the time ( Im a tier 3 DSL tech for an ISP)

Its not abnormal. DSL by nature is affected by anything that emits electricity and buffers combined with algorithms are used to fight this interference. Switching the connection to fast instead of interleaved removes the buffers. I have customers with 8ms pings to google on ADSL2+. It can match fibers performance. But DSL is still shit. 

I am on the northern east coast and some towns here are so old they still have 90 year old lines. I am the one stuck getting DSL to work on them. 

I see that you know more than I do. By abnormally high, I mean that I have never seen that in any place that I was helping to get the internet from Telekom going. I don't work at Telekom, but I helped a lot of friends that are non-techies when they've got the self-installation kit from them because it's still quite confusing to non-techies. I always do a speed test when I'm done and I've never seen more than 30ms anywhere (but I live in a relatively big city).

If it's as easy as changing the configuration, then the solution is very simple - contact Telekom at 0800123777 and complain about high latency. Keep in mind that they will ask you about the contract details to verify your identity. Also they may provide additional troubleshooting steps.

5 minutes ago, redteam4ever said:

I see that you know more than I do. By abnormally high, I mean that I have never seen that in any place that I was helping to get the internet from Telekom going. I don't work at Telekom, but I helped a lot of friends that are non-techies when they've got the self-installation kit from them because it's still quite confusing to non-techies. I always do a speed test when I'm done and I've never seen more than 30ms anywhere (but I live in a relatively big city).

If it's as easy as changing the configuration, then the solution is very simple - contact Telekom at 0800123777 and complain about high latency. Keep in mind that they will ask you about the contract details to verify your identity. Also they may provide additional troubleshooting steps.

Yeah ping that high is actually really normal for DSL. Especially if someone starts streaming you can see above 1 sec pings. Big cities for the most part have removed DSL as to clean up the clutter of copper pairs crowding the streets but rural places still have them. Its probably why you have notices pings that high. 

But yeah a simple call and request of changing from Fast to interleaved would fix the issue. ISPs should be pretty compliant when a customer request an exact configuration because they know that the customer understands what they are seeing. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah ping that high is actually really normal for DSL. Especially if someone starts streaming you can see above 1 sec pings. Big cities for the most part have removed DSL as to clean up the clutter of copper pairs crowding the streets but rural places still have them. Its probably why you have notices pings that high. 

But yeah a simple call and request of changing from Fast to interleaved would fix the issue. ISPs should be pretty compliant when a customer request an exact configuration because they know that the customer understands what they are seeing. 

No, we have DSL everywhere, and the observed ping was only for DSL (recently I've connected some people on my street to fiber, I haven't seen more than 10ms on fiber). My big city comment was more about DSLAM density and wiring quality as it's more probable that wiring it's newer than in rural areas where the cost of rennovation per connection point would be too high.

What server/ip did you trying pinging, you could try a trace route to that server, just to get an idea of how many hops there are between you, even if there is lots though like all the others are saying there is not much that can be done other than getting a new ISP.

Yeah, as others have said it's probably your ISP, or it could be an issue with your NIC?  Or even the cable itself.  Many variables, but my first thought would be your ISP, try and ping 8.8.8.8 as that's Google's DNS server, and see what response you get.  If you can go onto speedtest.net and decent speeds then clearly it's not your internet, and it's the server you're connecting to.  

Another possibility is it's your router, I had a situation where my router would overheat and run very slowly for a period of time.  If you find the longer you play the slower it gets, it could be that.  Issues with the cable and NIC are pretty uncommon with this kind of hardware, as there isn't much for interference and you got the same speeds over Wifi. So ask your neighbors perhaps if you can connect to their network for a  minute to test your speed? or go to your friends house and try it?   Just a little troubleshooting.  

I'm not a networking pro, but hopefully this helps. 

• 4 weeks later...

I FIX IT !!!!

So here is what i done 

after your suggestions I talked with Telekom and they gave me the software called WinMTR, to diagnose network I've run it a couple times and I was getting latency to my router on average 23ms and worst was like 600ms. So i've risked againg mom hazard and plug my pc to router with cable and I was getting same result. I found my old router and made test with it and everything was fine except ping on wifi was bad. I asked my uncle if it's possible to run cable from roof to my room a he said yes We worked for 2 days, It was hard and frustrating but it was worth it, my ping is fine now.

Btw I refunded that bad router and they gave me new one which I using now 

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR HELP 

PING .png