Do I need a number pad for programming?

Surpuppa
Go to solution Solved by Azgoth 2,

Short answer, no, you don't need one.  Longer answer, you are unlikely to see much benefit from one unless 1) you've always had a numpad, and thus just never learned to type on the number row, 2) you are constantly entering numeric values.  E.g., hard-coding some arrays, manually specifying numeric coefficients in mathematical equations, or doing data-entry type activities.  For that, a numpad tends to speed me up a lot, but only when I'm entering many numbers in succession without needing to jump back to the main keyboard area.

So if you want a TKL, get a TKL.  You can always get a dedicated, perfectly usable USB numpad for pretty cheap if you find yourself really needing one later.  Or, I think there are some keyboard that have a detachable numpad section.

I'm new to programming, and I need to buy a keyboard since my current one broke. I'm considering a 10 keyless board but I don't know if I need the number pad. Should I go with a full size board instead?

Ehhh... No. 

But I prefer having one. Its just a preference.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I never use it for programming.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

My own experience is that it gets in the way thus I prefer tenkeyless (TKL). This is not specifically limited to programing however but generally I find that the distance to the mouse can cause RSI (if right handed - I'm ambidextrous but generally the mouse goes on the right hand side). 

Just be sure to get a mechanical as you may be spending a great deal of time typing. If you do go mechanical and you plan on bringing it into a professional setting then consider avoiding Cherry Blues as the noise can make those around you rage (even when 'O' ringed)...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

The point that @Nuluvius brought up is a good point. A narrower keyboard will allow for more ergonomic arm positioning. 

In my opinion, as long as you have a normal layout and easy access to the Home and End key, you are golden. 

I personally like flatter keyboards where minimal finger movement is required to make a keystroke, so I tend to stay away from mechanical switches. It's all up to personal preference though.

Either way, you should learn to get very familiar with text navigation without ever touching your mouse. Vim has a very neat way of navigating text, but you can also become more efficient with just the arrow-keys and shortcuts than you ever will be while moving your hand over to the mouse all the time. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

numpad is good for people who deal with numbers. Its basically like a mini calculator (hence why many math operators are there too). For programmers, not really. So just get based on your preference. Sometimes not having a numpad can be a good thing if you lac kspace.

I've basically never use my number pad for anything, so short answer no it's not needed. The thing is that basically all the keys on a number pad can be found elsewhere on a keyboard.

No you don't. I have a TKL keyboard and I have never felt that I needed a numberpad for programming. 

Short answer, no, you don't need one.  Longer answer, you are unlikely to see much benefit from one unless 1) you've always had a numpad, and thus just never learned to type on the number row, 2) you are constantly entering numeric values.  E.g., hard-coding some arrays, manually specifying numeric coefficients in mathematical equations, or doing data-entry type activities.  For that, a numpad tends to speed me up a lot, but only when I'm entering many numbers in succession without needing to jump back to the main keyboard area.

So if you want a TKL, get a TKL.  You can always get a dedicated, perfectly usable USB numpad for pretty cheap if you find yourself really needing one later.  Or, I think there are some keyboard that have a detachable numpad section.

No.

When you're programming both of your hands are on (the letter part) of the keyboard.

So if you want to enter a number, it is more natural to use the number keys at the top of the keyboard anyways.

Also TKL is amazing for gaming (no more hitting your keyboard with your mouse while playing fps games).

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro