Would a capture card remove some stress from CPU/Ram?

nemaides
Go to solution Solved by rentaspoon,

I guess so, but my headset is using 5.1 sorround on 3.5mm jacks :/

But yeah, i guess it's a solution, then i could have the USB soundcard hooked up to my laptop when i stream, and switch it back when i'm not.

Guess no matter what i'm getting a PVR2 and then i can try out the software you sent or Virtual Audio Cable :)

Appreciate your help! :)

If that's the case your soundcard should have a optical out? If that's the case hdmi and optical to pvr 2, soundcard as the sound output, duplicate the sound through the optical and jacks (I done this with onboard realtek stuff) so should be possible.

Should be the cheapest and easiest way.

As the title says, i wanna start streaming again, but i'm currently lagging in some games (not bad lag, but enough to screw my aim, small stutter even in games like Counter-strike source), so i was wondering if i got a capture card, would that help release some stress from the CPU?

The plan is to install it in the same system, so i run 2 HDMI cables 1 from GPU -> Capture card and 1 from Capture card -> Monitor.

I currently cannot afford upgrading my CPU/Mobo/Ram, so i'm thinking of this solution instead, would it work?

If yes, how well would it work and what card would you recommend?

If no, any other solutions you know of?

Also, it isn't possible to run 120hz on hdmi is it?

i think so.

But i think it mostly will take out the stress from the GPU`?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

i think so.

But i think it mostly will take out the stress from the GPU`?

If i'm not mistaking the encoding happends on the CPU, so getting the capture card to take care of the encoding should release some preasure from the CPU.

I also wondered if i should wait for the Nvidia Shadowplay streaming feature, see how that works, but i'm really thinking it won't be better than OBS/FFSpli/xSplit with their features.

Why not just spend the money that the card would cost you on better hardware?

And yeah, you're right. HDMI can't do 120Hz @ 1080p.

Considering that Xboxes tend to have no problem with capcards (my proof being the almost bottomless collection of trollarch vids) then they should be a good match for your PC by all means.

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

Why not just spend the money that the card would cost you on better hardware?

And yeah, you're right. HDMI can't do 120Hz @ 1080p.

From my post :) 

I currently cannot afford upgrading my CPU/Mobo/Ram

Considering that Xboxes tend to have no problem with capcards (my proof being the almost bottomless collection of trollarch vids) then they should be a good match for your PC by all means.

Ty for your answer :) will see what other people write, but so far i am gonna buy a capture card :)

Whoops, skim-read.

Which card were you looking at buying?

Haha, that's okay ;)

I have no idea yet, hoped someone knew something about what card is best ect. btw, please let's not start a capture card fight (like ect. ps vs xbox)  :D

I'm sure some cheaper capture cards rely on your cpu so you may take the load off the gpu and onto the cpu?

I'm interested in what settings your running in game and what games your playing because unless your showcasing graphics on a game people won't notice much drop in the graphics which might give you that little extra fps.

Haha, that's okay ;)

I have no idea yet, hoped someone knew something about what card is best ect. btw, please let's not start a capture card fight (like ect. ps vs xbox)  :D

Haha, that's okay ;)

We need to know your budget so we can make a reccomendation. What's yours?

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

Haha, that's okay ;)

The only capture cards worth buying are the Hauppauge HD PVR 2, Elgato Game Capture HD and the Blackmagic intensity pro. The reason i say this is that they are the most popular and as such should recieve updates for the foreseeable future, which from past experience when i bought a cheap capture card, you need updates.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

The only capture cards worth buying are the Hauppauge HD PVR 2, Elgato Game Capture HD and the Blackmagic intensity pro. The reason i say this is that they are the most popular and as such should recieve updates for the foreseeable future, which from past experience when i bought a cheap capture card, you need updates.

Hey! Thanks for the suggestions, i might go for the PVR 2, since i just remembered i kinda have no more expansion slots left in my pc xD or i have, but there's so much static noise going to the other cards, ect. i got alot of static noise in my soundcard since it's either to close to my psu or gpu.. can't place it in the middle....

And the PVR seems nice, since i got a laptop with USB3.0, i5 and 6gb ram, so i won't run out of bandwith, and could potentially use that for streaming while gaming on my pc :)

Do you have any idea what the difference between the PVR 2 and the PVR 2 Plus is???

I can only find the optical in support and the mac support.... (both i don't need, yay :3)

Hmm, also...

If it isn't possible to stream from the same PC and get the same performance as if i was using my laptop to recieve the PVR 2 output, how would i get my music, teamspeak and other sounds transferred to my laptop to get streamed, without using the HDMI sound, since i wanna use my 5.1 sorround soundcard to recieve the sound in my headphones :/

What are your current system specs ?

• CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 3.07GHz @ 3.9GHz OC
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0
  • RAM
    12,00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3. 1333MHz
  • GPU
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB
  • Case
    Corsair Carbide 600R (White)
  • Storage
    1x OCZ Agility 3 120GB, 3x HDD 1TB 7200RPM
  • PSU
    Corsair AX850 (850W)
  • Display(s)
    BenQ XL2420T, LG FLATRON W2261VP
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i
  • Keyboard
    Steelseries 6gv2 Red
  • Mouse
    Razer Deathadder 2013 (RIP old Deathadder 3.5)
  • Sound
    Creative SoundBlaster Z with CM Storm Sirus 5.1

Just copied from my profile, didn't bother make it look nice ^^

What outputs do you have/use on you gfx card?

Currently i'm using Dual-Link DVI for my BenQ XL2420T and also DVI for my LG monitor, i'm okay with playing games in 60hz and use HDMI for my BenQ monitor to use the PVR 2.

The outputs on the GTX760 is: Dual-link DVI-I x 1, Dual-link DVI-D x 1, HDMI x 1 (version 1.4a), DisplayPort x 1 (version 1.2)  :)

Keep your setup but use your laptop and duplicate the screen through the hdmi to your pvr 2 if you can

Keep your setup but use your laptop and duplicate the screen through the hdmi to your pvr 2 if you can

But how am i gonna get my audio streamed then?

If i chose hdmi output for the audio i got no audio in my headphones..

Bearing in mind you technically have "2/3 soundcards". Ill have to do some research but if you enable the sound through Hdmi as there should be its own dedicated audio and your soundcard for your headphones.

Bearing in mind you technically have "2/3 soundcards". Ill have to do some research but if you enable the sound through Hdmi as there should be its own dedicated audio and your soundcard for your headphones.

If you find out please tell :)

I'm thinking of maybe using Virtual Audio Cable to split the sounds, but i'm not familiar with it, so don't know if it's possible.