Windows XP product key activation

londostuckey

Hi all,

I work for a company that builds monitoring systems for power companies. One of our customers is a small power company that has windows XP service pack 1A on it's computer. This customer is afraid of WannaCry from all the news coverage, and he downloaded a patch, but the patch requires service pack 3.

My first problem is you can't download SP3 from the Microsoft site anymore, so I gave the customer a copy of XP SP3 I got from a good archive site. I ran it and it worked in the shop. He ran it and said it asked him to activate windows product key online. Well, he is apparently not online ,as the computer is in a remote power station.

I know, you're saying "If the computer is not online it won't get WannaCry" .I told them. Anyway, for some reason he didn't want to call in the product key, and my boss wants me to find a way to activate windows XP without internet or calling Microsoft.

Isn't that illegal, even if you did pay for the product key? Anyway, even if it is, I don't know how anyway, I'm just looking for confirmation before  tell my boss I can't commit software piracy for him.

Thanks.

You're pretty much spot on with the options.

1) Call Microsoft and do phone activation (It's an automated system that takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes to complete and is the best and easiest way in this situation)

2) Activate the system by bringing it online/connecting it to the internet

3) Install a hack that bypasses activation which will then put them at risk of being accused of software piracy

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

36 minutes ago, londostuckey said:

I know, you're saying "If the computer is not online it won't get WannaCry" .I told them. Anyway, for some reason he didn't want to call in the product key, and my boss wants me to find a way to activate windows XP without internet or calling Microsoft.

Isn't that illegal, even if you did pay for the product key? Anyway, even if it is, I don't know how anyway, I'm just looking for confirmation before  tell my boss I can't commit software piracy for him.

Thanks.

No one might help you in the forum for activating Windows XP without calling Microsoft since condoning piracy is condemned in the forum. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside